C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

4 year old C6 and service time

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Sep 07 2011, 12:30pm

Member No: #1
Well last week the Service indicator came on and the MOT was due on the 20th so took advantage of Citroen's £199 value service offer at my local dealers, Cookswell.

The service includes all filters except 'Pollen' which is just an inspection, but as I had a new one and they were taking the old one out for inspection, they changed it for me.

I also had the brake fluid changed for £30.00 and the MOT cost £29.99 so a grand total of £260.37.

The car passed the MOT, though there was an advisory for the nearside front brake pad wear sensor as it has a broken wire. Apart from that everything was fine.

All in all a bargain deal from Cookswell who are a family owned business.
Website
michaelb   
Wed Sep 07 2011, 06:17pm
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...

The car passed the MOT, though there was an advisory for the nearside front brake pad wear sensor as it has a broken wire.

Good to hear it passed. I'm surprised the broken wire is an advisory only. I would have thought all safety systems would be critical. You can probably safely ignore it and just be prepared to be advised every year from now on.
Ped   
Wed Sep 07 2011, 09:37pm
Member No: #82
Someone mentioned that it's a common fault elsewhere on the forum I think.
gmerry   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 09:18am
Member No: #21
Actually, a pad wear warning system is not a safety system... unlike say an ABS system which could be called upon at any time to make an ACTIVE contribution to the vehicle response. Just think of all the vehicles out there (the majority) with no electrical pad wear monitoring system. As an analogy, is an electronic oil gauge also a safety system. Some cars have them, other don't. In theory, if the electronic oil gauge failed and the engine locked up there could be a crash...

Regards
G
Ocellia   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 03:55pm
Member No: #583
"Someone mentioned that it's a common fault elsewhere on the forum I think."

I'd like to see a list of these 'Common faults' on the C6!

Seems to me there are rather too many!
As a tentative looker, (and Citroen fan since the 70s!) it dismays me to read of them! I love the car, but poor quality deters me!
bdeithrick   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 04:36pm
Member No: #70
Get your corrosion check done now 46-50 months . I'm a very sorry man ( more on my rust thread)

I said it, that the ware sensor wires break very often on Citroen . Not surprised that it has broken. They are to short and use very light wire.
BruceB   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 05:00pm
Member No: #234
Ocellia wrote ...

I'd like to see a list of these 'Common faults' on the C6!
Seems to me there are rather too many!
As a tentative looker, (and Citroen fan since the 70s!) it dismays me to read of them! I love the car, but poor quality deters me!

That's increasingly my reluctant view. I think the car is beautiful yet discreet, and stacked with innovative and advanced features. While not a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the marque, I surprised myself by enjoying 5 years with a C5. It gave temporary way to a little Ford a few months ago, as my elder boy has started driving. A C6 seems a natural successor, and until now we have always had one French car in the family fleet, to satisfy SWMBO's national chauvinism. But then I look at the probable collapse in prices of secondhand Saabs, when the company collapses into the liquidation that now seems almost inevitable, and reflect on the 10 years and 180,000 miles of trouble-free ownership of my 9-5 estate.

I compare that with the daily tales of woe which are lovingly (that is to say, exasperatedly) detailed on this site, and wonder if I'd be better off grabbing a new-style Saab for a silly price instead. I'm not sure that I'd be prepared to live with the 'temperament' of a C6. Okay, if one were to appear tomorrow with the precise specification I'm seeking, I expect I would take the plunge, but I would undertake ownership with all fingers and toes very firmly crossed. I'm not sure that's an altogether healthy way to drive anything!
Ped   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 05:12pm
Member No: #82
Every car has 'common' faults. It's one of the best cars I have owned so far on the reliability front. Don't be fooled by what you read on forums - remember, where one person posts a problem there are hundreds in the silent majority who are happily wafting along.

ped
gmerry   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 06:18pm
Member No: #21
Actually, when one starts poking around, one is very impressed by some of the build and design quality built-in, compared to a lot of Japanese (yes Lexia and Toyota included) cars.

For example, the anti-corrosion coatings on the body steel, brake pipes and most of the fasteners is years ahead of what the Japanese provide.

Yes, there are a few issues, but most of these are not common across all cars and in any case are resolvable with a little perseverance

(Now off to get my hydraulic pipe with surface rust replaced)

Regards

G
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 06:38pm

Member No: #1
Ped wrote ...

Every car has 'common' faults. It's one of the best cars I have owned so far on the reliability front. Don't be fooled by what you read on forums - remember, where one person posts a problem there are hundreds in the silent majority who are happily wafting along.

Exactly Ped, given that there are 870 or so C6's on UK roads and a lot more worldwide 2 or 3 instances of something that has happened doesn't make it 'common'

Thinking about the broken brake pad warning wire issue on my car, I suspect that it was caused last December in the heavy snow that we had.

I can remember on the last 1/4 mile or so to home going through 12"-16" of snow slowly which allowed it to build up around the hubs.

That then froze in the sub zero temps and when I moved off next day (still with frozen snow build up) it got dragged off taking the wiring with it. (or I chopped the snow/ice off with a shovel)

There are some things that you can never design for and that, last year, for us, was a 1 in a 50+ year winter.

It's a broken wire and nothing that will stop the car working.
Website
Ringtone   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 07:44pm
Member No: #285
Ive had my C6 since Nov last year and covered approx 30K inc teo seperste camping trips with the car loaded and a roof box and ive not once had a problem yet (touch wood).

There was a small bit of paint missing on the front wing which ive meant to get sorted and havent yet but even after a year its still showing no signs of rust.

I would say I'm happy with the build quality and would say for mine its been comparable to the audi A6 and BMWs 5 ive had (for what its worth)
verycleverman   
Thu Sep 08 2011, 08:35pm
Member No: #65
Going back over the last 35 years, since I bothered to do any maintenance, I think every car I've owned in that time has had brake wear indicators. I can recall only a couple of occasions where the warning has illuminated due to wear - the rest being due to chafing of the insulation on the cable and the exposed wire contacting earth.

This poor design is not Exclusive, (see what I did there?), to the C6; rather, it is common to most vehicles since the introduction of this pointless system.

The alternative? My research into electronic parking brakes revealed that those top end German cars so equipped have sensors built into the caliper. Wear is calculated by the degree of movement on the parking brake actuator.

The down side is you have to get your pads replaced at the dealers - or lay out in excess of GBP 1,000 for the tool that winds back the actuator so you can install new pads!

Pete.
Leo   
Fri Sep 09 2011, 09:00am
Member No: #94
My experience with the big Citroen over 2 1/2 years use has been very positive. Only the tyre pressure sensors let me down.

I have driven toyota Landcruisers for years previous to getting the Citroen. They were a paragon of reliability. My wif drives a Lexus and I also have an old G Wagen, both of which are very reliable vehicles. I bought the Citroen with a bit of apprehension, but because I liked the look of it and I fancied a change. I have not regretted it for a moment. It is a big solid comfortable car, very distinctive and with a good turn of speed, when needed. Economical enough too, given the size. The engine and gearbox are well proven in other vehicles and the suspension has been in use in one form or another for over 40 years. I hope to run the car for many years to come and the servicing costs outlined at the top of this post are very encouraging in this regard.

Leo
drummond   
Fri Sep 09 2011, 07:24pm
Member No: #238
No, Leo, the DS was introduced to the (awed) public on Thursday 6 October 1955. It's now (almost) 56 years young!
michaelb   
Sat Sep 10 2011, 08:37am
Member No: #14
bdeithrick wrote ...

Get your corrosion check done now 46-50 months . I'm a very sorry man ( more on my rust thread)

Tnx for the advice. I've just instructed Citroën City to do the inspection for me. £49 - gulp! I suppose it's worth it to keep the book stamped up to date.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club