C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Intermittent Headlamp Fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Fri Nov 25 2016, 08:20am
Member No: #2793
Well, the new toy seems to have settled in and be performing fine; 2k miles under the belt and, touch wood, no issues of any consequence.

Last night however the LH headlamp flashed off and on several times (they were turned on), finally staying off with the dipped headlamp symbol flashing on the dash. Turned the lights off and on again and it came back to life OK.

Is there a known bad connection issue and if so, where ---- or am I looking at a failing bulb / igniter ?

Mike.
gmerry   
Fri Nov 25 2016, 11:40am
Member No: #21
Your symptoms are classic for a failing HID bulb: suggest you replace both while you are at it and to get an even colour match. Watch out for fake bulbs on sale. Follow the instructions posted on this website, to the letter, to get the correct mating of bulb, retaining ring, ballast and cable

regards
G
Cisco   
Fri Nov 25 2016, 01:12pm
Member No: #1429
Mike,

My nearside light has been "failing" like that, occasionally, for the last 3 years! however it has only happened when automatic headlight mode is selected.

I'm planning to address it before I sell the car

All the best

Frank
Dan595   
Fri Nov 25 2016, 11:11pm
Member No: #299
gmerry wrote ...

Your symptoms are classic for a failing HID bulb: suggest you replace both while you are at it and to get an even colour match. Watch out for fake bulbs on sale. Follow the instructions posted on this website, to the letter, to get the correct mating of bulb, retaining ring, ballast and cable

regards
G

This. I didn't replace both sides at the same time though. Nearside is much easier than offside, although I managed to do both without removing bumper or other stuff.
C6Chester   
Sat Nov 26 2016, 10:37am
Member No: #2287
I didn't realise there was an automatic headlight mode on the C6, how do you activate it?
Cisco   
Sat Nov 26 2016, 11:38am
Member No: #1429
C6Chester wrote ...

I didn't realise there was an automatic headlight mode on the C6, how do you activate it?

Main Menu/Configuration/Define vehicle parameters/Configure lighting/Automatic headlights on.

Page 17 owners manual.
onthecut   
Sun Nov 27 2016, 05:34pm
Member No: #2793
Thanks for the input guys.

Who are the OE bulb manufacturers ?

Mike.
MikeH   
Sun Nov 27 2016, 08:38pm
Member No: #1555
Mike - I had exactly the same problem with mine and after replacing a bulb, I ended up replacing the ballast unit which had failed through water ingress and corrosion of the circuit board. There is a good supplier of brand new ballast units in Germany (don't be tempted by reconditioned units), so if the replacement bulbs don't solve the problem, send me a PM. Good luck.
gmerry   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 02:01pm
Member No: #21
Osram are OE. I would stick with the original colour temperature too. The whole optics are designed around this.

regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club