Side window problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
macondo   
Wed Jan 14 2015, 03:54pm
Member No: #355
Hi,

Has anybody encountered the following problem: the side window doesn't remain in slightly down position after opening the door. Normally, it remains in this position until the door is closed, no matter position of the door handle (pulled or released), but in this case the window returned in the upper position as soon as I released the handle. Of course, I did not notice this.
In case of rare doors it would result just in impossibility to close the door because of the upper rubber mount not letting the door to slam. But in case of the front door the outcome turned to be much worse: when closing the door, the glass meets by its front edge the metal rim of the car body and cracks (like in my case).
I would not wonder, if this would have occured during the frost, but it was thaw, so no idea what could happen. Besides, when opening the door from the inside, the glass did not slightly lowered when I pulled the inner handle. All day I had to lower the glass by the windowraiser before opening the door from the inside or outside.
The next day, before I could reach the service, the problem escaped, so that it was nothing to do at the service.
Now I'm waiting for the new glass (thanks to triplex, it still works even seriously cracked) and check the glass position each time I want to slam the door.

What do you think could it be? Computer glicth, or oxidation of the limit switch, or anything else? Does it make any sense to change something in the system preventively?

Hattershaun   
Wed Jan 14 2015, 11:33pm
Member No: #320
I had this problem on both rear doors of my previous C6, which was built in Nov 2005.
The internal door lock mechanism needed to be replaced.
Inside the mechanism there's a micro-switch, which had failed on my car.
Commiserations on cracking the glass, I had this too, although when frost had frozen the glass, preventing it from lowering when I closed the door.

Cisco   
Thu Jan 15 2015, 01:02am
Member No: #1429
Hi I had this about 9 months ago, I was careful during winter to ensure that the glass came down before I opened/closed the door then in Spring.. I opened/closed the door quite quickly and sure enough the glass had either not come down or come up again!!

Anyway, resulted in a new driver side glass. Ever since I've been wary of a repeat but so far it's been fine.

Related aside story....

Once upon a time I worked in a car press shop (Linwood). We used small presses which operated at up to 100 items/min. every 10/20 million ops a press would repeat without explainable reason.

No big deal you may think but that repeat usually took half the operators hand with it.

I always think of that when I wonder if the C6 window will stay up!!
macondo   
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:19pm
What a bloodcurdling story! Just a question: with such a frequency 100 bpm, how was it possible for an operator to put his whole hand into the press, and what for?
Cisco   
Fri Jan 16 2015, 12:42am
Member No: #1429
Hi Macondo,

100 bpm was probably a little high but basically the (flat) item had to go into the press quickly and acurately. People were still quicker than machines for lots of things back then!

But doing something repeditive like that meant that you couldn't stop immediately even if you wanted to!

Good luck with your C6
macondo   
Fri Jan 16 2015, 01:48pm
Thank you guys for your kind answers.
I will ask serviceman to inspect the handle mechanism when replacing the glass, and if nothing visibly wrong, will leave it as it is. Hope the frequency of this collision is not more than 1 per 6 years of operation (mine is 6 years old now).
verycleverman   
Sat Jan 17 2015, 12:16am
Member No: #65
Cisco wrote ...

Related aside story....

Once upon a time I worked in a car press shop (Linwood). We used small presses which operated at up to 100 items/min. every 10/20 million ops a press would repeat without explainable reason.

That was probably the Imp I had! Potentially a good car, had they bothered to finish designing it before putting it into production.

Pete.
speedfix   
Sat Jan 17 2015, 11:34pm
Member No: #1043
macondo, maybe the micro switches are getting the blame some of the time, when the cars are parked outside in zero degrees of frost after rain or snow the windows get stuck to the rubber surround and do not lower as the door handle is opperated.
Disaster strikes when the door lets go cracking the glass.

After the event the window has to reset its self by operation before closeing the door.
Rileycat   
Sun Jan 18 2015, 05:31pm
Member No: #69
Dear Macondo
I sympathise with you. I had exactly the same experience last year on a wet day. I had opened the passenger door only slightly to drop some shopping into the footwell. When I closed the door it bounced back. I thought I had perhaps caught the seatbelt in it, and after checking that there was no such obstruction I closed it again, with the same result as you. The window had raised itself, and it cracked at the front corner. The crack quickly spread across the window and the glass prevented the door from shutting completely. I took the car the next day to the main dealer who did all the usual checks but found nothing wrong. A new window was fitted and the system with its interlocks checked but no explanation was ever found. I have had no trouble since, but I try to remember to look before I close any door. Regards Rileycat.
drummond   
Thu Jan 22 2015, 09:09am
Member No: #238
verycleverman, yes! However, I think that Hillman took a leaf out of Citroen's book, the Traction and the DS??!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club