Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Just bought a C6 (and already found a few problems)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mtee   
Sun Oct 25 2015, 03:44pm
Member No: #1924
Sevenman wrote ...

-4C on a warm day
-12C on a cool evening
-24C on a cold, nearly frosty morning.

These would be quite appropriate temperature descriptions in winter here.
Sevenman   
Sun Oct 25 2015, 03:44pm
Member No: #2241
Admin Dave wrote ...

Citroen can supply and fit the correct battery under 'Fixed Price Repairs' for £110 - Click Here -

CCA is important in cold weather and the wrong size battery in a C6 can cause all sorts of issues.

Thanks for the info, that would be a bit of a bargain if they honour it for the C6.

I will give the Worcester dealer a call tomorrow.
David Hallworth   
Sun Oct 25 2015, 08:50pm

Member No: #90
When you call the dealer, make sure you tell them that you've seen the fixed price repair thing on the website or they'll try charging you the full price.

Retail money for a battery is £197.93 according to service.citroen.com.

David.
Sevenman   
Thu Oct 29 2015, 08:39pm
I think the starting problem is sorted with a substantial new battery. Like the old battery, but 8 years younger.

Now turns over very briskly, and the charging etc. was checked and all is at the right levels.

Do these cars tend to suffer from current drains or starting issues if left for a couple of weeks, e.g. when on holiday? My weekly driving tends to be a few 20 minute drives, and then a couple of 100+ mile drives thrown in for good measure.

Tomorrow (Friday)afternoon is wing-mirror dismantling time, which I will update on the relevant thread. Hopefully with a story of success, not disaster. Link here. That will be followed by air-con testing.

The spoiler seems to be behaving itself after repeat lubrication, which is good.

And over the first decent drive (117 mile round trip to Bristol) it did an indicated 45.5 mpg, which isn't too bad. My colleague thought it was a pleasant place as a passenger.

The speakers in the rear shelf have JBL labels on them, is that standard fit?

Old battery

Lovely new battery

8 years younger
Tjensen   
Thu Oct 29 2015, 10:52pm
Member No: #954
The same battery was original in mine 3,0 Hdi. Is it really 950 CCA ?? My spoiler has also behaved after lubrication. I charge my battery quite often, the car is a among the new powerful luxury car with a lot of current drainers; opening doors, suspension, windows, locks, high pressure fuel pump etc etc etc.

But: problem seem to be solved the best (and cheapest) possible way !!!!
Sevenman   
Fri Oct 30 2015, 10:53pm
As part of my introductory problem sorting, it was a successful afternoon. Outside temperature sensor replaced for a total cost of £12. It now reads the correct temperature and, since that temperature was 15C not -6C, the air-con seems to be working! Writeup on this thread

With the new battery, and the apparently behaving boot spoiler, I think the initial issues are sorted. Everything else I have found to test on the car works.

Now time for some car cleaning, leather care (Gliptone probably), and on to the wheels and tyres (3 different economy brands over the 4 wheels...), and possibly a winter set of wheels / tyres.

Thanks again for the advice.

New temp sensor at the bottom of the mirror. See the linked thread above for more detail / pics.

Sevenman   
Fri Nov 06 2015, 09:18pm
To wrap-up this thread, I now have a C6 with no known faults.

Outside temp working well, and air-con is working and demisting on these wet days.

Another big work trip done, and I seem to be getting 40 to 44 mpg over longer trips as a mix of motorways and local roads.

I have fixed 2 little issues:

First is that, when I test drove it, the arm rest was in its up position and wouldn't lock down. I thought something was broken, but on closer inspection there seemed to be some type of sweet / chocolate wrapper in the mechanism.

On extracting it, I found it to be a very big wrapper still with some sweet inside. The arm rest now locks down

Up

Down!

How did that get in there!

And the final fix was a new washer cap. Who knows how the previous owner managed to break it off, but Admin Dave provided me with the part number (6432 37 - thanks Dave) and eBay and £5 sorted the rest. How do people access the Citroen parts catalogue?

With that sorted, I can't find anything else wrong. New battery seems to be doing well, hopefully I won't find any current drains and it will start ok after a few days off (have been using it every day). Spoiler seems to be doing what it should, and is always down when parked now.

I have started to freshen up the interior with some work on the plastics, and the leather is going to get some Gliptone soon - doesn't look like it has been treated before, but is in good shape.

I think my intro thread is done for now, but expect some future threads from me on:
  • Finding some 17" wheels for winter tyres

• Pre-emptive maintenance. It is going to have an early service, but perhaps there are some things I want to get done as well as usual maintenance.

And to finish, my favourite angle:
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 07 2015, 07:44am

Member No: #1
Most of the parts are listed on site - Click Here -
Website
Jodyone   
Sat Nov 07 2015, 01:03pm
Member No: #1240
Sevenman wrote ...

And the final fix was a new washer cap. Who knows how the previous owner managed to break it off, but Admin Dave provided me with the part number (6432 37 - thanks Dave) and eBay and £5 sorted the rest.

Or you can use the really lazy method as I did... a rubber dust cover for a height corrector from a green blooded Citroen (my old Xantia) fits perfectly, and happened to be on the shelf next to me
gmerry   
Sun Nov 08 2015, 02:36pm
Member No: #21
Hi Sevenman, for winter tyres, my steel 17" wheels will be seeing their 7th Scottish winter. You already have one in your boot, your local dealer should be able to source another 3 at a reasonable price or try MyTyres dot com.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Mon Nov 09 2015, 09:38am
Member No: #1163
Sevenman wrote ...

To wrap-up this thread, I now have a C6 with no known faults.

Good luck with that; it won't last, so be prepared...

My boot deflector has been 'up' for a few days and is now doing weird things: stays fully deployed when parked, lowers to the partially-deployed position when driving then pops up again when stopped!

I returned from Spain, by air, yesterday and jumped in the Six for a short journey; I was getting the fast-flashing turn signals, indicating that a bulb was out, both left and right. When I stopped I checked the system with the hazards and, sure enough, the rears were not working. Next time I started the engine -- after the brief stop -- all was well. Both sides now fully functional with no intervention from me.

I can still smell coolant when the engine is hot. It's not dripping from anywhere and there's n'er a change in the header tank level.

I'm still in for the long-haul, though...
Sevenman   
Mon Nov 09 2015, 10:40am
e3steve wrote ...

Good luck with that; it won't last, so be prepared...

I am sure, but hopefully it will behave for a while and I can not feed the doubters at work / home any ammunition. I have started my thread on pre-emptive maintenance in the 'Car Care and Maintenance' forum, so hopefully I can get a head start on the likely issues.

Sounds like the car objected to you being away in Spain and it wanted to welcome you back.

That is what my boot deflector was doing before the extra oiling. I think if it hits too much friction in the final lowering stage, then it goes to the maintenance position.

Coolant sounds interesting. Something going on in a water-air heat exchanger?
Tjensen   
Mon Nov 09 2015, 12:54pm
Member No: #954
Just to add to the turn signals story (self-healing) my side mirrors often stop working after professional washing (probably high pressure water used in door openings) and the last time they were dead for days. And then: OK again (something wet drying up and/or an automatic protection system ?)
chillmax   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 05:17pm
Member No: #1648
I'm ordering my third screen wash cap, they just fall off!!!

Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club