C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Next Time Your C6 is Serviced Check the Coolant Pipe

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
scrappydoo   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 09:57pm
Member No: #1724
The coolant outlet at the front that it leaking is going to take me having to remove the air con compressor to get at it. Only issue is that this requires removal of the alternator belt which looking at the document on this site seems to involve using a special tool.

Does anyone know anyway around this?
e3steve   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:32pm
Member No: #1163
scrappydoo wrote ...

..... Only issue is that this requires removal of the alternator belt which looking at the document on this site seems to involve using a special tool.

Does anyone know anyway around this?
No special tool required, as I remember. Just a decent length combination ring spaniard -- 16mm or 17mm, I think -- to compress the accessory belt tensioner and then slip the belt off the idler below it.

Access for removing & refitting the belt is made easier if the o/s/f wheel and liner are removed....
scrappydoo   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 12:24am
Have removed the liner and access is fine but the tensioner pulley is 13mm and doesn't seem to want to budge either anti-clockwise or clockwise!
e3steve   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 08:41am
Member No: #1163
scrappydoo wrote ...

Have removed the liner and access is fine but the tensioner pulley is 13mm and doesn't seem to want to budge either anti-clockwise or clockwise!
On the tensioner casting you should observe a raised boss, in the shape of a hex-head, upon which you place a spanner (the ring end is more secure than the open end) and pull towards the front of the vehicle in order to compress the tensioner spring...

The tensioner & idler fixings remove in the normal (a/c/w) direction.
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 03:44pm

Member No: #38
Scrappy,

Didn't realise where this leak you were describing was until now. Do you see water leaking onto the front exhaust manifold? If you're talking moving the air con compressor out of the way to get at it it could be the coolant intake tank that's leaking, not the hoses. To access this you'll also have to remove the alternator. Two coolant hoses connect to this. Mine fractured around the neck with the O ring, where the tank pushes in to the block.

Hope this helps,

Phil C.
scrappydoo   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 05:45pm
Yes, that's the one....only notice by chance when noseying around under there while changing the main coolant pipe. Anyone know the part number for the new part outlet housing?
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 27 2014, 10:50pm

Member No: #38
Part no. is 1336 Y2,

Coolant tank Replacement Tutorial: - Click Here -

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Sun Dec 07 2014, 08:48am
Member No: #614

Managed to fit it complete with all rubber hoses still attached and the key is to have the front end jacked as high as you can so you can place the pipe upto the vehicle at an obtuse angle. I made the mistake of initially fitting it and then having to unbolt the wiring loom that bolts around the gearbox and had to then get the pipework around that!

Sadly never took any pictures as before I started I had full plans to complete the modification prior to fitting but then once I looked at the part that I'd just paid over £60 for it was paining me to take a saw to it!

Does anyone know how to get to the front coolant pipes under the front EGR valve as that's where I've found a coolant leak? Also whereabouts is the engine coolant drain location?

Hi Scrappdoo,
I might have a go at the repair again now that it is possible to install the new pipe i purchased a few months back. I also couldn't bring myself to sawing it in half. When you say jack up the front as high as possible, do you mean jack it and use a high setting on a set of axle stands? Or did you use a garage lift?
Or maybe another setup?

Kind regards
321davd

scrappydoo   
Sun Dec 14 2014, 07:12pm
Sorry for slow response, only just seen your reply!

I have two 3 ton trolley jacks and got the front end up with them and then placed the car on two 3 ton axle stands.

They'll be some swearing but it does fit it though you have to go in at some strange angles!
321dave   
Mon Dec 15 2014, 02:23pm
scrappydoo wrote ...

Sorry for slow response, only just seen your reply!

I have two 3 ton trolley jacks and got the front end up with them and then placed the car on two 3 ton axle stands.

They'll be some swearing but it does fit it though you have to go in at some strange angles!

Hi Scrappydoo,
no problem at all, thank you for reply anyway. Would you say it was up at about 500-600mm at the front in terms of clearance from ground level or a bit higher up on the jacks, my axle stands are a bit short, but I know you can get taller ones! Anyway, Im just trying to get a good visual idea of how you got in under to work the pipe up into place. Thanks again for letting everyone know it is in fact possible.

Kind regards
321dave
scrappydoo   
Mon Dec 15 2014, 03:33pm
Yeah, I'd say that was the height I had it up to roughly.....I was on the first notch of the axle stand only....not the higher second and third notches.

Oh and just to say if you've got to change the coolant hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the rear egr valve....the way to remove the end at the EGR valve is to use a small pair of mole grips to loosen the clip.
321dave   
Mon Dec 15 2014, 05:50pm
scrappydoo wrote ...

Yeah, I'd say that was the height I had it up to roughly.....I was on the first notch of the axle stand only....not the higher second and third notches.

Oh and just to say if you've got to change the coolant hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the rear egr valve....the way to remove the end at the EGR valve is to use a small pair of mole grips to loosen the clip.

Many thanks Scrappydoo, I'll remember that when i have a go fitting the full pipe before January hopefully. Thanks again.

kind regards
321dave
Norman   
Wed Feb 11 2015, 09:54pm
Member No: #364
Hi all, Took mine into Perrys Citroen in Huddersfield today to take advantage of the winter check over at £29.99 which included a goody bag of a snow shovel, a reflective vest, bottle of screen wash, and a windup torch while it was there I asked them to check the coolant pipe ( I left on the drivers seat a print out of the first two pages of this thread, ) and it came back as fine but they found I have a slight oil leak from somewhere which it will have to go in for at a later date. I also asked them the price to change the gearbox oil which came out at £254 or thereabouts.

Norman.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club