C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Tyre Valve failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
verycleverman   
Fri Jul 22 2011, 11:36pm
Member No: #65
The problem with picking up snippets of information from other sites is that they may not have been properly researched. I would like to submit a (definitive?) item from the C5-L forum, reproduced with the writer's permission.

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and future MOT’s.

Hi All,

I have been following this thread with interest as I had the TPMS system disabled in my 2002 C5 some time ago. It seemed to me a good idea, which, I found flawed in practice. It should be technically possible to fit sensors to all five wheels and move them around the car without resorting to reprogramming the ECU.

Anyway, concerned my car would fail MOT’s from 2012 I have found time today to research the subject properly. Here are my findings.

As from 1st Jan 2012 it will be a requirement (amongst others) for all NEW car/trucks vehicles to be equipped with TPMS.

The EU directive to update MOT testing in line with this is ‘Commission directive 2010/48/EU’ - I have read this and section 5.2.3.(h) does provide for a visual inspection of the tyre for ‘air pressure monitoring system malfunctioning or obviously inoperative’.

However the introduction of the EU directive, paragraph 6 states as below;-

‘Reasons for failure’ do not apply in cases where they refer to requirements which were not prescribed in the relevant vehicle approval legislation at the time of first registration, first entry into service or retrofitting requirements.

This means the TPMS check will apply to vehicles registered after 1st Jan 2012 ONLY.

All vehicles now registered, and up to the end of the year, cannot be failed on the TPMS - ever.

As vehicles are MOT exempt for the first three years there will be no failures until 2015 and then only if the engineer can actually ’see’ that a sensor is missing.

I also own a sports car – a 1989 Mazda RX7 (200 bhp). When the RX7 was twelve years old the two stage ‘cat’ original equipment developed a hole – failed the MOT. As a replacement was £3000 from Japan I replaced the ‘cat’ with a ‘straight’ section – no ‘cat’.

Threw the ‘cat’ away. As the legislation for ‘cat’ converters did not apply to ALL cars until 1992 the RX7 then passed the MOT. The same situation will apply for TPMS. So no need to worry about next years MOT.

As for the safety concerns of doing without the technology of TPMS. I cannot help but remember that my lovely C5 is the only car I have owned that has put my life in peril – more than once – by going into ‘limp home mode’ while overtaking in the third lane of the motorway.

Regards,

Dave Barnard.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

C6Dave   
Sat Jul 23 2011, 05:44am

Member No: #1
Thanks Pete, that does help to clarify things.
Website
smorphet   
Tue Oct 11 2011, 09:30pm
Member No: #88
I wrote:

Hmm. I'd been thinking about investing in some winter wheels and tyres before it gets cold again. The need to fiddle about with pressure sensors is all a bit off-putting. I'd thought I could just disable the sensors completely, but that may not be an option with this new MOT rule. Now it sounds like I'll have to enable/disable the system, or reregister a different set of sensors, every time I change the wheels.

I took advantage of a sunny afternoon today to fit a new set of winter wheels. A bit early perhaps, but brought forward due to a puncture in the summer set. The MOT thing seems to have turned out to be a non-issue, but I decided to go for a set of pressure sensors in the new wheels anyway.

My reason for posting is just to record something that I would have been interested to know before I started: Lexia allows the programming of pressure sensor codes for an alternate set of wheels, and for a spare - nine wheels in total. The car seems to detect the sensors without needing to be told which set of wheels is fitted, so, provided both sets of wheels are fitted with sensors, there should be no need to register different sensors each time the wheels are changed.

Of course, this is no help to those with one set of wheels with sensors, and one without.

Another thing, that I think I recall someone asking about: Lexia displays an info message, before the codes are programmed, that says that it doesn't actually matter which sensor is fitted at each corner of the car. The system will work out their locations, and re-order the IDs accordingly. This means that tyre pressure monitoring should still report correctly if wheels were swapped front to back, for example.

ciao_chao   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 04:06pm
Member No: #518
Had one fail on me the other day. Rather irritating but had an ordinary valve fitted.

Is it possible to have the tube replaced? Previous owner had the system deactivated through Lexia.
woofa   
Mon Jan 07 2013, 09:29am
Member No: #641
I know this is an old thread but I thought i'd 're ignite' it.
Same thing happened to me last week, I was cleaning the car, just brushed the sponge over the wheel and the tyre valve snapped off and shot like a bullet through the air.
Car is still in warranty so Citroen are replacing all 4 of them.
Worryingly all 4 were really badly corroded, and the car is only 2.5 years old.
I believe now the valves are made out of a different material.
James   
Mon Jan 07 2013, 04:01pm
Member No: #817
woofa wrote ...

I know this is an old thread but I thought i'd 're ignite' it.
Same thing happened to me last week, I was cleaning the car, just brushed the sponge over the wheel and the tyre valve snapped off and shot like a bullet through the air.
Car is still in warranty so Citroen are replacing all 4 of them.
Worryingly all 4 were really badly corroded, and the car is only 2.5 years old.
I believe now the valves are made out of a different material.

Have a read of - Click Here -
(another old tyre sensors thread) which I posted to a few days ago. I had one fail at speed and another fail on inspection. My local dealer is getting them changed under warranty, but this seems to be a bit of ticking timebomb and not just for Citroen. When I did a quick search I found several makes with problems, and not just those using valves made by Siemens

The issue is metal ones will suffer from Galvanic corrosion if their made from a different metal to the wheel and get wet (especially if the water comes off a salted road).

Rich   
Tue Jan 08 2013, 04:00pm
Member No: #542
Yes, one of mine went last week. Fortunately, i was seconds from home but the tyre went down in seconds. Not the best design! I guess the rest will do the same eventually.....
smihaialex   
Wed Jan 09 2013, 06:53am
Member No: #1031
I applied WS-40 and a thick layer of TOTAL LiCa Grease - hope that at least it slows down the corrosion process if not stop it

Sam
smihaialex   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 10:32am
Member No: #1031
Hi guys,

Do you know where I could get my hands on a couple of valve shaft replacements for the TPMS sensors?

I have 2 Citroën original part sensors (or should I say Siemens VDO) with corroded valves... I know that Citroën sells a "repair kit" as they call it, but that only includes the washer, the nut, the valve mechanism that goes inside the valve shaft, and the valve plastic cap...

But in order to get them both functioning, I need to get 2 valve shafts...

Can you recommend a website that sells them?!? Or perhaps, if you know of a physical store, I could wire you the amount and you could buy them and send them my way?!?

Thank you very very much,
Sam
C6Dave   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 12:44pm

Hundreds on eBay - Click Here -
Website
keithc   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 10:17am
Member No: #2584
Had a valve failure this morning. Swapped the wheels front to back last night and as it was too dark and had started raining I left checking tyre pressure till this morning. Went to remove the valve cap on one wheel and half the valve came off in my hand!

My question is do I have to buy a whole sensor unit or can the valve be replaced?

Edit: If I need a whole new unit can I put in an ordinary valve for the time being so as I have a spare until I get the unit?
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 10:47am

keithc wrote ...

Had a valve failure this morning. Swapped the wheels front to back last night and as it was too dark and had started raining I left checking tyre pressure till this morning. Went to remove the valve cap on one wheel and half the valve came off in my hand!

My question is do I have to buy a whole sensor unit or can the valve be replaced?

Edit: If I need a whole new unit can I put in an ordinary valve for the time being so as I have a spare until I get the unit?

Yes you can get replacement stems plus you can put a rubber vale in temporarily but you will probably get an annoying beep unless you deactivate the TPMS using Lexia
Website
MGmike   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 11:37am
Member No: #3151

I get my valves on the bay of E at around £5 each
Changing them can be a bit of a challenge as the valve body wants to rotate when attempting to remove the retaining nut. Best approach is to drill it out from the back, being careful not to damage the sensor body or the wheel.

If you know the ID and want a replacement sensor with the same ID send me a PM. I should be able to supply for approx £40 (blatant advertising not intended )
keithc   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 04:52pm
Member No: #2584
I'll run into my local tyre place in the morning and get the old sensor when I get him put in a temporary valve for now and will PM you then MGmike.

Just had a look on ebay and would anyone recommend this set of 4 - Click Here -
MGmike   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 07:54pm
Member No: #3151
No probs Keith.

I can't see any reason why those ebay items wouldn't work but remember, you'll need a Lexia session to program in the new id's. A bit of extra cost to factor in if you don't have access to one.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club