Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

No replacement air mix flaps available or heater box servicing kit?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
JimC   
Thu Feb 09 2017, 09:05pm
Member No: #229
Here's an overview of where I'd cut-out on the driver's side if I was facing it again...

e3steve   
Fri Feb 10 2017, 04:52pm
Member No: #1163
JimC wrote ...

Here's an overview of where I'd cut-out on the driver's side if I was facing it again...

I did exactly that, Jim, from your tutorial!
JimC   
Sat Feb 11 2017, 09:35am
I noticed that Lidl had a consignment of the cutting tools in stock... powered via cable but a lot cheaper than some other brands.
e3steve   
Tue Feb 14 2017, 02:08pm
A vibra-saw does the job a treat!

Regarding the repairing of the flaps themselves: I beefed mine up, along the spindle axis, using JB Weld epoxy and after binding the spindle back together with 2.4mm Ty-wraps.

The manufacturing is flawed, as when the "flaps" are in the upper position (thus providing warmer temperature air-mix) the weight of the complex flaps' moulding is directly loading force onto the slender spindles, twisting them whilst they're in the flow of hot air. The plastic softens, twists and eventually gives way to the torsion.

Under-engineered! New ones will eventually go the same way, although it does seem to take over 100k miles / 160k kms for most to actually fail in this way...
eke   
Wed Feb 15 2017, 05:37pm
Member No: #624
I have used resistors to control electric power to the motors of flaps so that they do not turn the flaps too strongly. There is discussion and how-to guide in finnish Citroen-foorumi, I followed the discussion and guide in this link: - Click Here -. With Google translator it can be readable in English. The car is Citroen C5 model II, but the wires were same in my C6.

I did it around two years ago and everything is still working. Diagbox Global test shows two errors conserning electrical circuits (if I remember correctly) in climate control test, that is the only negative thing.

So this might be alternative for cutting holes and replacing flaps, if you do it before the axels break.
JimC   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 11:23am
JimC wrote ...

Hi Cisco,
My passenger side has just gone the same way so I'll be getting my cutter out again.
Providing I can fix my existing flap, I should have a spare (if you can just remind me where the 'safe place' is that I put it )

PPS: I'm also putting my car on the market (once I fix the heater)... 2008 Black C6 Lignage, 99400 miles with 4 spare alloy wheels (one in need of repair) and two winter tyres. MOTd to 15th August with new 'bits' just about everywhere except the radio display.

As an update... and after fitting a new radio display; I'm now the ex-owner of my C6 (sob). Bye all (for now).

Cheers, Jim
gmerry   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 12:15pm
Member No: #21
Hi Jim, that will be no more waving at Bridge of Dee, from me to you.

Best Regards
cruiserphil   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 04:57pm

Member No: #38
JimC,

You might come back some day. Never say never!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
JimC   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 05:12pm
gmerry wrote ...

Best Regards

Watch out for me in a Xsara Picasso!!
e3steve   
Fri Mar 10 2017, 08:38am
JimC wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Best Regards

Watch out for me in a Xsara Picasso!!
Great car!

I take it that your C6 was the one I keep getting Gumtree emails about, Jim?
JimC   
Fri Mar 10 2017, 10:09am
Hi Steve, it was on Gumtree (advert now deleted) but i was getting emails OK so suspect your comms may have been related to another black C6 being sold by a dealer in Newtonhill, Aberdeen.
kmaetz   
Mon Oct 08 2018, 05:12pm
Member No: #1551
Dear gentlemen,
I don't want to be 3rd winter without heating, so I took the courage after reading your great posts and instructions to get my flaps out of the box. Started with passenger's side LHD (better access), but recognized, to my big surprise, that the flap is there in 1 piece, motor moving. I can move the flap with a screwdriver and the blowers felt finally hot. The only issue is, when I mount it back with motor - again no hot air, only cold, when AC on. This cold position of the flap is the only one I could synchronize with motor. I feel with my finger, that motor is vibrating but only a short while. It seems, that it can't move the flap, so probably (due to a resistance fuse) it stops moving to not overheat itself.
Has anyone experienced something similar - flaps stuck/going hard? I'm surprised, how weak the plastic is - after few actuations with screwdriver, edges start to dissapear - it's like butter! Is there any possibility to grease it? I'm afraid of reaction between grease and plastic and on other hand I can grease only 1 fixation point out of 2 and I'm not speaking about the trajectory of the flap.
I would be glad of course to not cut in, when the flap seems not broken.
Pics show motor at low setting, flap in 2 max positions (at least as I felt it).

Still 1 more question> my webasto heating is the same time also not operational - it starts up, runs for 3-4 minutes, but then turn off. Maybe there's also an overheating fuse? Because of returning hot air from closed flaps back to the heater.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

thanks!

2.7hdi '06 exclusive + lounge pack
joopajaa   
Tue Oct 09 2018, 08:50am
Member No: #3261
kmaetz wrote ...

Still 1 more question> my webasto heating is the same time also not operational - it starts up, runs for 3-4 minutes, but then turn off. Maybe there's also an overheating fuse? Because of returning hot air from closed flaps back to the heater.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

I dont think the webasto will shut down because the flaps. You have air on your water or the water pump is dead on the webasto - you should check the fault code. Mine's have a broken right side temp-flap and no worries with aux heater - only problem is the quite cold air on right side of the car. I will do the flap fix as instructed on C5 forums before winter.
kmaetz   
Wed Oct 10 2018, 05:51am
Member No: #1551
You have air on your water or the water pump is dead on the webasto - you should check the fault code.

How do you connect to Webasto Joopajaa? Under the glove box I've found this unit>
Probably only the remote start controller?

joopajaa   
Wed Oct 10 2018, 11:43am
Member No: #3261
kmaetz wrote ...

You have air on your water or the water pump is dead on the webasto - you should check the fault code.

How do you connect to Webasto Joopajaa? Under the glove box I've found this unit>
Probably only the remote start controller?

You have the webasto remote controller receiver on your hands. I dont have webasto but a similar Binar. This one is not connected to cars CAN-interface - as webastos usually are (if that is the case you can see the webastos fault codes via diagbox - I see my heater fault codes via heaters timer).
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club