Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 and Michelin Tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 12 2010, 08:24am

Member No: #1
The main problems seem to be at speeds that most won't be doing unless they are on an autobahn, at normal driving levels there isn't an issue, I just got an opportunity to have a bit of a test
Website
DaveB   
Mon Jul 19 2010, 08:58pm
Member No: #17
Hi Dave its been a while since my last post on this very subject. Its interesting seeing your tyre pictures. I would say that all four of my tyres were in this condition. I'll attach my pictures if it's of any use to the cause.

Not sure how to link this to my other post where you asked for more info on the tyre claim procedure - but this is looks like the better place to answer the question.

Firstly I took my car in to get the tyres assessed by a reputable tyre fitting company. They agreed/concluded that all four tyres were showing signs of premature aging (being less than 5 years old).

In order to proceed with the claim I had to effectively send the tyres to Michelin for them to inspect and consider what if any claim settlement they should offer. In order to do this I had to buy/fit a new set of tyres (which could be any make) and if Michelin were to offer a settlement it was to be reimbursed as a percentage of the price of the new set fitted. So you can't effectively get a free set of tyres by opting for the cheapest new set.

The tyre fitting company have specific forms to fill in - one for each tyre. Each tyre is treated as a separate case/claim. The tyre fitting company send off the tyres and all is done through them. I spoke to two fifferent tyre fitting companies and both have the same procedure. Oh and I was told Michelin take about 8 weeks to come back to you - and they were right.

As I put in my other posting - the compensation offered averaged out at 50% off the complete new set which equated to what they felt was left on the tread.

I opted for the ZE912's and am still pleased with them several 1000 miles later. Not noticed any booming noise - is it very noticeable in your car C6Dave?. I'll certainly listen out and try some different speed/road surface combinations(sad I know)
tonyrome   
Mon Jul 19 2010, 10:13pm
Member No: #15
DaveB wrote ...
They agreed/concluded that all four tyres were showing signs of premature aging (being less than 5 years old).

I wouldn't say 5 years represents 'premature' ageing with regard to tyres! Even at average mileage, that timescale would be equivalent to at least 60,000 miles. I'd expect to replace tyres well within that time, to be honest, so I'm rather surprised you got away with this.

DaveB wrote ...
I opted for the ZE912's and am still pleased with them several 1000 miles later. Not noticed any booming noise - is it very noticeable in your car C6Dave?. I'll certainly listen out and try some different speed/road surface combinations

Can you find a quiet area where you can test them at 130mph for me?
DaveB   
Thu Jul 22 2010, 08:53pm
Not sure if I've been clear but the tyres were not much more than 4 years old and they should not have shown signs of ageing (cracking - tyre structure breakdown). These tyres were not just a little aged it was very alarming to see the extent of the problem when the tyres were taken off the wheels. Tyre wear is something entirely different.

As you say - if the car was doing business/or the like miles they would have been replaced due to wear so would not have got to 5 years. Looking at the forum I fear this problem might be quite a common thing possibly due to the nature/patern of typical ownership. I have to say though that I have never seen anything like it before, certainly to this extent.
C6Dave   
Thu Jul 22 2010, 10:24pm

I looked at quite a few C6's with Michelins on on Sunday at CCC and it wasn't apparent on most of them

1 car had done 27,000 miles with the original tyres still on the rear and they were fine.
Website
tonyrome   
Fri Jul 23 2010, 10:12am
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
I looked at quite a few C6's with Michelins on on Sunday at CCC and it wasn't apparent on most of them. 1 car had done 27,000 miles with the original tyres still on the rear and they were fine.

Well, mine have done that as well and they still seem fine, nothing like the photos shown here. They will need replacing only when the tread has worn, not because of side wall issues. However, my car was registered and used by Citroen UK and therefore had some 'normal' use from the start. I suspect that the problem described is more to do with cars which have been sitting around in a dealer's overheated premises for years on end before being sold, rather than the Michelins themselves.

DaveB wrote ...
the tyres were not much more than 4 years old

Don't forget that, if your car was at a dealer for 2 years before being registered and sold, as some of these cars were, then the age of the tyres would actually be 6 years, not 4...
C6Dave   
Fri Jul 23 2010, 12:44pm

tonyrome wrote ...

DaveB wrote ...
the tyres were not much more than 4 years old

Don't forget that, if your car was at a dealer for 2 years before being registered and sold, as some of these cars were, then the age of the tyres would actually be 6 years, not 4...

Plus the tyres may have been manufactured by Michelin even earlier.

Anyone noticed a 'made on date' on a tyre?
Website
DaveB   
Fri Jul 23 2010, 09:20pm
I believe my car had spent much of its time stationary - it was a demo car with 11,500 miles on it when I got it (Jan 2010) and the garage I bought it from said the previous owner hardly put any miles on it at all. I was advised that if the tyres were over 5 years then the claim may be less likely to go through.

Tyres do come with a date stamp on them and I checked them before putting in claim. I've tried to attach a pic to this email showing the date stamp format. The first 2 digits represent the calender week and the second two the year.

C6Dave   
Fri Jul 23 2010, 09:36pm

Thanks for enlightening me. So March 2004 in the above example, I'll have to have a look at mine in the morning
Website
verycleverman   
Fri Jul 23 2010, 10:14pm
Member No: #65
DaveB wrote ...

The first 2 digits represent the calender week and the second two the year.

More likely to be third week in January, Dave!

Pete.
RichardKC6   
Fri Sep 24 2010, 07:48pm
Member No: #49

That's the "premature aging" my tyre showed at 11,000 miles last year; no compensation from Michelin. One of the major contributory factors to my absolute lack of respect for Citroën Birmingham & Citroën UK.
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 24 2010, 09:58pm

That's more like the tyre has hit a kerb or something hard as it's in one spot.

The wall has failed there and that is dangerous

The ageing cracks are normally apparent all around the tyre wall
Website
RichardKC6   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 02:51pm
Member No: #49
Mmmm, and I'd have agreed except I didn't hit any kerbs, and I've had the same failure (less pronounced, and keeping an eye on it) on the other side. No wheel damage at all, you'll notice.

Now it's possible Citroën Birmingham rammed the car into a kerb, they did scratch the rear bumper - but then I'd have expected them to fess up and replace the tyre when an issue became apparent. So regardless, I'm annoyed that I had to replace a tyre at 11,000 miles through no fault of my own.

It'll get new tyres soon enough at the front, and then I'll chill out some more if it's earning its keep. Anything I can do to make Citroën UK's customer service better (or more publically known to be dire) will happen though!
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 12:03pm

Well just an update on the Falkens. Tried to go shopping this morning in my wifes Pug 207cc which runs on Continentals and couldn't.

There was simply no traction on the 8" of snow and ice we have in our cul de sac so put the car back in the garage (with a struggle).

The driveway was cleared yesterday but the 4" of snow that fell last night froze, making things very tricky

The C6 running on the Falkens on the front (drive wheels) once I had thawed it out, even with an auto gearbox had no issues.

Whilst the Falkens are a summer tyre, they have performed well in the wet and today in the snow and ice and I didn't get stuck once (had the car in 'Snow Mode')

If this continues though, I may have to bite the bullet and join the 'Winter Tyre' brigade.

Website
C6Dave   
Tue May 17 2011, 02:04pm

Finally got around to changing the rear tyres today. The original Michelins still had plenty tread on but the tyre wall cracking appeared worse plus the rear nearside kept loosing air at the rate of .4/5 bar every 3 weeks or so.

Had another pair of Falken ZE 912 fitted and they are on all around the car now and would have done it sooner but they were hard to get a hold of due to a factory production problem

£260 for a pair, fully fitted at the door by eTyres.
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club