C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Alternator, Clutch, Battery Everything?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Huutch   
Sat Oct 24 2015, 08:06am
Member No: #2112
Hey guys, why is it everything comes at once? Just had 3 new tyres put on, two lower arm bushes. £500. Now driving home, got a error saying battery charge faulty, I carried on, then I got every error going, power steering, abs. Luckily I managed to get to the services. Turned it off, wouldn't turn back on. RAC bloke reckoned it was the alternator, had to get towed home, which costs me a further £235. So my question is, is it the alternator which is broke, I can get one for £100, so that's not bad. I've also read it could be the alternator pulley or the clutch. What do you guy's reckon? Thanks.
Cisco   
Sat Oct 24 2015, 09:42am
Member No: #1429
Guessing the RAC jump started the car and checked the alternator output at the battery to determine the alternator was not charging?

It seems a lot of the cars' alternator pulleys have failed. Mine did at around 110k miles. I changed the pulley and it's been fine since then.

The pulley was around £80 and it took me about 4 hours to change. A garage that's done it before will be much quicker. I posted some pics of the job.

The cars are well woth the effort so hang in there. And get yourself the Diagbox software, it will probably pay for itself quite quickly.

Good luck with it.
Huutch   
Sat Oct 24 2015, 10:01am
Member No: #2112
Yeah mate, that's what he said, just waiting for a tow truck to take me down to my cousins garage, if it is just the pulley that would be great. £80 is not bad, and I won't get charged much labor or VAT, so fingers crossed. I know what you're saying the car is amazing, it's just frustrating that everything has happened at once, but I'll persevere with it. Thanks for your help and quick reply.
cruiserphil   
Sat Oct 24 2015, 02:06pm

Member No: #38
The alternator pulley issue is well documented on the forum. With the auxiliary belt off it can be checked and with the correct tooling can be changed without removing the alternator.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club