Air Intake

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jon_viola   
Sun Sep 21 2014, 10:32pm
Member No: #1829
Hi,

Just doing some odd cleaning jobs on the car and noticed there is a hole cut into the air intake so that it draws air from the engine bay as well as the outside of the car.

I was thinking that this will make the charge hotter and reduce power/mpg. Has anyone tried covering this hole so the car only draws only outside air?
Tjensen   
Sun Sep 21 2014, 11:01pm
Member No: #954
Usually , it is a flap of some kind , so that the engine uses engine bay air in the warm-up period and in cold environment. In some old cars it was manual (DS ?). I am not sure how this is done in C6
gmerry   
Mon Sep 22 2014, 06:35am
Member No: #21
Hi Jon, this has been covered before if you check the archive.

The intake system is tuned acoustically, don't mess with it.

Regards

G

PS, earlier replies hinted at petrol carburettor intakes where avoidance of carburettor freezing was the main design criteria. Obviously does not apply to an unthrottled turbo-charged diesel.
Tjensen   
Mon Sep 22 2014, 07:31am
Member No: #954
I searched and found 2 old topics, but none of them explain. Is it a flap somewhere ? How is warm/cold air used and mixed ? I changed my air filter to a "sport filter" in the CX Turbo, after that it took all the air from inside and got a bit hotter (OK in Norway, not when driving fast in southern Europe.
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 22 2014, 09:22am

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

I searhed and found 2 old topics, but none of them explain. Is it a flap somewhere ?

There is no 'flap' as such, if you look at the air intake at the front grill end, there is a cut away section which confuses people.

It's part of the intake design. There is a picture on site in a thread, but I can't find it ATM.
Website
jon_viola   
Mon Sep 22 2014, 09:47am
Yep thats what it looks like to me. On my 3.0 car there doesnt seem to be a flap just a cut out. It may be accoustically tuned but its definitely less efficient if its bringing the charge temps up.

speedfix   
Mon Sep 22 2014, 10:44am
Member No: #1043
"The intake system is tuned acoustically, don't mess with it."

It can be altered if you can find room !

And I had always thought the position and design and water being heavier than air was to help the air not water being sucked in the intake.

As for the hot air no probs as the intercooler will take care of that.
All IMO.
jon_viola   
Mon Oct 06 2014, 05:42pm
Ok so update time.

I covered the hole temporarily to see the effect. Subjectivly I would say that initial pick up is much better. My MPG has definitely improved since. Eg varied driving incl country roads, some m'way (with traffic jam) and a little town total 120miles round trip the trip computer said 43.5mpg. I would say thats a 1-2mpg improvement on my car.

I would be interested to see if anyone else gets the same results- get the gaffer tape out seal it properly and carefully, and obviously quickly removable if you don't like it.

BTW the car sounds no different at all at any speed.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club