C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

ipod connection

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
paulnaylor   
Wed Aug 04 2010, 04:14pm
Member No: #200
Having just acquired a 2007 C6 Exclusive (having had two successive XMs, both of which did well over 200000 miles, before mistakenly moving to a Lexus IS), I have been looking around at Ipod options.

I contacted Bristol Street Motors, the local agents here in Nottingham, who very helpfully explained that they could fit a USB box for £199 all in but there would be two marked disadvantages; fitting the box means disabling the CD player so it would not be possible to switch between the two on a day to day basis, and the console screen will display only track numbers and not titles etc. On an ipod with many hundred tracks to choose from this is a bit of a put-off and making up special playlists rather defeats the object of being able to choose from lots of music.

Has anyone else found a solution?

First post - so forgive me if I have offended protocol in any way.

07Exclusive Blue ext, cream int. and and a fine looking machine
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 04 2010, 06:05pm

Member No: #1
Welcome Paul

There are disadvantages to using an iPod as you have discovered, but the USB Box also lets you use a usb memory stick and you can get as many tracks on, or create MP3 CD's as they will play in the head unit and leave the CD player in situ

Or

Get a cheap 9706AG cable which uses the Aux 1 input on the rear of the head unit (needs a dealer to enable au inputs though) and plug any mp3 player in via a headphone jack

But it won't charge your device

Alive with ICE technology, the C6 really isn't I'm afraid
Website
michaelb   
Wed Aug 04 2010, 07:41pm
Member No: #14
Welcome Paul,

If you do a search here you'll see a few posts on the subject.

I got the USB Box installed on mine. What they tell you is correct, you will only see "track 1 of 99" on the display - even if you have more than 99 tracks. Bu99er, eh?

However the USB box does give you two advantages: (1) you can stick a USB key (memory stick) straight into it and avoid hooking up the iPod/iPhone. I've put a selection of music on a 16 GB drive and left it permanently in the car. (2) It gives you a 3.5 mm jack "audio in" to the car's audio which you can then use to play your iPod/iPhone through - or your daughter's DVD player in my case meaning I get Peppa Pig in full stereo.
DaveB   
Wed Aug 04 2010, 08:41pm
Member No: #17
Well I plugged my MP3 player directly into the white and red audio sockets in the glove box. This works a treat especialy with the MP3 players graphic equalizer which really makes the most of the cars on board stereo power. I bought an adaptor lead with the right plugs at either end (single at one end and double at the other) from Maplin for around £6. The lead is long enough to be able to pass the MP3 player to the people in the back seat so they can control it.
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 04 2010, 10:16pm

DaveB wrote ...

Well I plugged my MP3 player directly into the white and red audio sockets in the glove box............

Good point, not all cars have that facility though. paulnaylors may as it's an Exclusive.

It needs a car with an RT unit not the basic RD4 tadio
Website
ChrisHunter   
Thu Aug 05 2010, 10:38am
Member No: #188
our Lignage has the sockets, in the glove-box, at least ...

iPod / iPhone cable here :

- Click Here -

'comes with a few other things, which increase the cost a bit - not tried it, but presumably it would allow the iPod / iPhone screen to be repeated on the display, too - only when stationary, perhaps - and, if the iPod / iPhone could be mounted for easy fumbling with the controls ... (??)

paulnaylor   
Fri Aug 06 2010, 05:09pm
Hi folks;

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I am particularly interested in that from Dave P because I do have the said sockets in the glove box (didn't know they were there and there is no mention of them in my manual that I can find) but plugging in my ipod via its headphone socket has no effect whatsoever and pressing the source button on the console only switches between radio and CD. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

On a different matter, someone else mentioned the deeply recessed cigar lighters. has anyone solved the problem of how to plug in phone chargers and the like?

All responses welcome

2007 2.7hdi exc blue/cream - still beautiful despite these aggravations
michaelb   
Fri Aug 06 2010, 05:18pm
Member No: #14
paulnaylor wrote ...

On a different matter, someone else mentioned the deeply recessed cigar lighters. has anyone solved the problem of how to plug in phone chargers and the like?

I bought a £15 iPod/iPhone car connection from Carphone Warehouse (this one) and luckily its cigar plug fits the Citroën's deeply recessed socket. Even better the wire to the iPod can be removed from the cigar plug to reveal a USB socket. Voila, I now have a powered USB socket and use it for my iPhone and TomTom (in turns). Much neater that a half dozen cigar plugs.
C6Dave   
Fri Aug 06 2010, 06:40pm

I have a cig plug extension cable that has a thin plug and works fine. I ran it from the rear socket, under the mats to the dash and it's under the sound proofing where the knee airbag is.

It then plugs into my TomTom active Brodit mount and runs up the inside of the dash to the mount.

I'll take some pictures if it stops raining
Website
Ped   
Sat Aug 07 2010, 04:43pm
Member No: #82
paulnaylor wrote ...

Hi folks;

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I am particularly interested in that from Dave P because I do have the said sockets in the glove box (didn't know they were there and there is no mention of them in my manual that I can find) but plugging in my ipod via its headphone socket has no effect whatsoever and pressing the source button on the console only switches between radio and CD. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Hi mate

I believe you have to activate the AUX input via the menu system (THINK it's under the video section) and then it will appear on the cycle between sources. I spent ages trying to find the option when I finally found an AUX cable but it's there somewhere!!

Cheers
ped
C6Dave   
Sat Aug 07 2010, 05:19pm

Whilst on the subject this was posted over @ C4owners:

dr_gummi wrote ...

In the words of Clarkson "I looked on the internet and found this..." - Click Here -

At long last Dension has produced an improved version of the Gateway 300 (Citroen 9702.EZ) with added bluetooth functionality. It would also appear from the manual that it shows the full ID3 tag information not just the first three words. Not sure how easy it would be to swap from one to the other as the instructions on the net are pretty pants, and its not on Citroen.de yet so I don't know a fitted price (it retails at 199ukp by the look of things).

Might have to order one just to see

Joe
Website
ChrisHunter   
Sun Aug 08 2010, 10:47am
on the subject of the cigar-lighter USB-plug, Amazon have some offers on just the plug, at the moment ... eg: - Click Here -

lots of reviews - some cars problematic, they say - eg: too short for a Mazda, no good for a C4, etc.

Strange, that sockets vary so much !
paulnaylor   
Sun Aug 08 2010, 01:10pm
Thanks Ped. I found it under Menu-Config-Display Config-Sound and selected enable Aux. Would probably never found it without your help as it appears not to feature in the handbook. No screen display and no charging (although the charging cable from a dreadful radio transmitter/ipod thingy plugs in nicely to the cigar lighter socket. Much reduced volume as compared to Radio or CD though but at least it works. Thanks again.

Apropos of something else entirely - does any one know what the scartish looking socket at the top front of the large under arm-rest bin is for?

Still learning!
Trainman   
Sun Aug 08 2010, 01:37pm

Member No: #86
Paul, It's the diagnostic socket, for the dreaded computer man
ChrisHunter   
Sun Aug 08 2010, 05:06pm
goodness, diagnostic socket, will have to lift the cover in the morning !

has anyone used it, by any chance ?

OTOH, is there a simple code we could type in to have the onboard display show us what the car thinks needs doing ?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club