Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Central display and dashboard light fading (help!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
M21   
Wed Feb 25 2015, 10:25am
Member No: #871
Dear friends,

As you may know I own a 2008 2.2 HDI w/manual gearbox.

In the last couple of weeks I have experienced the most awkward issue since I own the C6.

The central screen (RT3 by the way) and the dashboard display light is fading…

Despite most of us complained about C6 central screen and display lacking bright, I’ve never though so, mine was fine...

But a couple weeks ago I’ve notice that the central screen was lacking the usual bright, looking darker than I has used to (and becoming even difficult to read under direct sun light).

Now this “issue” is starting to spread to the dashboard display (speedometer).

One thing I noticed is that it "lights" up in darker ambient and fades out in sunny conditions. At night there’s no problem at all, everything works with proper bright.

Saying that I think there must be some kind of sensor that controls the bright of the screen/dashboard according to light conditions outside. Is this true?

And if so, it’s by any means possible to experience sensor falling/malfunction in the way I’ve told?

Any of you experience the same with your cars?

Just to let you know that (don’t know if it matters) that the battery was replaced a couple months ago (with attention to minimum specs required).

What can it be? Sensor? Fuses?

Any help will be welcome since I’m trying not to take the car to Citroën service because this is on of those situations that you are clearly in their hands to pay anything they ask for…

Thank you.

Cheers.
Jodyone   
Wed Feb 25 2015, 11:07am
Member No: #1240
I had exactly this, once, about a year ago. It lasted across about 2-3 cycles of ignition on and off, and then went away after I'd left the car for a bit. Never happened again and I'f forgotten about it till I read your post. It'd be interesting to find out the cause..?
M21   
Wed Feb 25 2015, 01:27pm
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

In my car it started by the central screen (probably one month ago) and spread to the dashboard a couple days ago...

Regarding the dashboard you can clearly se that is related to the amount of light outside. The dashboard light weakens with sunny conditions.

Notice that it's the first time that this happen in years of ownership...

Regarding the head-up display it still works fine...

Sometimes I miss my Volvo...
PercyPorcelain   
Fri Feb 27 2015, 06:54pm
Member No: #2027
Hi M21 if you find a solution to this please let me know as I have the same problem on the same car, 2.2 Lignage (but 2 years older). Scarcely visible in daylight but okay after dark!
cruiserphil   
Fri Feb 27 2015, 09:10pm

Member No: #38
M21,

Did you try disconnecting the battery and leave stand for a while to attempt a full reset. I remember one day, the display started to work in reverse just like yours. Got darker for brighter conditions and brighter for darker conditions. When the sun shone it almost disappeared! I can't remeber how it went away, but it hasn't happened since.
Best regards,

Phil C.
M21   
Mon Mar 02 2015, 12:52pm
Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

I'll try disconnect the battery in order to acheive a "full reset".

Regarding that, do you have any idea how long I've to await before reconnecting again?

I'm afraid that leaving the car without power for too long maybe cause some problems in the settings...

Cheers.
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 02 2015, 01:56pm

Member No: #1
15 minutes should be enough and you won't lose any settings apart from posibly time and date.
Website
M21   
Wed Mar 04 2015, 10:27am
Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

This weekend I'll try to do a "full reset" and I'll inform the result.

Crossing fingers...

Cheers
M21   
Thu Mar 12 2015, 09:55am
Hi,

A little update just to let you know that I couldn't find time to unplugged the battery in order to perform a "full reset" as way to solve the mysterious fading of the central screen and dashboard.

Although, as funny as it may seems, the problems with the dashboard are long gone and it's working fine for several days straight.

I never believed in the self healing properties of the C6, but you never know...

Never the less, the fading of the central screen is still a problem, so I intent to perform the "full reset" asap. I'll let you guys know the result.

Cheers.
PercyPorcelain   
Thu Mar 12 2015, 11:48am
Member No: #2027
Thanks M21 I will be watching! Disconnecting the battery looks quite a job, as the access hatch is small and there are about 8 different things connected to the positive terminal. But if it works for you, I will have the motivation to try it on my car.
Cisco   
Thu Mar 12 2015, 01:02pm
Member No: #1429
Percy,

It's a 10 second job to disconnect the C6 battery. The negative terminal has a (green) quick disconnect which you just lift up to remove the terminal. Leave the positive terminal alone.

Just be aware that you must lower your windows before disconnecting or you run the risk of a broken side glass.
Doctorbaz   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 06:43pm
Member No: #3086
Hi all - resurrecting this thread as I experienced exactly this issue once, on a long, sunny motorway drive last week. All was completely normal with both displays until we started off after a service station stop. I noticed the speedo display was extremely dim, but would fade quickly back to normal brightness if driving under a dark bridge or through a tunnel for example; it would then dim again as the outside sunlight returned. The central audio/nav screen was unaffected, as was the head up display. However it only lasted that leg of the trip, and after a normal stop and restart 30 mins later all was normal again.

The only thing that was different about that leg of the trip from any other was the use of two cigar lighter sockets for charging of a mobile phone and a portable DVD player. I did wonder if this could be related to the display's abnormal behaviour; it is the first time I've powered two items simultaneously during a drive in the car.

Another 500 miles done since and keeping my fingers crossed!
eduardomaio   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 11:13pm
Member No: #869
Doctorbaz I had this happen a few times probably 4 or 5 years ago and it all happened when I would start the car when sunlight was hitting the display sensor directly (at 8am or so).

I think the sensor gets somewhat a wrong reading and only after turning the car off and on again it would work normally again. But in tunnels and bridges would come back to normal brightness, sometimes even too much.

This issue was happening on an entire week consecutive times, same time of day, same parking spot. On the third day I put my finger in front of the sensor so it would not have direct sunlight, turn the car on and left it there until the sun was no longer shinning directly in it and the display would work normally.

Seems to me like a bug in the display software.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club