C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Noisy Engine

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanmos   
Thu Jan 14 2010, 09:13pm
Member No: #34
Had my 08 C6 (2.7 Exclisive) for 4 months now and am generally delighted with it. However, I am concerned at the tractor noise from the engine when going through gears between 1000 and 2000 revs. It is intrusive inside and certainly greater than I hear in other deisels - passengers have remarked about it!

Like others on here my previous car was an Alfa, a 159 2.4 which was mute compared to this. My wife has a much quieter 1.9 Galaxy.

Local Citroen garage can find nothing wrong when in to have the brake recall done, though they did say they had no experience of C6's. Though fully serviced when purchased they remarked that the oil was low and had to be topped up - after 1500 miles!
I see no mention of intrusive engine noise here or in reviews elsewhere.
It is spoiling my enjoyment of what should be a sophisticated, luxury car.

Any advice or comments please

Regards

Alan
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 14 2010, 11:18pm

Member No: #1
Can't say mine is noisy.

Does it sound the same in 'sport' mode as in standard auto drive?

BTW not all dealers are equipped, trained or have the tools to repair C6's so you need to ensure the one you want to look at the car in more detail, is.
Website
michaelb   
Fri Jan 15 2010, 09:13am
Member No: #14
I've not had experience with Alfa's oil-burner but my 2.7 HDi compares very well to Alfa's 3.0 V6 which is a gorgeously musical engine but suffered from rigid engine mounts and a boomy exhaust which made it a bit too intrusive for me at idle in traffic. As living in central London means I'm often at idle in traffic I found that aspect of the Alfa wearing.

The C6 by comparison is a haven of silence. I can hear a bit of diesel chatter after start up but it's not intrusive and goes very quickly. I certainly don't hear any boom or thrum, never mind tractor noises, on the up changes.

Shropshire is a bit for away for me but if you could find another forum member nearby I'm sure they would be willing to take you for a spin for comparison's sake. Or you could simply test drive another one up for sale at the moment.

Failing that, do as Dave suggests and go to a main dealer with experience in C6s.

Hope you solve it.

Michael
tonyrome   
Fri Jan 15 2010, 09:40am
Member No: #15
That sounds a bit worrying, Alan. The C6 engine is generally said to be cultured & quiet and it certainly shouldn't compare badly against a Galaxy! Mine is quiet in terms of engine noise. I would test drive another one from a dealer, for direct comparison, then get yours to a Citroen dealer with C6 experience.
alanm   
Sat Jan 16 2010, 11:28am
Many thanks for replies. The tractor deisel noises are independant of gears and occur at lower rev range up to 2000 not just rattling at start up.
Alan
michaelb   
Sun Jan 17 2010, 06:55pm
Member No: #14
Driving around today I've been thinking about your post.

Certainly in mine I would call it particularly quiet and refined around the 1,000 revs. Only when opening the throttle, accelerating uphill for example, around 2,000 revs do you really hear the engine and then I wouldn't describe that sound as tractor-like. You are certainly aware of an engine working away but if you didn't already know you were sitting in a diesel car you'd be hard pressed to guess.
alanmos   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 07:46pm
Many thanks Michael - maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but then passengers have remarked on it. Filled up today with 'Ultimate' and the noise seems less.

You can easily tell it's a diesel by the clatter and yes it is when the engine is taxed a bit and slow speeds/revs.

Alan
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 08:06pm

In full 'auto' mode there shouldn't really be any 'taxing' of the engine at low speeds as it will auto shift down

When driving at reasonable speed and slowing down you should be able to feel the car 'down shifting' so it's in the right gear at any time

Maybe the software has an issue and needs a dealer to update it.

It's happened quite a bit on C4GP's with the EGS box and a 'reboot' or updated install in most cases resolves any problems
Website
alanmos   
Thu Jan 21 2010, 05:14pm
Many thanks Dave.
The box works fine. In going through the box there is 'tractor noise' and engine rattle between 1000 and 2000 revs especially if going up incline.
Alan
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 21 2010, 06:22pm

That doesn't sound right at all and needs a dealer to check it out a.s.a.p. before it gets worse
Website
alanmos   
Thu Jan 21 2010, 08:23pm
Thanks Dave
I am building up ammunition for when I take it in as unfortunately the local dealer seems to lack knowledge and experience of the engine.
Tonight when I started it it was very 'lumpy' and seemed to be miss-firing. Later, when going up a hill at walking pace in traffic it was 'hunting' ie surges and slumps in revs.
That, plus the noise, means something is amiss I guess?
Alan
tonyrome   
Thu Jan 21 2010, 08:36pm
Member No: #15
alanmos wrote ...
That, plus the noise, means something is amiss I guess?

Definitely, by the sounds of it! I'd be inclined to forget the local dealer and seek out a dealer with a decent knowledge of the C6.
verycleverman   
Tue Nov 02 2010, 10:57pm
Member No: #65
I know mine's a petrol engine but, since the air filter was changed on the last service, when I floor it it sounds like the Wookie in Star Wars!

Pete.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Nov 11 2010, 11:31am
Member No: #188
not sure I understand what tractor noise means exactly but, if if happens when going up an incline, maybe it's something other than the engine - we've occasionally noticed something in such circumstances, as if an under-panel were flapping a little, perhaps due to airflow under the car being made different by the effect of the incline ... one day, I'll have a look under the car !

many years ago, we found the top-speed of our old GS estates was always quite a bit faster when going uphill (on the M6 by Lancaster University, for example) and we always put that down to the self-leveling suspension maybe lowering the front of the car, which might well reduce its drag, as air-dams can do ...
321dave   
Thu Aug 13 2015, 10:27am
Member No: #614
Hi all
I put the lexia on the C6 this weekend when I had a chance to check for error codes. I got two engine error codes, they read

P1351 Pre/post heating relay circuit
P0104 flowmeter signal (1) rear

I read on-line that the MAF Sensor can throw up an engine warning light on the dash, so I'm thinking its most likely the reason for the intermittent engine light popping on and off with the depollution message every few days. Also the engine does appear a bit down on power, and is getting noisier now as well, I think it might need some sort of terraclean treatment at this stage in its life, has anyone tried that engine cleaning system on a 2.7, any good?

Many thanks
321Dave
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club