C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Headlamps -worse than XM

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ricdic   
Sat Mar 21 2015, 10:00am
Member No: #1675
I owned 2 XMs a series 1 then one of the last RHD XMs built and I agree that the headlamps were not good on low beam but at least they were good on high beam.
Now I have a 2008 C6 which I bought a year ago with 89,000 km and yes it's a great car but I am very disappointed with the headlights on high beam. I have had 2 main dealers have a go and they say "they are within specification".
My problem is that the bright areas on high beam are above the road - It is not practical to lower the low beam any more as then it would be like an XM!!
Does anyone have any comments about how to improve these lights - I will be going to Cit-In at Easter (in Australia) so I will then have a chance to compare other C6s' lights then.
I have attached Pictures of a new Golf's light pattern and the C6's The picture that looks dull is where the camera stopped the exposure down but it does show the bright spots too high.
The pictures are Dealer Setting, My Low beam, My High, My High dull, Golf Low, Golf High

Jarecki   
Sun Mar 22 2015, 09:16pm
Member No: #2069
Hi,
I was also little dissapionted of high beam in my C6 - compared to C5. But in C5 there are additional high beam lamps givig together very good illumination.
I spend some minutes adjusting them.
First i adjusted using the recommended equipment, but i was not very good. So I took the torx with and just after I went back home in the evening I made small corrections, now is OK.
Other thing disturbs me more. In comparison to C5 - the hedlight levelling is a little bit "lazy" how do you thinK? C6 suspension is more ... bending? Headlight C5 and C6 looks same, same bulbs, may be the mechanism or a sensor is different - somebody has any knowledge?
Greetings.
chillmax   
Mon Mar 23 2015, 02:03pm
Member No: #1648
I'm really happy with mine, 2005 Petrol, maybe someone's done something to them to make them better, but they seem great to me and I'm coming from a full HID upgrade on my XM which is like X-Ray vision

Funnily enough though they seem to have that uneveness just like the first pic, up on the left!! Going into Citroen Crawley this week for lots of computer upgrades, so I might ask them about it.

Cheers JJ
Website
magicands   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 03:53pm
Member No: #1021
My high beam is good also, not as good as my Vauxhall Omega but still very good.
My Omega was useless on Low beam though, may as well have had a couple of candles behind the glass.
Website
Tjensen   
Sun Mar 29 2015, 05:32pm
Member No: #954
No complaints on the C6 lights from me. Had XM with new lamps and C6 is better and whiter, even if XM full light mode was quite good.
ul9601   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 08:26am
Member No: #1975
Jarecki wrote ...

Hi,
I was also little dissapionted of high beam in my C6 - compared to C5. But in C5 there are additional high beam lamps givig together very good illumination.
I spend some minutes adjusting them.
First i adjusted using the recommended equipment, but i was not very good. So I took the torx with and just after I went back home in the evening I made small corrections, now is OK.
Other thing disturbs me more. In comparison to C5 - the hedlight levelling is a little bit "lazy" how do you thinK? C6 suspension is more ... bending? Headlight C5 and C6 looks same, same bulbs, may be the mechanism or a sensor is different - somebody has any knowledge?
Greetings.

Pardon the thread resurrection but I'm going through the entire forum threads.
Anyway, I do agree that headlight levelling is "lazy" (of course there is a possibility of a fault on my car) - I'd say very lazy compared to my 2001 C5, which you can't miss its operation as even pulling up to traffic lights activates it a few notches up and/or down depending on how suddenly comes to a stop. It does work on C6 as the car is usually parked facing the garage door down the slope in the driveway, so I can tell it kicks up the headlight moment after started. But I hardly see it moving up and down once I'm driving.
Tjensen   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 09:52am
Member No: #954
For me, I do not notice up and down or turning of the lights while ordinary driving, it just works ! Quite pleased with the lights, but not dramatic good. XM series 1 had a problem with dipped main lights, but standard higway was good due to double bulbs & reflectors active. The DS turning headlights also worked very well, also nice with all 4 engaged.
onthecut   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 08:02pm
Member No: #2793
Having just got my new toy C6 on the road after a couple of weeks of jobs, the main thing I noticed was the headlights ----- [%*^#@!], in my opinion. Funnily enough, I also thought they were a relative comparison to the XM -- and absolutely nowhere near as good as my C5, or even my humble 206.

The disappointing bit is there is obviously no provision for any improvement as far as I can see.

Mike.
ricdic   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 04:12am
Member No: #1675
Well we have got a few who think the lights are bad!
There was a comment about a incorrectly fitted headlamp bulb in the Citroenian being fixed. When I enquired for more details I was told it was done at a garage and therefore there was no further information.

I drove rally cars for some years and do know where the lights are pointing and mine have a bright spot high on the left also the difference between high and low beams is too much so if you set low at a good height then high beam is only good for shooting birds!

But I do love driving it.
Trainman   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 06:31am

Member No: #86
If you think the lights on a C6 are bad, try driving a series 1 Xantia......... talk about candle power
Jarecki   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:40am
Member No: #2069
Could you check or find somwhere in the docs the distans from the road surface to the high beam axis? IMO they are a bit lower than in eg. C5 about 2-4 inch? Could someone confirm?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club