Trap for new players

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FraserG   
Tue Apr 26 2016, 09:28pm
Member No: #2011
Hi all,

My C6 let my wife down last week when she used the car planning to be home before I even noticed. I bus and ferry to work so don't use my car for the commute to work. Anyway the starter motor gave up the ghost and so she was stranded at the supermarket car park, a place I avoid as I don't like parking anywhere where people can open their doors into my cars shapely flanks.

So after the AA man had been and confirmed my diagnosis I sat back to wait for the tow truck to arrive. I wound down the drivers window part way for ventilation and turned on the radio. After a few minutes, a notification flashed up on the cars computer screen which read something like - Economy mode activated - or something similar. I didn't know what that meant but then the radio turned itself off and my window wouldn't wind up. As you would expect, at the same time it started to drizzle lightly!

So I googled on my phone to find out through this wonderful website that the 'economy mode' can only be exited by starting the engine. This wasn't going to happen without a starter motor. So my window has been partly down since.

Hopefully the starter motor fix isn't too much of a problem. My C6 has done 143,000 kms. What would be a typical life for a starter motor? I remember with my old DS21 I just needed to give it a tap with my tyre wrench to get the starter working again. Things have no doubt moved on from that quick fix!

Cheers Fraser
c6kev   
Tue Apr 26 2016, 10:14pm
Member No: #1508
Fraser

There is a way of closing the windows in economy mode. Press and hold the lock button on the remote. This should close all windows and roof as well as dead locking the car. (Assuming that the drizzle hasn't flooded the interior and killed the Electrics in the meantime! )

Regards,
kfairgray   
Wed Apr 27 2016, 01:07am
Member No: #2555
Woah: Was your wife in trouble Fraser?
NZC6   
Wed Apr 27 2016, 07:16am
Member No: #1629
Starter motors do fail on C6s reasonably early unfortunately. Quite a few stories on this forum. Mine failed just before 100k and had to be replaced.
Tjensen   
Wed Apr 27 2016, 10:00am
Member No: #954
Weak battery may shorten the starter life, problem is the bearings that really don't like running for more than some seconds at a time. Hopefully the 3,0 Hdi is better (differenet and bigger starter)
FraserG   
Wed Apr 27 2016, 09:37pm
Member No: #2011
Thanks Kevin,

I should have told my story earlier. I could have closed my window properly rather than glad wrapping and taping it up a couple of times!

And no, my wife isn't in trouble. I get into trouble when my cars let her down. They don't seem to break when I'm driving. I had to sell my XM because she refused to trust it anymore after a another minor failure years ago. I went back to a CX as my earlier one had never cost much to maintain. I last saw my old XM five years after selling it and talked to the new owner. I sold it at 280,000 miles and the new owner was under the impression it had only done 120,000 miles because the mileage counter went back to zero at 100,000 miles! He was surprised when I told him it had likely covered 320,000 miles at that stage without any engine work!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club