Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ludwig9773   
Mon Jul 24 2023, 10:01am
Member No: #4704
Greetings all from Germany,

Long time since I posted last.

My C6 air conditioning was not working this morning. I had my Topdon OBD reader with me and the engine module cooling and A/C system was showing "AC CANCEL REQUEST" as a 'YES'. I looked in the on-board computer and the Air Conditioning was set to 'ON'. I did a quick search and initial indication was engine cooling fan not working - coolant temp was 90-degrees celsius and engine cooling fan was not running.

I drove to work with the cabin heater on full blast and full hot in an effort to keep engine cool with what I suspected to be a faulty cooling fan/relay/fuse. Coolant temps were in the 80's.

Got to the parking garage and parked the car. I turned the car off and re-started it (classic IT Professional procedure) and the AC Cancel Request was back to normal ('NO'). Cooling fan was running at 19% with coolant temps b/w 90-95 degrees. So that all came back to life. But cabin air was only 'cool' and not cold as normal.

So my question is regarding the AC refrigerant pressure. The system when compressor was off was reading 3-3.5 BAR and when compressor was on, this pressure would read b/w 5-6 BAR (low 5s if I remember correctly). Compressor was reported to consume 100-250 watts depending on engine RPM (so compressor was pumping).

Does anybody know what these refrigerant pressures SHOULD be? I'm thinking maybe just low on some refrigerant. System condensing coil was replaced last year.

Thank you all again for help and support.

Vielen Gruuuss,

Chris
onthecut   
Tue Jul 25 2023, 09:29am
Member No: #2793
Hi Chris.

Hopefully the attached may help.

Taken from the Citroen C6 manual.

Mike.

Ludwig9773   
Tue Jul 25 2023, 08:45pm
Member No: #4704
Thank you very much for that info. In my opinion, I have lost some refrigerant and it probably drops below the minimum threshold that triggers the compressor cut-off. I have a can of refrigerant that I will add to the system to see if that ‘fixes’ the problem. Then I will monitor how long it lasts to estimate how bad the leak is. I have a UV light to see if any dye shows up.
Jas16   
Mon Jul 31 2023, 10:18pm
Member No: #2994
I have used the air con regas can's in the past and are very convenient. Though I suspect that I am leaking gas via the service ports, the valves maybe the original so the rubber seals may be weak/hardened.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club