C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

MOT Test Results

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Trainman   
Mon Jul 12 2010, 10:01am

Member No: #86
Had a phone call this morning to say that Citroen will now replace the suspension leg under warranty

so booked in for later this week.
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 12 2010, 10:38am

Member No: #1
Nice result, although if your given a 12 month warranty on the car I don't know why it was rejected at first.

Is there anything in the documentation you got when you bought the car to say there was a restriction on certain items?

I have checked and don't appear to have been given a copy of the Citroen Approved Warranty conditions.
Website
Trainman   
Mon Jul 12 2010, 10:51am

Dave, apparently it is covered because it's hydroactive, it would seem there was some confusion with the people in the warranty dept at Slough.

Had it been, say a new shape C5 with non-hydroactive suspension then they are only covered to 36,000 miles.

As for the terms and conditions, I only have what's printed on the back of the agreement.
David Hallworth   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 11:31am

Member No: #90
Mine didn't exactly pass with flying colours if I'm being honest.

I got 4 advisories:

BOTH front Track Rods are showing signs of wear. (Track rods, not track rod ends).
Front brake discs are corroded.
Front brake imbalance.

My MOT was on the final day of warranty so I rang Cit Glasgow who said no as it expired that day. I rang Cit UK who advised that the problem was due to Glasgow Cit not detecting this when it was in and health checked. They insisted that Glasgow replaced all of these components and paid for it themselves.

Unfortunately though, it has now taken them 4 attempts to get the tracking right on the car and it's still wrong. Glasgow Cit however don't do tracking. Every time I take it back I watch them drive it to ATS Euromaster to have the tracking redone on it.

Needing track rods at 25k miles is disgusting to be honest.

David.
michaelb   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 12:20pm
Member No: #14
David Hallworth wrote ...

Unfortunately though, it has now taken them 4 attempts to get the tracking right on the car and it's still wrong. Glasgow Cit however don't do tracking. Every time I take it back I watch them drive it to ATS Euromaster to have the tracking redone on it.

Citroën Slough have failed twice to set my tracking correctly. It is pulling to the left and I was hoping it might be more down to the crown on the road and my imagination but yesterday was my first time on Continental roads since their failure and it is still pulling markedly to the left. Good for going around left hand bends! Maybe, being a French car, it's trying to make a political statement.

Track rods at 25,000 miles is not good. I will be having mine checked before my warranty expires in September.

As I doubt Slough can do any better on a third attempt I wonder should I visit a French dealer. What is the mechanism for having warranty work done outside of the country of purchase?
tonyrome   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 12:22pm
Member No: #15
Needing track rods at 25k miles is disgusting to be honest.

Yes, that's a shocker!
David Hallworth   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 01:21pm

Member No: #90
What is more irritating is I took mine in last week to Cit Glasgow and it was apparently road tested by their quality control technician.

Within 20 minutes of collecting the car on my way home from work I noticed it was still wrong.

If I hold the wheel at midnight it dives off to the right, to keep it straight I need to hold it at 3 minutes to 12 position.

It's incredibly irritating.

I'm also going to speak to Cit UK about these LDS pipes bursting just outside of the warranty as well.

David.
gmerry   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 01:39pm
Member No: #21
David as you say, not track rod ends but track rods themselves.

Is this the inner ball joints on the track rods? Is so, I would have thought the steering rack needs to come out to replace them. Or in many cases replace the steering rack.

Actually, I havn't heard of a car that needed new tracks rods except for very high mileage, extreme old age.

Regards
G
michaelb   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 05:01pm

If I hold the wheel at midnight it dives off to the right, to keep it straight I need to hold it at 3 minutes to 12 position.

David, that sounds exactly like mine except mine is to the left. Keeping it straight on a straight road I have the wheel canted around 5° to the right. And I had a technician from Slough in the car, on a test drive, and showed this to him. He told me they had double checked all the geometry, it was all correct and there was nothing more they could do for me.

verycleverman   
Tue Jul 13 2010, 08:29pm
Member No: #65
michaelb wrote ...

As I doubt Slough can do any better on a third attempt I wonder should I visit a French dealer. What is the mechanism for having warranty work done outside of the country of purchase?

Possibly not as daunting as you may think. I previously had a C5 3.0i V6 with the early, dodgy pencil coils. One failed on the way back from Austria, in Perpignan, and I had to use the local dealership.

One of the advantages of the factory fitted sat nav, incidentally, is the ability to zoom out until you see a Citroen symbol - then follow the map to the dealer. I digress.

The workshop was closed because it was one of France's obscure religious holidays - so the next day I had them look at the problem. Despite me telling them what the problem was, they insisted on sending to Marseilles for a new computer, (the problem was exacerbated by a 'airbag' warning - another common C5 fault), and, as a consequence, it was late afternoon by the time I got away from there.

I had already phoned Citroen Sale for assurance that they would cover the cost. In the end I got a refund of the cost of replacing the coil, but not the time diagnosing the airbag fault - 2 hours labour. I had already told them not to replace the computer.

I would suggest that you call Citroen UK from the dealership in France and tell them that you consider the car undriveable, that you intend to have the tracking sorted and that you expect them to re-imburse you.

Good luck,

Pete.

Trainman   
Thu Jul 15 2010, 07:24pm

The car went in this morning for the suspension leg, just a 'heads up' there are £350.00 + VAT + 2.1 hours fitting = the best part of £500.00
michaelb   
Thu Jul 15 2010, 07:48pm
Trainman wrote ...

The car went in this morning for the suspension leg, just a 'heads up' there are £350.00 + VAT + 2.1 hours fitting = the best part of £500.00

I'm not surprised that's the cost but how the hell can a leak cost £500? Surely the part which seals one part against another is a 10p washer, or gasket.
Dave Mc   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 07:14pm
Member No: #64
Mine passed it's MOT today. No Advisory notices and no cost. I get the MOT free as long as I own the car and have it serviced at Citroen.

Only got 44917 on the clock and done under 6k last year.

Happy bunny!!
drummond   
Fri Feb 11 2011, 08:17am
Member No: #238
The warranty is for Europe, Michael, and in theory should cover you. I am not sure with "aftermarket" (ie 2nd hand/over 3 years) covers, which might not- depends on the warranty.

I would be inclined to get the French dealer's quote in writing and his confirmation that the warranty applies! Citroen dealers are few and far between in France, the days when every village had one are sadly gone.
gmerry   
Fri Feb 18 2011, 09:32am
Member No: #21
Doug, have you figured out an "easy" way of checking the LDS fluid level. I would have thought a reasonably owner thing would be to check the suspension fluid say every 3 months - same as checking coolant level and oil level by the dipstick. Esspecially if the suspension legs have a habit of leaking fluid.

As far as I know, the only way to check the LDAS level is to force a depressurisation via Lexia so that all the fluid returns to the reservoir. Hardly a user friendly routine?

Regards
G
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club