C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Stop/Tail light question

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
magicands   
Mon Jun 01 2015, 05:15pm
Member No: #1021
Hi all, I take it that the Stop/Tail light on the C6 is a double filament type.
If so, am I right in believing that there are no kind of LED replacements which will work as you would need a single Brake lamp and a single tail lamp?
Website
e3steve   
Mon Jun 01 2015, 08:47pm
Member No: #1163
There are dual-brightness LED stop/tail lamps out there. I have one on my '64 Honda motorcycle. The brake light isn't that much brighter than the tail light, though.

I've not gotten around to experimenting with them recently; I bought mine in 2008, so I expect they're now of superior output, what with SMD technology and all...
PercyPorcelain   
Mon Jun 01 2015, 09:28pm
Member No: #2027
Found a crack in my o/s tail light - anyone got one or know where I can find one for less than 100 quid?
321dave   
Tue Jun 02 2015, 07:06am
Member No: #614
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

Found a crack in my o/s tail light - anyone got one or know where I can find one for less than 100 quid?

Morning Percy,
Did you check out Amazon for new tail lamps? Depends on the time you view. They can be standard price or higher or quite cheap. I got the rear pair after Christmas quite cheap. I'm currently rebuilding a 2007 C6 back to almost new spec. That's the plan for the next few years anyway. 12mths gone already! Cars been very good so far, but let down aesthetically.

Kind regards
321dave
magicands   
Tue Jun 02 2015, 10:56am
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

There was one on eBay, used, not sure how much the guy wanted though but I'm guessing its less than a ton
Website
gmerry   
Tue Jun 02 2015, 02:14pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, I'm swimming against the flow here but not felt any need to change the OEM tungsten filament bulbs for the rear lights, number plate illumination etc to any fancy LED types. In fact, after 6 years I've only had one of these bulbs fail in service and obviously no CAN problems either. Am I missing something?
magicands   
Tue Jun 02 2015, 05:50pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, I'm swimming against the flow here but not felt any need to change the OEM tungsten filament bulbs for the rear lights, number plate illumination etc to any fancy LED types. In fact, after 6 years I've only had one of these bulbs fail in service and obviously no CAN problems either. Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing something.
Its a matter of taste I guess.
I hate the yellowish tint from the original lighting and wanted nice clean bright Whites which is exactly what the LED's give to me.
Using Canbus Error Free creates no problems and None of my LED's have failed (YET)
I also think that there is a distinct difference between Filament style brake lighting and LED, the latter giving a much clearer braking indication to the car behind.
If you are happy with your lights then stick with them but the industy is about to leave you behind and within a few years all new cars will use the longer lasting and less power hungry LED's
Website
gmerry   
Wed Jun 03 2015, 08:51am
Member No: #21
Hi Magicands, the light from my rear tail lights / brake lights appears to be a nice red, not yellow so no need for LED bulbs!. The rear number plate illumination sources should not be directly visible. To the following motorist, all the light should be reflected from the yellow rear number plate so will appear yellow in anycase so no need for LED bulbs!

Yet to be convinced of the case for ANY LED bulb replacements on the C6! (OEM design for other models / future homologation stds is a different matter). I'm wondering whether anyone has informed their insurance company of the modification when fitting LEDS! (just kidding)
magicands   
Wed Jun 03 2015, 11:29am
The Yellowish tint I refer to is from the DLR's and the sidelights in the headlamps, these lamps are not daylight corrected and therefore display as yellow to the human eye.
All new BMW & Mercedes and many other vehicles (luxury class) have LED number plate lamps now.
You can fit legally any external light to a road vehicle as long as it displays the correct colour, does not flash or move.
An example of illegal are the Tyre fly lights that screw into the valves and turn on when the wheels spin.
As I said above, if you are happy then that's good but it seems that many on here are changing or looking at changing over to LED.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club