17" Wheels for Winter Tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tonyrome   
Mon Dec 13 2010, 12:36pm
Member No: #15
JimC wrote ...
Anyway, some advice please: This thread has been dedicated to fitting 17" wheels with winter tyres but is there anything against replacing my existing 18" tyres with winter ones?

I wouldn't go for 18" winter tyres. Firstly, there's a limited choice at that size, secondly, the cost would be very high and thirdly, they would be wider than is ideal. On top of that, you'd need to either buy a new set of 18" alloys or swap them twice a year, which will cost a lot and also damage the rims much more quickly.

JimC wrote ...
Also, Is there any benefit from fitting 4 or will only the front ones need changing?

Fitting anything other than all 4 is very dangerous, as it screws up the handling.

michaelb wrote ...
I can't understand how winter tyres can be so quiet. I know on my mountain bike that big knobbly tyres make more noise than "road tyres". Surely the same is true of winter versus summer tyres?

Winter tyres for cars aren't knobbly, like MTB tyres, Michael! They're also made from a softer compound, hence the reduced road noise.

michaelb wrote ...
It certainly proves to me what I've long believed: that the car was designed and optimised for 17" wheels. There is such a positive change that I'm almost thinking of running them permanently.

For reference, this is covered in another thread. Pretty sure the C6 was designed with 17s in mind and then someone came along at the end of the development and decided it looked better with 18s, hence the road noise problem. Pity.
datmbn   
Mon Dec 13 2010, 05:21pm
Member No: #193
The 2.2 liter always have 17" and it both works and looks good.

Here cams some arguments for wintertyers :

1. you are going to save money (you are not wearing down your super high performances, expensive, fast wearing, low profile, 18" summertyres), you only have to slip into your neighbors postbox once to think that winter tyers are relay cheep.

2. you can spend a fortune on wintertyers butt you can get a set of Sunny SN3830 225/55 R17 101V XL on steel rims for 500 euro, this are really good tyres, (some of the china ant asian tyers dont work when the temp dropps) Last weekend i drive Motal-Oslo-Motala in snow/moddy conditions, i even had an trailer with furnitures behind. This tyers are some of the best a ever had.

3. steel rims are ugly but practical, no galvanic corrosion between rim and hub, no snow on brake-disks throw the rim

4. you are going to have an soft and quiet ride even in -20C

5. You are gong to have an more secure ride (no one want to meet someone with summertyres on winter-roads).

6. wintertyers are superior as son as the temp drops below 10-5C

7. You are going to get where you want without problem.

8. 1/12-31/3 it is illegal to go with summertyres on winterroads in sweden.

I hope no one get offended i just want to give you some argument for tow setts of tyers.

regards Mats

c6bern   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 10:58am
Member No: #148
gmerry wrote ...

C6bern, what width tyres do you have on the 17" rims: 245 or 225?

Regards
G

225/55r17 pilot alpin

quite poor on wet snow.

I don't like it when cars queue behind me, and in the wife's old saab that _never_ happens.

that car is on /65 profile contis.
datmbn   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 04:55pm
225/55r17 pilot alpin was fitted on min as year around tyres when i bought it, and i have to agree they are poor on snow and a bit track sensitive.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 05:15pm
Member No: #21
C6bern, when they wear out there are several recommendations from this site.

Regards
G
michaelb   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 05:29pm
Member No: #14
So far I'm very pleased with the Nokians. I parked in a space today on quite an incline and only realised when I stepped out of the car that the fresh dusting of snow was hiding sheet ice below, hence the parking space was vacant because anyone getting in and out had to risk the car sliding into the adjacent wall.

Conscious of this when I got back into the car to drive out I lowered the window to look at the front wheel as I eased off the foot brake, without touching the throttle she just crept out without a hint of slippage. Grip grip grip.

Haven't had the opportunity to try them in slush yet.
tonyrome   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:03pm
michaelb wrote ...
So far I'm very pleased with the Nokians.

Don't know anything about Nokians, in fact I've never heard of them. I assume they're a budget brand, Michael? In the review I read, the best are supposed to be Continental Winter Contact TS830s.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:05pm
Ugly steel 17" rims?

Thinking of getting them painted to match body colour. Then add chrome steel "hubcaps". Eg from a classic mini. How retro would that be?

Regards
G
RotaryBri   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 01:22am
Member No: #208
tonyrome wrote ...

michaelb wrote ...
So far I'm very pleased with the Nokians.

Don't know anything about Nokians, in fact I've never heard of them. I assume they're a budget brand, Michael? In the review I read, the best are supposed to be Continental Winter Contact TS830s.

Tony,
They used to be called Nokia - yes it's the same company as the mobile phone manufacturer but when they sold 20% of the company to Bridgestone they added the 'n' to make it Nokian. They are a very large maker of tyres in Finland so know all about winter tyres. They use the latest silica technology. They are not a budget brand and are far superior to those. When I sold caravan chassis to Scandinavian caravan companies they insisted on Nokia tyres so I had to import them and have them fitted here and then export them back.

I have used their summer tyres for many years. I ran my XM on them after the original Michelins wore out. I have them on my current car and can assure you that they are excellent products at much better prices than Michelin. I get mine from e-tyres - a German supplier.
michaelb   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 07:41am
I never heard of them either until they were listed on delti.com (mytyres.co.uk) and I did a bit of research. Once I discovered they were designed and made in Finland it was an obvious choice for me. They were a similar price to the Avon Ice Touring - I paid GBP £170 each.

I've a great respect for all things Finnish having been there a few times for work and pleasure and known many Finns in Chamonix. I remember one four hour trip at -30°, on white roads as you might expect, and the bus driver didn't drive below 100 kph once
datmbn   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 09:55am
Nokian tyers are common and well respected her in sweden to and i have been driving on both summer and winter tyres from them plenty of miles and they are good.

Ugly steel 17" rims (some indication that my wife is in an spear-part store, maybe something coming up on Christmas)

regards Mats
gmerry   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:26am
Michael, "we" run Nokian WR2s on the Citroen C4 as winter tyres. Excellent all round winter tyre. Not sure if they were available at short notice in the XL rated version, thats why I went with the Avon Ice Tourings STs.

Datm, post some pics of your Christmas presents. You Scandenavian types always seem to come up trumps with new ideas.

Regards
G
michaelb   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 02:44pm
gmerry wrote ...
Not sure if they were available at short notice in the XL rated version, thats why I went with the Avon Ice Tourings STs.

Funnily enough that's the reason I went for the Nokians because the place which quoted me for the Avons didn't have much information about them and I wasn't sure they were XL rated - I only discovered they are afterwards. I have great respect for Avon and remember their Turbospeeds used to be standard fit for Rollers and Bentleys because of their quietness. I also like to support small European manufacturers where I can and buying either Avon or Nokian answered that need.
RotaryBri   
Thu Dec 16 2010, 12:15am
Member No: #208
Correction - I should have said that I got them from mytyres.co.uk (Delti.com) and not e-tyres.
tonyrome   
Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:39am
michaelb wrote ...
I never heard of them either until they were listed on delti.com (mytyres.co.uk) and I did a bit of research. Once I discovered they were designed and made in Finland it was an obvious choice for me. They were a similar price to the Avon Ice Touring - I paid GBP £170 each.

I have just checked mytyres and they are only showing one winter tyre in the 225x55x17 size, which is a Hankook, at £293. There's no other winter tyre option listed in that size.

I've also gone back to one of the winter tyre test reports I read and found that Nokian (WR G2) came 6th out of 10 tested, just below the Michelins I have. The Continental Winter Contact TS 830 were rated best and proved superior in snow, wet and dry weather tests. They are also V rated and XL, so I'll probably go for these next.

Incidentally, most cars here use 16" for winter wheels and, if you check the prices, you'll see why! You get a very good selection at that size and a decent price. Anything bigger becomes far more expensive and with limited options.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club