C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Shock Absorber Failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 07:11pm

Member No: #1
Sorry, I have no idea who makes them Tjensen may have seen the packaging and have some idea.
Website
e3steve   
Wed Nov 19 2014, 07:33pm
Member No: #1163
321dave wrote ...

... Was wondering is it also in the correct vertical position (see image below) apologies the image seems upside down this time

Kind regards
321dave

Image rotated for you, 321!
321dave   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 12:33am
Member No: #614
Many thanks e3steve. Would you have a similar photo of the driver side strut on your C6 for comparisons? I think they are similar in age and spec, mine was built 22/09/2006.

Kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 09:13am
Member No: #21
Hi all, I have purchased a spare strut. There is nothing in the internal or external packaging to hint at whom is the manufacturer.

If supply is short, what happened to the Polish/Latvian repair option? Anyone followed this up?

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 10:56am
Member No: #954
Somwhere on the net there is a drawing of the C6 with manufacturer/source for main parts (Japanese spheres, UK engine etc)
gmerry   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 01:38pm
Tjensen, "somewhere" includes this forum. I referred to a copy of the list several years ago.

Regards.
G

The Launch Suppliers poster shows the "shocks" as being manufactured by Kayaba, aka KYB. They are Japanese but have a German European base.. The Japanese are notorious for poor support of out of manufacture product.

Good thing is the seals are shown as Busak and Shamban, ie the same as 90% of western manufactured hydraulic equipment so probably a generic seal.

I think a good motorcycle shock repairer would be able to sort these!

See C5 literature
Citron has been using pneumatic suspension technology on its cars since 1955 and this Hydractive suspension uses electronic control of the springing and damping to constantly adapt to road and driving conditions.

KYB Suspensions Europe commented, We are extremely proud of the way our relationship with Citroen has developed over the past few years. It is a reflection on our world class product quality that we continue to supply such a prominent European manufacturer.

In addition to Citroen, KYB also supplies original equipment shock absorbers to numerous other vehicle manufacturers (OEMs) around the world, including Audi-VW Group, Ford, General Motors, Mitsubishi, Renault and Toyota.

More than one in four cars leaving production lines worldwide are fitted with KYB shock absorbers as standard, making KYB the worlds largest supplier of OE shocks to vehicle manufacturers.

For further information, please contact:
Sue Clough
Brand Manager, KYB Europe
+44 (0)1925 425765
+44 (0)7966 562007
E-mail: e mail icon
speedfix   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 05:54pm
Member No: #1043
"Was wondering is it also in the correct vertical position"

Have had several over the years that have let go through corrosion within the mounting letting the shocks rise and lift the bonnet, have not had any detonation so far!

IMO your picture is showing the shock on its way, best to get it checked out.

pix of o/s shock travel on cars, one low mileage the other 100,000 miler.

321dave   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 07:02pm
wrote ...

"Was wondering is it also in the correct vertical position"

Have had several over the years that have let go through corrosion within the mounting letting the shocks rise and lift the bonnet, have not had any detonation so far!

IMO your picture is showing the shock on its way, best to get it checked out.

Thanks Guys, brillant replys! I agree, i think the strut is moving up a bit now, possibly after first rotating out of it locking position a little as it appears in the picture. Will replace it as fast as i can purchase a new replacement one! hopefully i can get one soon. Thanks again.

kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Fri Nov 21 2014, 01:46pm
Hi, If anyone is still looking for replacement front shocks for a V6 engined C6 (not a four pot), try Allegro.pl and search under Citroen part numbers 5271L7 and 5271L8 (being left hand and right hand respectively).

These look like new items still in their Citroen Box complete with plugs and may be a bot cheaper than new from Citroen UK

NB I think Allegro is kind of like ebay bit big in Poland, Germany? etc.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Nov 21 2014, 02:44pm
Hi Speedfix, just wondering about your comment.

Does the "have had" refer to your personal experience with Citroen C6s or are you talking about cars in general. What was the average age of the cars that failed?

Regards
G
gbl   
Fri Nov 21 2014, 05:36pm
Member No: #936
gmerry wrote ...

Hi, If anyone is still looking for replacement front shocks for a V6 engined C6 (not a four pot), try Allegro.pl and search under Citroen part numbers 5271L7 and 5271L8 (being left hand and right hand respectively).

These look like new items still in their Citroen Box complete with plugs and may be a bot cheaper than new from Citroen UK

NB I think Allegro is kind of like ebay bit big in Poland, Germany? etc.

Regards
G

Thanks for the tip gmerry. Just be cautiuos and double check if you order. If you enter 5271L7 on allegro.pl, then what actually will appear is 5271L5. The description says that this part fits C5 and C6. To my knowledge no C5's have the AMVAR system, so my guess is that this part might be for C5 and 4-cylinder C6.
Tjensen   
Sat Nov 22 2014, 10:48am
Member No: #954
Thanks to gmerry for good information ! In the old LHM-times there was a rumour that the secret of the successful CITROEN suspension was not only in patents, but also in ability to mass-produce with very high precision. Suspension strut failure was unusual on ds, gs, cx and on Xm only due to Peugeot-type upper end rust. Now, on c6, more like ordinary schock absorber quality. And, surprise, made by a producer of ordinary shockabsorbers. Mine was only 70000km old. LHM- system did not rely on gaskets but high precision and controlled lubricating leakage with return piping.
321dave   
Sat Nov 22 2014, 02:55pm
Hi All,
I noticed the drivers side wheel is closer to the top of wing/wheel arch. See pic below, than the other side was. So I measured fairly roughly the two. The driver side wheel was about 10mm or more forget now, different in the wheel arch comparing to the passenger side which looks normal i think? That is roughly the same as what turned out to be the displacement of the strut vertically in the engine bay!!!

I thought the car seemed a little low on the drivers front, but just though it was incorrect ride height, but it's not, it's the strut moving up for sure!!! It's out of general use now until further inspection and a replacement component can be sourced (thats starting to look like a problem now as well).

Considering what will eventually happen (see Paschals C6) anyone with an older C6 should start to check the top of the drivers side strut for a little movement upwards!! Good luck!

Kind regards
321dave

speedfix   
Sat Nov 22 2014, 08:22pm
Member No: #1043
"LHM- system did not rely on gaskets but high precision and controlled lubricating leakage with return piping."

Can't think that the lds fluid systems have gaskets, "o"rings yes.

IMO the lds is more in keeping with the old lhs2 both are hygroscopic absorb moisture.

That was the failing that brought about the much improved lhm on later cars, but had its failings in other respects.

Fast forward with the lds synthetic fluid with the better lubricating properties etc the problem now is two fold, one is the fluid build up within the shock absorber gaiter boot as there is no return to tank for lubed leaked fluid, this fluid pressure blows the lower boot seal causing a small leak that over time will not do the suspension rubber bushes any good.

On older cars fitted with the return to tank the bypass leakage was more so but could never be seen unless the return pipes came loose or broke!

2. The next is that I can not and never have seen any service specific operations for the imo recommended lds fluid change.

I would like to think that we all carry this out with the ATF change at about
60,000 80,000 miles.

A high powered magnet fitted to the tank would is also a bonus.

Now to the shocks, why is the drivers side imo more likely to fail than the n/s that is running with more road bumps dirty water and pot holes, could the weight of the driver be a factor if used most of the time by him!

Corrosion within the mounting and clip seems to be the weakness when the shocks lets go.
321dave pleased that you have caught yours in time.

321dave   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 01:58pm
speedfix wrote ...

"LHM- system did not rely on gaskets but high precision and controlled lubricating leakage with return piping."

Can't think that the lds fluid systems have gaskets, "o"rings yes.

IMO the lds is more in keeping with the old lhs2 both are hygroscopic absorb moisture.

That was the failing that brought about the much improved lhm on later cars, but had its failings in other respects.

Fast forward with the lds synthetic fluid with the better lubricating properties etc the problem now is two fold, one is the fluid build up within the shock absorber gaiter boot as there is no return to tank for lubed leaked fluid, this fluid pressure blows the lower boot seal causing a small leak that over time will not do the suspension rubber bushes any good.

On older cars fitted with the return to tank the bypass leakage was more so but could never be seen unless the return pipes came loose or broke!

2. The next is that I can not and never have seen any service specific operations for the imo recommended lds fluid change.

I would like to think that we all carry this out with the ATF change at about
60,000 80,000 miles.

A high powered magnet fitted to the tank would is also a bonus.

Now to the shocks, why is the drivers side imo more likely to fail than the n/s that is running with more road bumps dirty water and pot holes, could the weight of the driver be a factor if used most of the time by him!

Corrosion within the mounting and clip seems to be the weakness when the shocks lets go.
321dave pleased that you have caught yours in time.

Many thanks Speedfx, I'm still wondering why it didn't fail totally, it's like the clip is stuck or sliding in a trapped position with downward pressure. Could it be a gradual fail?
When I get the time to get in and have a look ill post pictures of what I find.

Kind regards
321dave
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club