C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Engine Overheating

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dalicro   
Sat Sep 12 2015, 03:42pm
Member No: #1932
Car overheated whilst in slow-moving traffic. The excellent Gavin Gray of Autotechniks Edinburgh discovered that the fans have seized. In addition the a/c has a leak. I understand that the fans operate as part of the a/c system; this and the fact that I don't encounter much slow moving traffic may mean that the fans have seized through lack of use. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
C6Dave   
Sat Sep 12 2015, 06:25pm

Member No: #1
Radiator fans have siezed?

Don't think anyone has posted on that before. The fan relay on the rad can be problematic though.
Website
dalicro   
Sun Sep 13 2015, 10:54am
Thanks Dave
Apparently the relay is OK. In fact one fan turns reluctantly and noisily. I'm no expert (can you tell?) but I would have thought this might be a more common problem in cool northern latitudes with little traffic congestion. I was hoping a 10p squirt of WD40 might fix them rather than the 800+ quid for 2 new ones! Silly me eh?
e3steve   
Mon Sep 14 2015, 06:42am
Member No: #1163
My old Renault Espace had that same issue when I first got it. I took out the 'grill' and persevered with, first, WD40 then, second, aerosol white lithium grease. They'd also seized -- they're in a vulnerable location in front of the rad, same as the 2.7 C6 -- and, thus, had blown the 30-Amp fuses (one for each).

The motors' bushes needed freeing off first (the WD40), then lubricating for more longevity. Just spraying them and 'working' the fan blades back & forth freed-off one; the other wouldn't budge (the fan was turning on the motor shaft instead). So I worked the fan off the shaft and tightened the chuck of a cordless drill onto it, slowly rocking the shaft back & forth until it gave way.

Still working, a year and a half later.
dalicro   
Mon Sep 14 2015, 08:04am
Thanks e3steve. That's definitely worth a try!
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 14 2015, 02:27pm

Member No: #1
There's also a car being broken for parts: - Click Here -
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club