C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Leaking Boot

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
JP   
Fri Jan 03 2014, 02:31pm
Member No: #1535
I have a 2008 exclusive with a leaking boot. Seal seems to be intact, but water collects around the boot locking point, and then runs into the spare wheel well. 1" water found over Christmas. I know it's rained heavily, but assume this shouldn't happen?

Suggestions / solutions welcome.

Thanks in advance,

J
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 03 2014, 04:25pm

Member No: #1
Never noticed any issue with both 6's that I have had and it's always difficult to track down leaks.

Easy option is to drill a hole in the bottom of the wheel well to let it drain away............
Website
smihaialex   
Fri Jan 03 2014, 07:58pm
Member No: #1031
Great idea Dave! In fact, earlier cars had that hole drilled from factory - I bet your Merc has it

Just make sure not to drill through the fuel tank )

Sam
e3steve   
Sat Jan 04 2014, 01:34am
Member No: #1163
Most vehicles with a spare wheel well have a 'valve'-type drain grommet in the lowest point of the boot pan. Either that or there should be a plastic plug that can be popped out and left out until the source is located.

I'd say a good start point would be a close inspection of the rear deflector drain tubes, the access to which requires the removal of the boot lid liner.
darrell   
Thu Feb 13 2014, 07:52pm
Member No: #699
I've got a wet boot, I have removed the boot lid liner (which was sodden on the inside) and checked the drain tubes, they are clear. I wonder if there is crud in the spoiler well, meaning that water cannot make it to the drain tubes, and is so seeping through elsewhere?

Next step will be a watering can to identify exactly the point of ingress. How easy is it to remove the spoiler assembly for inspection/cleaning?
Hattershaun   
Fri Feb 14 2014, 06:47am
Member No: #320
It could be the rear screen has a leak due to poor sealing - I've heard of this on another C6.
Eric   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 05:05pm
Member No: #425
Hello Guys, Has anyone found the root cause of the damp patch around the rear boot lock? I opened my boot today after the heavy Christmas weather and found it all wet. I will be checking the spare wheel well next to see how much water has got in.

Cheers, Eric.
Ciaran   
Tue Jan 09 2018, 03:47pm
Member No: #3087
I wouldn't be leaving it too long before checking how much water is in the spare wheel well, due to the ECU for the parking sensors being located in there, a real design masterstroke.

Anyway, if you don't want dead sensors, check and make sure the well hasn't filled up...

JH   
Sat Dec 03 2022, 05:51pm
Member No: #4871
Posting this as it may help someone else. Have had problems with water getting into boot ever since acquiring car. I wrapped polythene around the bootlid and completely encased it, thinking it may be due to the deflector leaking. Water still entering boot. Water seemed to be coming in near the black electronics box on the right hand side in the bootwell.

Having now dismantled the covers around the bracket for the cd changer (no changer fitted) it turned out that the whole bracket area was like a swimming pool! All the felts and sound deadening material absolutely water logged.

On close inspection, I discovered a 4cm split in the bodywork where the bumper bracket seems to be bolted on. On removing the right hand rear light cluster it was plain to see the split. The split was right on the path of the water drain channel around the boot lid. I am not sure if water from here should be able to pass under the light cluster, it does not seem a good idea to me. Anyway I have closed the split up and applied body sealant to both sides of the split area and am hoping this will solve my water ingress.

Below - right hand light cluster removed and close up image of split. I am wondering if this is a weak point where the bumper bracket is or just a sign of a fairly major bump at some point ?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club