hello from an ex alfaholik

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
paulx19car   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 05:38pm
Member No: #2431
Hi everyone.
My name is Paul and I'm a recovering AlfaHolik. Ive owner over 20 Alfa Romeos in the past 25 years. Like most Alfisti I have become disillusioned by the current range and can't find anything I want to own anymore.

A few years ago I had a C5 exclusive with the 2.7 V6. I loved it, bizarre suspension and all the gadgets and toys you can imagine. So this lead my onto the C6.

I've watched with envy almost every morning as a black C6 drives past my chip shop in Cardiff. And so the hunt began..... glad to say it only took me 2 weeks to find exactly what I wanted.

2008, 2.7V6 silver exclusive with black leather and lounge. Obviously the FSH goes without saying.

I caught a train to Middlesborough to collect it and drive it back home. (300miles) I loved every minute of the journey and now have it sat on my driveway next to my Mini clubman.

I've been an avid poster on Alfa sites over the years so I'm sure I'll be active here too.

My car is known on here, its a Belfast import XEZ 3473.

It has a few faults that I'm working through. The worst being the radiator.

Although its very new looking, it has cracked on the top where the hose goes in. Someone has applied liberal amounts of what looks like tiger seal to try to fix it.... hey ho!!

Tyre sensors don't work and the headlamp washers don't work either... any advise on these would be most welcome.

Anyway, off to admire it again now.

C6Dave   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 07:01pm

Member No: #1
Tyre sensors may have been removed as they are prone to corrode and snap off at the most inconvenient times....

Headlight washers are simply pushed out by water pressure so look for split hoses, then a dodgy pump.
Website
Trainman   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 08:05pm

Member No: #86
Welcome Paul,

I know the chap who has the black one, I know he has a shop in Cardiff, I've met him a couple of times at rallies.
paulx19car   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 08:07pm
Member No: #2431
Awesome. When's the next meet?
e3steve   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 08:22pm
Member No: #1163
Welcome Paul! I too have had a few Alfas (acronym for Anonima Lombarda Fabrica Automobili). My first was a lovely old '64 2600 Sprint (sure wish I'd kept that!); looked a bit like an overgrown 60s' Giulia. That was in '74. Maroon with white leather!

In '77 I got my first Sud: a new, green 1.3Ti. Then, a few months' later, an orange 1.5Ti (ECG 550S). Then a '78 red Alfetta 2.0GTV; amazing engine and handling, but door handles and window winders came off in one's hand, the driver's quarterlight fell out and the rust was manifesting itself after about four months!

I moved onto other marques after that, but still had a (black) 1.5 Sud 5m for the wife right up until '84!

Good luck with your C6; plenty of info on here to digest!

cruiserphil   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 08:28pm

Member No: #38
Paul,

Check the forum on tyre sensors. There's a lot of learned posts on the subject. On the radiator front, a Valeo replacement is around €140 and not a complex job to change. The front bumper needs to be removed to access an elusive locking screw.

Also if the car is hitting c.100,000km, it would be best to renew the outlet cooling tank if it has not already been replaced. Check for numerous posts on this potentially lethal failure!

That should keep you safe!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Trainman   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 05:31am

Member No: #86
paulx19car wrote ...
Awesome. When's the next meet?

Nothing planned at the moment, but there are some of us that turn up at Citroen Car Club rallies throughout the year. details will be posted in the events section.
Norman   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 09:55am
Member No: #364
Welcome to the club Paul and have yourselves a very merry christmas,

Norman

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club