Engine Fault - Repair Needed

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alexjfisher   
Mon Mar 14 2016, 09:14am
Member No: #2263
Hi

My engine management light has come on (2.7HDI 2008). There are two fault codes P0104 (airflow meter signals - consistency between the 2 flowmeters) and P010F (flowmeter signal 1 (rear) - flow too low).

I guess I need to change the rear flow meter then, or could it be something more severe (like a dodgy EGR valve - one of which was replaced in November)?

Is the rear flow meter easily accessible and changeable by a hopeless novice and does anybody know the part number I should order?

Many thanks,
Alex

cruiserphil   
Mon Mar 14 2016, 10:45am

Member No: #38
Hello Alex,

For my contribution, I would reckon your air flow meters are fine and actually reporting a problem i.e. your rear airflow.

I haven't had to tackle EGR's yet, but hopefully the more experienced members in this field on the forum will advise.

Best regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Mon Mar 14 2016, 12:44pm
Member No: #21
Hi Alex, the air flow meters are attached to the big air filter housing (True left hand side of the engine by viewed from the drivers seat facing forwards). One air meter is on the hose going to the rear turbo: the other is on the hose going to the front turbo (towards the radiator).

Its worth swopping the two air flow meters (the front one goes into the rear berth and the rear goes into the front berth). If the fault remains the same, and doesn't follow the swopped air flow meter, you know its not a meter problem.

To do this job, you need a large long handled Philips screwdriver (to remove the filter housing cover) and a long flexible 8mm hex(or 7mm) screwdriver, looks like a socket, to undo the air housing jubilee clamps. That all there is to it. Remove the filter housing over, undo the jubilee clamps, unclip the wiring connectors for the air flow meters and then reinstall.

Beyond this simple and easy job, you need access to Lexia/Diagbox to see actual live airflow values and how the EGR valves / Butterfly valves are responding to the ECU commands. Don't diagnose any problems just with the fault codes.

Also as Phil says, unlikely to be an airflow meter and don't just randomly swop out components.

Regards
G
c6kev   
Mon Mar 14 2016, 05:14pm
Member No: #1508
Alex

I had the same fault codes last year. I opted to swap the two flow meters as Gerry suggests, but actually found that one of the connectors had not been properly re-connected following an earlier air filter change. If it is as simple as that, you won't even need a screwdriver to effect a repair.

Kevin
alexjfisher   
Sat Apr 09 2016, 04:03pm
Quick update.

All fixed (thanks B&L Autos). Turned out to be...
"Turbo waste gate control rod clip had corroded off and rod had fell off"

Also got my front brake pads replaced. The ones I had on were some cheap ones that were awful. Genuine ones *much* better. Good job I did change them too! Had to go for a full on emergency stop on the M3 earlier today after someone thought it was a good idea to stop for a duckling crossing the road. Massive pile up just about avoided...
alexjfisher   
Sat Apr 09 2016, 04:13pm
Oops, not B&L Autos, but B.L.Auto's
Perhaps next time, I'll find out what the 'B' and 'L' stand for!
Hattershaun   
Sat Apr 09 2016, 04:30pm
Member No: #320
B.L.Autos.
The name comes from Barry Lowdell (the guvnor). His son Robert is the C6 guru.
Good to meet you last week Alex. Enjoy driving your car now it has been fixed.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club