C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

12V in driver's footwell

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Jodyone   
Wed May 14 2014, 08:17pm
Member No: #1240
I recently bought a 2nd hand USB box, because the iPod integration in my car has always been woeful. After experimenting, I think the best way for me to use it is simply for its aux socket. I need to get music from an iPhone 5S which is mounted on a Proclip cradle over the central air vents, and I'm using a bluetooth receiver (Kinovo), plugged into the aux.

It seems dramatic to use the USB box simply for the aux socket, when there's already aux in the glovebox, but the sound quality and volume is vastly better, well worth it. I have an old iPod which could I plug in, but the RT3 system in my car doesn't display track info, and it's redundant anyway: everything I'd want to play is streamable from my iPhone- so I''m happy.

Except, it needs tidying up. I don't need access to the USB box, so it can be hidden behind the dash. However, I do need access to the Bluetooth thing which is mounted discreetly- probably down next to the handbrake button. Also the bluetooth thing needs power, and so does the iPhone. I currently have the power cables plugged into usb adapters in the cigar lighter sockets and routed under the carpets- it's fine and pretty hidden, but i'd rather something even less obtrusive.

I'm thinking the best place for everything is in the drivers footwell, tucked in underneath the steering wheel. To do this, I need to get 2 cigar lighter usb sockets powered under there, and turning off with the ignition. I'm highly disinclined to mess with the CAN bus in this car..

So, to finish a tediously long essay (sorry!), does anybody know of a safe 12V source under the steering wheel, that switches off with the ignition, that I can run 2 low power chargers (or one 2 way cigar lighter adapter) into?
magicands   
Fri May 16 2014, 03:50pm
Member No: #1021
I want to install a standard Cigar lighter in my 6 down by the steering wheel so I can plug my Belkin FM receiver into it as the Citroen sockets are just a joke and you need an extension to get anything to work in them or simply fit.
I not the only standard 12v supply is in the boot...why didn't they use this socket throughout??
Can't help with your problem I'm afraid but like you I have concerns messing with electrical supplies, more so as my 6 already has electrical issues with the ashtry lamp and sport/suspension illumination....or lack thereof!!
Website
Jodyone   
Fri May 16 2014, 08:33pm
Member No: #1240
Well I'm going to get in there with a multimeter this weekend and have a look. I guess I could run a feed from the glovebox light on the other side, if I can squeeze my fingers in and don't mind losing a bit more knuckle skin... it's pretty cramped behind a C6 dash.

I'm not sure where you could fit a lighter socket, without cutting holes in things (I assume you don't want to do that!) I guess there must be a trim fixing there somewhere that you could attach a fabricated bracket to, or something like that. I'll keep an eye out for obvious places! I'm hoping to hide everything behind the trim, just with the audio and power cables emerging.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club