Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 08 2011, 07:59am

Member No: #1
drummond wrote ...

Copper grease?

Could do, but it's messier than Ferrosol and can stain your clothes if your not careful
Website
dsharples   
Wed Mar 23 2011, 09:32pm
Member No: #119
Having changed an alloy wheel due to significant kerb damage (long story), I've got a spare alloy to refurb, complete with Tyre Pressure Sensor.

I would like to remove and "swap" the sensor stem/valve etc, but can't get the hex nut to budge. Have applied some PlusGas (other products are available . The Siemens sensor is also "split" where it bridges the stem - so am worried about applying too much force..

Any thoughts?
gmerry   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 09:58pm
Member No: #21
Dave, I would tighten the hex nut until the stem snaps. Then replace the alloy stem and nut with a new one. The sensor is separate to the alloy stem but requires a T6 or similar very small torx screwdriver to remove/replace. Check out my posts from last year; I detailed all this with photos at the time.

Regards
G
dsharples   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 10:49pm
Member No: #119
The hex nut just twists the TPMS sensor body into the wheel, and as the plastic bridge over the stem is split, it just opens up. How much pressure can I put on the TPMS?
gmerry   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 05:35pm
Member No: #21
Hi, are you just trying to remove the TPMS to salavage the rim and will replace the sensor with a new one?

I measure a spare alloy nut (the one the with the hex that holds the stem into the rim) as being 9.4mm inner diameter on the inside of the threads. The stem outside diameter (over the threads is 10.2mm (the bit hidden inside the nut)

Drill out the valve stem that protrudes. Then use a 10mm drill to remove the vast majority of the thread material. After that, it should just remove by hand force.

Being soft alloy, a handheld drill should do the job. Just use a bit of care that the drill doesn't slip and mark the alloy wheel (or strap a bit of protective wood around the valve).

Regards
G
verycleverman   
Mon Apr 11 2011, 10:15pm
Member No: #65
This may be of interest to all you Luddites out there who are keen to replace their sensors with standard valves - Click Here -
I saw it on the C5-L where failed sensors, probably due to expired batteries, are starting to become an issue.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 12 2011, 06:38am

Member No: #1
Thanks Pete. Looks like quite a few C4 owners are going to have to shell out and get their systems refitted and enabled.
Website
michaelb   
Tue Apr 12 2011, 07:19am
Member No: #14
My first reactions was FFS but on reflection I think this could be a good thing because tyre shops will quickly become conversant with dealing with TPMS.

There is the hope that in the long run their parts and maintenance will become readily available and cheap.
datmbn   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 10:41am
Member No: #193
Cut of sligtly above the nut, drill with 5.5 mm a litel bit longer than the valveshaft, drill with 6mm dovn to the begining of the thred on the valve shaft.
Take an old ordenary valve and cut away the rubberpart nd thred it short bit with M6, seal it with marine selant (polyuretan) or chemik metall depending on your time.

If you have time ti wait about 24 hours you dont even havre to make threds, just glu it with marine selant (sikaflex)

Leo   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 12:44pm
Member No: #94
Hmmm.....would your insurer cover you if this repair let go and an accident happened?
grandadmark   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 02:12pm
Member No: #508
I have had a valve replaced on my C6 Lignage and my Citroen garage,not a main deaker, is having trouble registering the new sensor id. We are now trying for the third time. The system seems to revert to the original sensor id after a couple of engine restarts. Anyone got any ideas or experience of this
waitng in hope
Ped   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 04:42pm
Member No: #82
Stuck normal valves on mine!
verycleverman   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 05:34pm
Member No: #65
Ped wrote ...

Ped, see my earlier post re MOT. If you kept the original valves you can repair them with replacement stems available on ebay.

Pete.
MattHwk   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 09:44pm
Member No: #246
Had a valve shear off at Oxford services around a year ago at 40k. Standard valve fitted then took the corroded valve to the dealer and "persuaded" them to replace under warranty. They said no about 10 times, Slough stepped in and over ruled. Since then I have removed caps every wash and sprayed with WD40. Seems to be working so far.
Ped   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 10:04pm
Member No: #82
verycleverman wrote ...

Ped wrote ...

Ped, see my earlier post re MOT. If you kept the original valves you can repair them with replacement stems available on ebay.

Pete.

Thanks Pete - to be honest I'm more than happy with normal valves, I don't think there's much point in the sensor type.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club