C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Coolant loss quandary

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Jodyone   
Wed Nov 12 2014, 08:54pm
Member No: #1240
Chaps! I'm not sure how best to approach the problem. I have a quandary. My C6 is starting to lose coolant, roughly 2 litres so far in about 3K miles. It's done 124,000 miles. There's a small calcified dribble near the belt end of the engine, where I'd expect it if the thermostat housing had failed. The coolant overflow tank looks ok. I don't know about the pipe behind the nearside wheel arch.

I'm currently driving the car about 1K miles a week - 500 commuting daily, and 500 between wales and cornwall at the weekend. I need to leave every sunday evening. That pattern ends at christmas, about 6 weeks away, at which point my mileage will drop down to very little, and I'll have plenty of time to investigate.

I've read most of the threads here about coolant issues and the consequences of dramatic loss. I've read e3Steve's fabulous pictorial instructions for changing the thermostat tank. As I see it, my options are as follows:

1: Get the car to the nearest Citroen dealer somehow (Bassets Bridgend, so far underwhelming service) and pay them whatever to sort it out, assuming I can get a courtesy car out of them. I've done this already this year, to some expense, for the alternator, and for the Eolys tank.

2. Order everything I might need (thermostat housing- guessing?), and do the job myself at the weekend. I'm capable of this (not massively excited about it), but concerned that if I break some silly clip or other then I'm done for.

3. Keep topping up and worrying, until christmas when I can give the problem time and investigate properly.

Ultimately if I try to fix it myself and fail, I can borrow a car for the week following.

Apologies for the essay, but I'd appreciate some sensible advice - I'm going around in circles myself (metaphorically).
gmerry   
Wed Nov 12 2014, 09:25pm
Member No: #21
Don't run the car without fixing the leak (or at least adding a level sensor warning).

Risk = Consequence x probability

(Repair cost could be thousands, probability seems to be very high)

Looks like you have a high risk

C6Dave   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 08:06am

Member No: #1
Don't forget, it could also be the water pump that's leaking at that end of the engine.

Your best off investigating it 1st rather than change parts that aren't required.
Website
Jodyone   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 09:05am
Thanks both. I had the water pump replaced earlier this year, and it still looks ok; also, I can see residue dribbling out of the V onto the engine mount.

I've booked the car in to the dealer for monday. I still have to get to work this week though, so I'll keep topping up and worrying. I can't risk a 250mile drive tomorrow, so cannot go home this weekend! Damn cars... the most annoying thing is, I could deal with it myself easily, but time is gold dust...
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 04:17pm

Member No: #38
If it's dribbling out at the height of the engine mounting and from the Vee on the auxiliary belt end it sounds coolant tank

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 09:53pm
Member No: #1163
Jody, it certainly sounds to me like your car's coolant output tank is on its way out. Mine started just like yours, it seems.

The damned things split at the bonded seams, and once it starts it will only get worse with the cooling system's pressure.

I reckon I could now replace one in two hours, three tops, so don't let Your Favourite Dealer kick you in the nuts on the labour bill. The advantage of getting them to do the job is that they should have in stock any parts that they break! It's necessary to unclip and move aside many fuel and other brittle plastic pipes, which can quickly turn into heartache.

The output tank is around £135 before any discount, and it includes the new O-rings. I should think you'll more than likely need some fresh coolant too.
Jodyone   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 10:04pm
Thank you. I've got about 80 necessary miles to do yet before the car goes in... I did 40 tonight with no detectable loss. Weirdly, I was kind of looking forward to following your guide Steve, it's the sort of job I can enjoy (top of engine, rather than underneath the car, etc) and get a chance to inspect some other bits, but there it is. No available time=dealer ££. I think your assumption about items in stock somewhat overestimates the resources of the nearby dealer... It took them a week to find a battery..?!
Jodyone   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:03pm
Well, it turned out to be the water pump! Which I had remembered as being replaced this year, but was actually october last year... so much for my memory, and that puts it just outside the warranty. I'm not impressed at such a quick failure, but relieved that the '6 is back in action again. The local dealer did the job (new pump, coolant, labour) for just under £300.

I'm still concerned about the residue in the V though, so I'll do some investigating in the new year. I'm sort of inclined to change out the coolant tank anyway, for peace of mind- after 8 years and 124K miles I guess it's just a matter of "when" it goes. Thanks for all the helpful replies, everyone!
e3steve   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:15pm
Member No: #1163
Good news and bad, then! Good: that cost seems quite reasonable for a main dealer.

Bad: can't believe the replacement water pump failed after just thirteen months, though. Unacceptable, I'd say. Was it a pattern part? I'm sure we'd all like to know which type to avoid fitting!

I'd certainly be ready to replace your car's coolant output tank, especially before undertaking any long trips... Age & mileage definitely flagging that as likely!
Jodyone   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:45pm
I thought the cost was reasonable, too. About the pump, I honestly can't remember: it was replaced by an independent, who certainly sourced some other parts from the local Citroen dealer, but I'm not sure if he got the water pump from them or not. I'll find out when I'm at home and can check my files... currently I only have access to emails, to date the job. If it was a pattern part, I'll just shrug my shoulders and write it off, but I'll let you know.

I've got a FRIP joint and two drop links to do this winter, and I'm kind of looking forward to giving the car some attention rather than just rinsing it for miles (I'm never casual with fluids though! new oil&filter every 5-10K max). My god it's a relief to have it back after the C4 Picasso they gave me. If that was my car I would have assumed the gearbox was broken and half the engine (the fast half) was missing.

speedfix   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 11:12pm
Member No: #1043
Hope a coolant pressure check was carried out also a header tank cap renewal as a pump of all types would IMO last for a longer duration, unless other under lying prob exist.
321dave   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 12:52pm
Member No: #614
speedfix wrote ...

Hope a coolant pressure check was carried out also a header tank cap renewal as a pump of all types would IMO last for a longer duration, unless other under lying prob exist.

Hi all,
did we ever find out what type of water pump was fitted for Jodyone? Was it a Citroen sourced Pump?

kind regards
321dave
Jodyone   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 01:03pm
321dave wrote ...

speedfix wrote ...

Hi all,
did we ever find out what type of water pump was fitted for Jodyone? Was it a Citroen sourced Pump?

kind regards
321dave

Hi Dave

I asked for the old pump back from the dealer, but of course never got it..! I forgot to check my invoices when last at home- I'll find out next time, and report back.
321dave   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 02:53pm
Member No: #614
Many Thanks Jodyone,
i was just wondering, after reading the older forum posts today for clues as what parts to purchase for changing out the timing belt, i also noticed pumps with metal impellers and plastic impellers? Just an observation.

kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 05:54pm
Member No: #21
Hope this helps a bit: SKF do an OE quality pump for the 2.7 diesel
VKPC 83261

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club