MOT Test Results

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
verycleverman   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:34am
Member No: #65
Trainman wrote ...

Mine passed yesterday, however they did notice a "slight leak from the FNS suspension leg" and have recommend that it be replaced.

Mine just passed yesterday. However, two advisories. 1st being the same leak as above, "we'll look at replacing it on the next service" and 2nd the rear brake pads are 70% worn; at bit of a miracle, actually, as they were "75% worn" on the last MOT, 12 months and 12000 miles ago. At this rate they will be back to full thickness by the time I scrap the car!

Pete.
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 03 2011, 06:32am

Member No: #1
Well the forthcoming changes to the MOT test look like making things a lot tougher

Hamilton wrote ...

Here is the latest MOT 2012 Information....

Grabbed this from another brand of car forum....
QUOTE "

Copied from UKFN (ANDY G) mot tester for ford

Tonight I attended what is known as an MOT seminar, basically the head honchos from VOSA go to each area, and talk about the MOT scheme, including changes to the test.

As I said in the thread about the new EU directive, as soon as I knew what was changing in the MOT test I would post it up. These changes are to be brought into the test on 1st January 2012, not before. So here goes...

Steering lock operation - Steering locks not engaging when the ignition key is removed will fail.

Engine warning lamps, brake fluid warning lamps, ESP lamps, EPB lamps illumination - ANY of the above illuminated indicating a fault will fail.

TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring systems) warning lamps - Again, if illuminated indicating a fault, will fail.

Airbag/SRS lamp illumination - If this warning lamp is illuminated it will fail.

HID Headlamps - Now, a little grey area here. They will be included in the new test, and will fail if they prove to be outside of the specified conditions... but the conditions and reasons for rejections haven't been written/decided yet, so sit tight.

Wiring - Any wiring (loomed or otherwise) that is damaged, or fitted in such a way that could cause damage to said wiring, or other systems will fail.

Engine mountings - Engine mountings will be a part of the test. incorrect mounting, corrosion in a prescribed area etc will fail.

PAS (Power assisted steering) fluid level will be tested.

Rear doors must open in the new test. Previously (and currently), if the tester feels he can access the testable items in the rear (seatbelts, prescribed areas etc) without needing the doors open, they don't need to open. This will now be a failure.

13 pin towbar sockets - tested for correct operation using a plug in testing tool.

Inappropriate modifications or repairs - The wording on this is quite vague at the moment, but if a major component has been modified, and that modification/repair makes the vehicle dangerous or seriously weakens the original component, expect it to fail.

ANY ball joint dust cover - The small rubber boots over ball joints must be intact and free or splits, tears or holes, or it fails.

All CVJ gaiters will be tested - Currently, only the front outer] CVJ gaiters are tested. This new rule extends it to inner and outer, front and rear.

A catalytic converter missing WILL be a reason for failure, regardless of whether or not the emissions limits are met.

Fuel pipe chaffing or damage - Currently they only fail when they are leaking, this rule means that any chaffing or rubbing causing damage will fail.

The braking imbalance limit is lowered to 30% across all axles.

Vehicles built post July 2010 will have to have at least 58% braking efficiency to pass (currently it's 50% for a dual circuit braking system)

Insecure batteries will become a failure

The main beam warning lamp must illuminate with the main beam lamps

All light switches must operate the corresponding lights immediately. No tapping, or wiggling to make it work!

Remember, these changes will all be brought into testing starting from the 1st January 2012. The exact wording of each failure has yet to be released, but the above list is what was presented to us earlier this evening. I've posted all I know currently, so unfortunately I can't help with any questions . "

Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club