C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Locked Out - ABS Warning

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 12:52pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, I've had another episode of ABS/ESP/Handbrake warnings and as they have always disappeared after a few days on previous occasions, I was inclined to ignore them.

Except there appears to be a linkage with the automatic actuation of the central locking, so that the doors become locked without the car moving at a threshold speed. I was caught out by this one when defrosting the windows: engine running, me outside, doors completely locked. (Lucky it was at home and I had the spare physical key).

Regards
G
travlician   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 02:39pm
Member No: #350
Could be a dirty ABS sensor, they give false signals when dirty. The effect can sometimes be seen on the speedometer, giving an erratic reading (for a few moments) while the vehicle is stationary.
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 12:41pm

Member No: #38
Dropped my son at departures terminal 1 Dublin Airport this morning at 03.55. Hopped out, opened boot for his luggage, closed boot, said good luck and went to reopen the driver's door. Car was locked, keys in ignition, engine running. Luckily my son was within earshot to call him back to use his phone.

Mine was in the car. And lucky for him the car didn't lock before we got to the boot. After a few minutes the ABS warning lamp appeared on the dash.

At that hour of the morning, we're only 20 mins from the airport. My wife drove over with the spare keys. Problem solved......no! The car would not unlock with the remote or manually with the key.

At that point rang the AA for assistance who appeared fairly promptly in the guise of Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) vehicle assistance. The guy had a clever miniature air bag to force a gap on the driver's door glass. He did his best not to crack the glass. But he had to gap it slightly more for a reach tool to pull the inner door handle and unfortunately the glass cracked.

But he did get the door open and I couldn't fault him as he approached it with the intention of causing no damage. Such a relief to get in the car. It must have been idling for nearly 90 minutes. And no dpf warning! Have to find out now what sensor glitched. Have the auto door locking turned off for the moment.

Just thought I'd share that.

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 05:51pm

Member No: #1
Nightmare scenario Phil. Will make sure I always turn the engine off before retrieving anything from the boot!
Website
Tjensen   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 07:48pm
Member No: #954
What a drama ! I will stop leaving the car running or with keys inside !! But why could not the spare key work? Normally the physical key in driver's door would work (but set off the alarm)
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 08:23pm

Thanks Tjensen,

I thought the spare key would be the solution but presumably not because ignition was on with engine running and doors locked. When I got home I tested the spare key and it worked perfectly!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Hattershaun   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 05:35am
Member No: #320
Sorry to hear this Phil.
Have you had any other instances with the doors locking themselves?
One of my previous C6 would lock the doors or it’s own accord, turned out the metal rods inside the door panel were stiff, from lack of use, and would pull on the locking mechanism causing the Central locking to activate.
321dave   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 07:44am
Member No: #614
Sorry to hear that you are having issues like that Phil! Very strange! But if anyone can get to the bottom of that very strange anomaly you can for sure.

If you need any help just drop me a pm. My battery recently was very flat after the holiday period and as I went to open the car the door mirror motors just literally died in the middle of opening and car started clicking and lights flashing as it was starved by a very flat battery. Smart charger had it at 60% rating when I starting charging. Oh and during its little fit, the boot remained locked and wouldn't open then as it went really flat and the relay clicking stopped the boot would release then!

Was wondering we're in the 2.7 or 3.0?

cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 06:22pm

Thanks lads,

I reckon it was an ABS sensor that suddenly decided to create a speed input which activated the auto locking. As I said the ABS fault light appeared on the dash soon after. Although since then it has not reappeared! I remember a year or two ago when the rear right ABS sensor was dying and seeing the speedo clock up a few kph when the car was stationary and trying to activate the locking, but I had the driver's door open. But at that time I was getting regular ABS warnings and I eventually changed the sensor. I suppose the lesson for me is not to leave the car running with the doors closed or at least have a window open. I don't want to disable the auto locking long term because of its security benefits.

321Dave - it was the 2.7.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club