Problems with charging battery

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Annelee   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 09:52am
Member No: #2912
Thanks for the replies.

In the beginning when the battery was flat, the boot wouldn't open so we charged it from under the bonnet for about a week. When the battery was charged the boot wouldn't open and the engine wouldn't turn over but the car was showing a charged battery,

The battery went flat again, we charged it up again and this time as soon as we put the charger on to the terminals under the bonnet the alarm goes off, the boot still doesn't open, the engine doesn't turn over. The battery is now very flat, when we disconnect the charger the alarm fades out after about 30 seconds.

We can only open the drivers door with the manual key. I have gone in and had a look through the ski hatch (we have the lounge pack) to see where the manual boot release is as I have been told that other people in this position have made a tool themselves to undo it. I couldn't see the boot release but I will go and have another look if that is the only path open to me.

I wondered whether if I took the main fuse out from behind the glove compartment I could still charge the battery from under the bonnet, that way the alarm won't go off. Oh yes, and I checked the fob keys with a multi-meter and the battery in it isn't flat (it won't open the doors).
f
I am going to ring a local dealer to ask how much they will charge to come out and open the boot, I don't know what they can do, they may have to make a tool for the job/ I shall let you know what they say in case it is of use to somebody else.

Cheers everyone.

I hope this clarifies the situation further. ;
gmerry   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 11:16am
Member No: #21
Hi, once you have the boot open, you need to disconnect the battery and then once that is charged or replaced, reset the BSI. (details on this website somewhere). That will get you past the Alarm problem. The BSI issues are probably caused by repeated low voltage events.

The starter sounds suspect: but you need to work through each problem (the battery, BSI, the starter) in the correct order.

The boot on cars without Lounge Pack, can be opened by folding down the rear seats and accessing the latch from inside.

regards
IMHO, don't mess with the fuses. The alarm is a symptom not a cause
Hattershaun   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 06:48pm
Member No: #320
Did you try putting jump leads onto the under bonnet connections, then connecting to another car's battery (with engine running)?

This should give you enough power to unlock the doors and open the boot. You may need to leave the jump leads connects for a few minutes to get some power into the flat battery.
Trainman   
Wed Apr 05 2017, 10:44am

Member No: #86
have a look at this: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club