C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Anyone repaired a wonky radiator fan ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Oct 17 2016, 12:58pm
Member No: #2793
I noticed in the course of extracting the radiators assembly that one of the fans is displaying the early stages of wobbliness. Have had this on various other Cits over time and it does become noticeable as they shake about.

Having seen the silly price for the fans, I decided to have a look at the issue.
Removed the fan blade (LH thread nut). I then crimped back the little securing tags that keep the motor endplate in place. A few minutes patient tapping around the circumference with a fine chisel duly popped the endplate off.

The endplate carries a small bearing and initially I thought this was the issue, but a closer look seems to suggest the shaft itself has worn. What I can't work out -- and this is why I'm hoping someone already knows -- is whether the end of the shaft is a single piece with the armature, or screwed or fastened into the end of it ? Alternatively -- and I can't decide this either, has the shaft got a thin sleve at the end and it is this that is worn rather than the shaft itself.

Mike.
gmerry   
Wed Oct 19 2016, 09:17am
Member No: #21
Mike, I'm guessing that no one on this forum has dismantled the fan shaft/bearings hence no replies. Could you post some photos of what you have found.

regards
G
onthecut   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 08:18pm
Member No: #2793
Sorry - a photo-less post. I have however made a repair which may be of some help. I must stress I have no idea how long it will last and it may not work for everyone.

The problem is a worn shaft allowing the fan to wobble; shaving the edge of the blade assembly and likely to cause noticeable vibration in due course. When I removed the motor end plate, I found there is an E clip part way down the shaft; this plainly limits the armature movement in the direction of the blades. The bearing has an inner race seat which is what engages the E clip. The fan blade assembly has a metal insert that the LH thread retaining nut bears on.

I am guessing that when new and in good order, the shaft is a perfect fit up the inside of this inner seat and the underside of the fan metal insert is both a proper fit on the flats of the shaft and against the seat. Whatever gradually gives out affects both of these parameters.

Very, very simply my fix has been to introduce a thin steel washer between the underside of the blade metal plate and the bearing inner seat, ensuring it was a good fit over the shaft. I have then replaced the nut and hey presto -- wobbliness gone.

It's not perfect -- the rotation by hand is not as smooth as the other good fan, no doubt because the bearing balls are running in a new position and are being loaded slightly differently to design. The whole thing is working fine though, even if only to byu some time until I se an acceptably priced replacement.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club