Wed Sep 16 2015, 06:30pm

Member No: #1
probably cheaper and easier to trade the car fr a later one
Website
321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 06:59pm
Member No: #614
Hattershaun wrote ...

Electric steering column adjustment was introduced from November 2007, along with new Sat Nav (RT4).

I'd have thought there's a lot involved in retro fitting the electric column, hardware, column/switches/wiring loom, then making sure the electronic are integrated into the car's systems.
Seems a lot to do, when most people set the column's position once, then leave it alone.

Thanks Shaun, thanks for that, no I was just mentioning it as another feature that was present on the 607 and missing, but then added to the C6s feature list. Interestingly, the RT3 system displays the option in its on screen list, I think it's along with the door locking menu, for the auto retract feature for the steering column to be turned on/off? Lexis switches it on! So maybe they were thinking of adding it from the start but didn't on cost grounds? Would be interesting to know if it's mentioned on a wiring diagram somewhere.
321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 07:08pm
Admin Dave wrote ...

probably cheaper and easier to trade the car fr a later one

I'd say your right on that one dave. I'd love the auto rear screen blind in the 607 though. Great mechanism!
- Click Here -
e3steve   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 09:01pm
Member No: #1163
Hattershaun wrote ...

Electric steering column adjustment was introduced from November 2007, along with new Sat Nav (RT4).

I'd have thought there's a lot involved in retro fitting the electric column, hardware, column/switches/wiring loom, then making sure the electronic are integrated into the car's systems.
Seems a lot to do, when most people set the column's position once, then leave it alone.

It's also, I believe, programmed into the CANbus for incorporation within the seat memory settings (Shaun?)...
321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 09:34pm
e3steve wrote ...

Hattershaun wrote ...

It's also, I believe, programmed into the CANbus for incorporation within the seat memory settings (Shaun?)...

That's interesting Steve, I think I read somewhere also that an ECU under the drivers seat controls the columns movement in relation to the stored position of the drivers seat or does that sound plausible?
verycleverman   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 10:22pm
Member No: #65
Hattershaun wrote ...

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with your date. Mine has a build date of Feb 8th 2007 and has both electric steering column and RT4.

Pete.
e3steve   
Thu Sep 17 2015, 08:11am
321dave wrote ...

... I think I read somewhere also that an ECU under the drivers seat controls the columns movement in relation to the stored position of the drivers seat or does that sound plausible?
Yes Dave, it makes sense; although I'm not too familiar (yet) with the general topography relating to the ECUs' locations.

I reckon retro-fitting the 2007> steering column and its associated wiring harness & electronics would yield an elevated level of heartache!

I guess that, eventually, we're all going to be fighting over the later up-spec'd models that pop up for sale. Me? I'm hanging on for a 3.0 HDi (at the right price) before I once-more step into the refurbishing arena!

Owning a Six "of a certain age (or mileage)" is definitely a 'painting the Forth Road Bridge' life...
e3steve   
Thu Sep 17 2015, 08:21am
Tjensen wrote ...

I have wondered if the strange omissions in the C6 can have something to do with the capacity of the CAN-bus ?
CANbus doesn't have a capacity, as such. It's an I/O network; digital command signals and returned information/monitoring.

When I mentioned 'balance', I was alluding to the need for messing around with the I/O 'ladder', necessary when any PLC is messed about with (channels added-to or subtracted-from).
321dave   
Thu Sep 17 2015, 11:41am
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

... I think I read somewhere also that an ECU under the drivers seat controls the columns movement in relation to the stored position of the drivers seat or does that sound plausible?
Yes Dave, it makes sense; although I'm not too familiar (yet) with the general topography relating to the ECUs' locations.

I reckon retro-fitting the 2007> steering column and its associated wiring harness & electronics would yield an elevated level of heartache!

I guess that, eventually, we're all going to be fighting over the later up-spec'd models that pop up for sale. Me? I'm hanging on for a 3.0 HDi (at the right price) before I once-more step into the refurbishing arena!

Owning a Six "of a certain age (or mileage)" is definitely a 'painting the Forth Road Bridge' life...

Id say your right Steve, but an interesting project non the less if the brains of the system were already build in to the cars. The only real issue I can see as a problem would be the wiring harness. So the question comes down to the issue. Does the 2005-2007 model C6's have a different front wiring harness to the Nov 2007 on models?
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 17 2015, 12:12pm

Member No: #1
321dave wrote ...

So the question comes down to the issue. Does the 2005-2007 model C6's have a different front wiring harness to the Nov 2007 on models?

If they do, it will not be year related but RPO (build date) that indicates when any changes were made.
Website
321dave   
Thu Sep 17 2015, 01:12pm
Admin Dave wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

So the question comes down to the issue. Does the 2005-2007 model C6's have a different front wiring harness to the Nov 2007 on models?

If they do, it will not be year related but RPO (build date) that indicates when any changes were made.

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at the parts files next. Might prove interesting.
Aabaana   
Fri Oct 02 2015, 11:39am
Member No: #2255
verycleverman United Kingdom
Wed Sep 16 2015, 11:19AM Report Quote

The biggest omission, in my opinion, is the clear plastic clip on the inside of the windscreen for parking tickets etc. It was fitted to most Citroens until the mid 2000s then was discontinued. A cheap, but very useful, accessory needlessly withdrawn.

Pete.

Not sure if this is how I respond to a thread(?) but regarding the plastic clip; changing from an '02' C5 Exclusive to a '06' C5 exclusive, whilst still owning the '02', I noticed the plastic clip was missing, so removed it and replaced it onto the '06'.

I still have the C5, and as detailed in my previous offering - my C6 engine died on me withing three weeks of buying the C6 (BJ07CCD) and is at present having a Pug 407 2.7l engine swap carried out; I intend swapping the clip over as well.

Reason for this post is to say, I have seen this clip advertised on Ebay and have seen them in vehicles when visiting a scrap yard here and there, so would suggest keeping your eyes open for this valuable accessory?

If there's any interest, I'm happy to keep members abreast of the situation regarding the engine swap; I am led to believe it's exactly the same engine as has died in my C6.

Does anyone know who might be interested in my old C6 engine, to be rebuilt/reconditioned?

I did look to take advice given and approached B.L.Autos & Sons Ltd (Welwyn Garden City); however they quoted £400 more than my local Citroen dealer and frankly, I just couldn't afford their quotation, especially as they implied, that was their staring quote and would increase from the initial quote of £2200.

Aabaana
Cisco   
Fri Oct 02 2015, 12:32pm
Member No: #1429
Andre,

While the engine is out of the car it may be prudent to have the citroen shop check/address some of the common C6 problems which are highlighted again and again on this forum e.g.

The corroding lhs heater pipe.
Alternator free wheel bearing.
Plastic housings on the water system at w/pump and thermostat.
EGR valves (remove and clean).

Very best of luck with your engine swap.

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club