Sits down after a run - rear suspension

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
exXM   
Wed Jan 18 2017, 05:13pm
Member No: #432
Hi folks, Todays puzzle..
After a run, everything seems normal, except a couple of hours later the rear suspension has deflated to what seems on the bump stops, front is OK. Unlock the car and the pump whizzes normally. After about 15 seconds there's sort of whoosh from under the rear and it jumps up suddenly. The pump keeps running until normal height is attained. Lock up again and 2 days later the suspension is still normal. Go for a run and the rear sinks again as described. Occasionally if I open the boot whist the rear suspension is still rising it suddenly drops a bit before finally getting to full height. Opening the doors makes the normal slight height adjustments.
I drives OK except maybe a little more pitching than usual. A bit like when the ride height was not correct on my old XM's.
So, it seems that fluid is getting back to the reservoir from the rear only, but only immediately after a run. After 113,000 miles I accept that spheres probably need doing. I have done 97,000 of the miles myself so am familiar with what's normal and this is all new (and consistent for the last few weeks).
Sorry for the long post. I have looked carefully at the other rear suspension posts but don't think this is the same.
cruiserphil   
Wed Jan 18 2017, 08:23pm

Member No: #38
exXM,

Have a search on the site. This problem is posted on. It's a sticking rear comfort valve. When you stop the car it goes from soft to firm mode. But if the valve sticks it can give a path for the rear suspension pressurised fluid straight back to tank, as you describe! You may find if you drive on a rough road it can drop suddenly.

Best regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Wed Jan 18 2017, 08:37pm

exXM,

Here's the link - Click Here -
exXM   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 03:15pm
Member No: #432
Thanks Cruiserphil. I had seen your post (and Trav's) but confused by the different driving and parked behaviours I thought it must be a subtly different problem. I will return to my local Indie (who had just replaced a front suspension cylinder)and discuss the action. Sadly I am no longer able to lie under the car on my cobbled drive in the depths of winter!
Cheers,
Martin B
cruiserphil   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 07:37pm

Martin B,
The symptoms you described sound just like what I experienced. As I said in one of the posts you could just go for the solenoid operated valve first. It was Travlician who pointed me to the right place. With good access it's not a difficult job to carry out. Best of luck with it.

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club