Author Post
mebedforduk   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 10:12am
Member No: #1780
Morning All
191k with g box issues on eBay £1.5k
It is wait for it 3 miles from my house

Do I
A) buy and drive for its short mot to get the c6 bug out of me?
B) be sensible and stick with the 250k Audi

Come on, high milage citroen with issues why would anyone buy it .....

Cheers

APG1959   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 10:52am
Member No: #1034
Offer £500 and walk away if they say 'no'.
mebedforduk   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 11:01am
Sensible head vote 1

Quite evasive as to the extent of the issues and not taken to anyone to have a look. They are in the same village as Wolsey house motors so surely you would trundle it down the road just to see the teeth sucking
David Hallworth   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 01:15pm

Member No: #90
My advice would be that if you've never had a C6 before, buy a good one. A bad C6 can be very bad and very expensive to put right. A good C6 on the other hand is great.

A gearbox repair is about £2k and you'll always have a 200k mile car which will be a nightmare to get rid of.

David.
mebedforduk   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 07:32pm
Thanks David
Yep sensible approach. A C6 does not actually work for us, completely impractical but I've never got over giving up the XMs ( I remember you from the forums)

Still if I could get it cheap enough and have a blast for a few months what the hell

It's only money after all

Swimbo was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and after years of building up a nice pot of rainy day money we have had a huge wake up call.

She is going for a stupid 3.0 all road a6 with two fingers up to the greeny tree huggers

I will have a test drive and see how I feel. Can't see him shifting to anyone apart from the clockers so and offer is better than nothing

Cheers
Mark
David Hallworth   
Sun Oct 30 2016, 07:56pm

Member No: #90
Hi Mark,

I recognised your username earlier and vaguely remembered you from a few years back. Sorry to hear about your wife bad news. It knocks everything into perspective, doesn't it!

Hopefully she'll be one of the lucky ones and make a full recovery.

All the best,

David.
onthecut   
Mon Oct 31 2016, 08:37am
Member No: #2793
'
I recognised your username earlier and vaguely remembered you from a few years back. Sorry to hear about your wife bad news. It knocks everything into perspective, doesn't it!

Hopefully she'll be one of the lucky ones and make a full recovery.
'

Ditto.

As a new C6 owner myself and having got one that seems broadly straight, I've still spent a couple of weeks and probably getting on another four figures (can't bring myself to add it up properly) getting more or less on top of the various things that looked worth doing on a maintenance or preventive basis. Mine has 98k on the clock.

I hope it's not heresy to say so on here, but that one on auction strikes me more as a donor car, at a much lower price, than a restoration job. That's a lot of miles to be starting with.

As a matter of interest, did anyone on here acquire the blue one that was languishing round Birmingham about three or four months ago ? It sat at the local dogs auction for about three weeks and then appeared on Gumtree. Unless they had worked miracles, it was a real can of worms. Amongst other things, a blank dash, they couldn't remember the mileage and no paperwork with it to give a clue. Listening to it, about a million miles, I would have thought.

Mike.
dsharples   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 03:58pm
Member No: #119
Did you buy the silver one from Said Motors in Maldon? Just wondered what happened to it?
onthecut   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 09:31pm
No. I had the one that first appeared on Ebay around £4500 in Kent and was then dropped to £3k after the guy said the engine light had come on as he was selling it.

Mike.
welsh_wizz   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 01:48am
Member No: #2843
Hello,
I have just joined the forum as I have been looking for a C6.
I saw this on eBay too and messaged the bloke. He sent me a few more pictures of the car and expanded a little on the gear box problem.
It apparently drives fine but occasionally when driving, puts a warning light on the dash which disappears when the car is switched off and on again. There is also some noise selecting 1st and reverse on occasion.
I am tempted, I am handy with a spanner and it would be a second car to play with but it would take 4 and 1/2 hrs to drive across country to view it and give it a once over.
The high mileage doesn't put me off as I'd keep it until I kill it.
Has anyone any experience of a similar problem with the tf80sc box and a cure?
Regards,
Bob
onthecut   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 09:12am
Hi Bob.

I'm a fellow newbie on here, just a week or two in front of you. The car I bought has 98k on the clock and one of the first things I did was drain the gearbox oil. Came out like treacle and even on a third change, still quite dirty. I would imagine if you add another 100k onto the mileage and the fluid is similarly dirty you may be looking at real mechanical wear in the box.

With regard to the light on the dash, you're spoilt for choice as to what that might be. Not unreasonable to ask him if he has had the warning lamp issue plugged in and diagnosed. On mine, I've got rid of one trigger issue for the lamp (EGR valve), only for it to be replaced intermittently with another (uneven turbo pressures)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I reckon I've spent getting on another grand on mine getting ahead of the game and that's doing it all myself and only having to change the gearbox fluid rather than start doing anything significant to the box itself. If the advertised car is indeed a money pit in waiting, then I think he is asking too much, particularly given the mileage.

I looked at a few before buying the one I settled on and my experience is that you absolutely need to go and see and hear it before deciding anything. The worst I saw was a complete bag of spanners, running on five, with loads of other issues; I saw a very poor starter; rattly start up ones; a variety of body blemishes and so on.

Mike.
mebedforduk   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 07:24pm
Hi all

Yes spoke to the owner today. I had actually bent his ear in a supermarket Carpark last year, he had moved from volvos and clocks mega miles a year

He has a quote of £2k for the box so he knows the score and seems realistic about its remaining life.

Yes I agree I think it's a money pit and as David has said above even after sinking a couple of k into it you still have a 200k car that has set you back £3.5k. Ie about the same as a 100k no issue car

A couple of month plaything then break for spares I think is the only option

Kr
Mark

welsh_wizz   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 10:13pm
Interesting,
Thanks for your input, now I will have to have a ponder. He had said he is open to offers, so unless I can get it for a decent price I might give it a miss.
Regards,
Bob
e3steve   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 07:04am
Member No: #1163
£1000... Tops.
welsh_wizz   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 08:42pm
Hello all,
Made an offer, £500, but already sold and they wouldn't have accepted that anyway!
Oh well.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club