Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

what might happen if lds reservoir cap not removed?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
abrli   
Mon Mar 23 2015, 10:03pm
Member No: #1899
hi, out of curiosity why does the lds reservoir cap has to be removed prior to lifting the c6 up? and what might the consequences be if it's not done?

thanks!
andy
Jarecki   
Tue Mar 24 2015, 06:45am
Member No: #2069
I think the cap should be removed only when the suspension is in the low position and you can't lif it to "service UP", because of LDS circiuit can take air.
General idea of lifting is - before you lift the car up using jack or garrage lift - make the suspension in highest position, then when you just support the car, lower the pressure using worhshop computer, and lift up the car to do any maintenance.
Next important thing is to bring back pressure:
lower the lift, but only to position when the car wheels have a good contact to the floor, but not totally down. Start engine and lift suspension to the position HI.
I hope it is helpful.
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 24 2015, 08:58am

Member No: #1
If you don't remove the cap before lifting the car on a 2 post lift, letting the wheels hang, then the internal pressure created can split the tank............

It has happened to several site members.
Website
Jarecki   
Tue Mar 24 2015, 12:24pm
Member No: #2069
Hi C6Dave,
How to say... following this idea never jump (fly over the road driving fast), because wheels can hang for the moment and split the LDS tank ? Is it logical result of thinking that way.
Open the cap before lifting when the LDS pressure is over, low position? - YES
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 24 2015, 01:44pm

@Jarecki - this has happened to C6owners, believe it or not, it's not a myth, but a fact. Look through this site for the relevant forum threads.
Website
abrli   
Sat Mar 28 2015, 09:56pm
Member No: #1899
sorry guys have been away for the last few days. thanks a lot for your replies!

however it seems that I cannot find any mentioning of lds cap removal prior to lifting - Click Here - not even when lifting with a 2 column lift.

@jarecki is making a good point, could the tank explode when the car's airbourne momentarily? if the car indeed has this weakness then it doesn't sound terribly safe to drive?

patcrean406   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 12:02am
Member No: #1894
Trust me it breaks. It cost me over 300 euro. Unscrew the cap.
ul9601   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 02:33am
Member No: #1975
one would think yump would not cause the said damage because 1) the duration the wheels are off the ground is split second 2) before the wheels are hanging down at its full travel, it would bottom out first (or at least in the process of being compressed) then start to rebound. in case of two post hoist, the car is raised from a static state and the forces acting on the car and the wheels are direct opposite from the get go. you are comparing apples with oranges.
eduardomaio   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 11:16am
Member No: #869
abrli wrote ...

(...)

however it seems that I cannot find any mentioning of lds cap removal prior to lifting - Click Here - not even when lifting with a 2 column lift.

(...)

It is in the technical info on every operation that needs the car to be on a lift, it says so in red letters at the top.
Website
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 06:03pm

abrli wrote ...

The FAQ was created before the problem arose but has been amended now.

You asked the question, it's been answered and it's your choice on whether to heed the advice and there is no point in persuing this thread further.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club