"Future Classic" preparation

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
blackhatphil   
Mon Jun 16 2014, 08:54am
Member No: #882
Hi everyone.
Recently I have been thinking about buying a classic car for 'highday and holiday' use. Looked at everything from a moggy minor to a stag to a DB7 Vantage Volante!

Then it struck me. I am DRIVING a classic. The world just doesn't know it yet!

It is currently looking a million dollars after refurbishment of the wheels, and replacement with new hub caps and apart from those damn bubbling steering wheel cruise/limiter controls has got nothing else wrong with it.
It's done just over 60,000 and it is an '08 plate and I am looking to keep it at least another 10 years, doing maybe 2000 miles a year. It will be SORN from October to March and when it is used it'll be long runs mostly, just to rekindle the love!

So having found a place to "store" my C6 does anyone have any hints and tips about how to keep it tip-top? I *think* I'll be able to plug in a battery optimiser, but if not I'll be able to start and run it monthly.

And finally, is anyone able to recommend a good quality, fitted, car cover?

Many thanks!

dsharples   
Mon Jun 16 2014, 07:40pm
Member No: #119
What about your wing mounted indicator repeaters, mine have become a little "white" and not silver? And the Chromework? Any Tips?
drummond   
Tue Jun 17 2014, 07:17am
Member No: #238
My OH thinks I've got too many classics anyway-another one, no!
blackhatphil   
Wed Jul 09 2014, 09:58pm
Going to try asking this again - you never know...there were access problems when I first posted!

Is it possible to add the leads and connections for a battery optimiser and if so, to where? The battery or to the terminals under the bonnet?
Assuming I can get an optimiser connected and plugged in, would that be sufficient for up to 6 months of non-use?
e3steve   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 06:44am
Member No: #1163
Personally, and as an electrical & electronics tech, I'd connect up at the under-bonnet provision. However, some battery "optimisers" require a direct connection to the battery posts themselves in order to eliminate the inescapable voltage drop within copper cable.

Why bother with an optimiser anyway? The 'decent' ones are expensive and the cheap ones are nothing more than 'dangerously Chinese'! A simple 12V/5-Amp charger via a plug-in timer set for two-hours a day will suffice. Besides, it's just a battery; once it starts to sag, capacity-wise, change it. I got a sealed-for-life Varta Silver 100A/h last November. Trade price was about £115, and it carries a five-year unconditional guarantee.
C6Dave   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 06:49am

Member No: #1
I assume you mean a 'battery conditioner'?

I use a CTEK - Click Here - on the Traction over the winter. Follow the link to read what it does and how it works.

No reason why you can't couple it to the terminals in the engine bay if that's more convenient to access than the actual battery.

It comes with a set of leads you can leave permanently wired in and just plug it into the charging lead when you need to.
Website
blackhatphil   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 08:30am
C6Dave wrote ...

I assume you mean a 'battery conditioner'?

I use a CTEK - Click Here - on the Traction over the winter. Follow the link to read what it does and how it works.

No reason why you can't couple it to the terminals in the engine bay if that's more convenient to access than the actual battery.

It comes with a set of leads you can leave permanently wired in and just plug it into the charging lead when you need to.

Thanks Dave, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for to keep the battery topped-up over the winter.
Many thanks indeed!
If I were to connect it to the battery, as opposed to under the bonnet, would you happen to know to which terminals I would connect it? If I recall, the C6 battery doesn't simply have a single +ve and -ve terminal - there seemed to be at least half a dozen, last time I looked!
e3steve   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 10:23pm
Member No: #1163
The battery has just a positive (forward end, under the red snap-lid) and a negative (aft end; it has a green, lift-up latch).

What on Earth (no pun!) makes you think it has more terminals other than those??!
gmerry   
Fri Jul 11 2014, 02:45pm
Member No: #21
Hi Steve, I think the poster is referring to the fusebox that sits atop the battery - definitely not part of the battery though.

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club