C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Where to buy replacement Xenon bulbs?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Thu Dec 10 2009, 08:53pm
Member No: #14
This is the first car I've owned with Xenons. I've heard horror stories before about replacement bulb costs but I see there are quite a few resellers on eBay doing bulbs for C6s for around thirty squids a pair.

Are there any dos and don'ts in buying spare bulbs?

Is there a recommended supplier anyone knows about?
Foxmc   
Thu Dec 10 2009, 10:29pm
Member No: #2
The problem with those cheap bulbs is that they are often chinese HID kits, which lack in quality and reliability. I assume the bulb is the same as in the C4 so would be a D2S lamp. Can get them from the dealers (I assume this will not be your choice ), or from a specialized company (e.g Philips, Osram, etc). They will most likely be cheaper than at the dealers but still expensive. However, it is very unlikely to have a fault with a xenon lamp, as the factory fitted ones last very long!
michaelb   
Fri Dec 11 2009, 08:21am
foxmc wrote ...

However, it is very unlikely to have a fault with a xenon lamp, as the factory fitted ones last very long!

I like the sound of that

I've thrown a pair of spare halogen H4s in the boot - that will do to show any coppers in France I have spare bulbs. I hope.
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 11 2009, 09:50am

Member No: #1
The Xenon bulbs in the C6 are D2S

They are expensive from Citroen (£95.59 + VAT retail) but I can get a good discount on them which gets them down to £70.00 + Vat, but you will find them on eBay (copies) these days from around £20 so if you wanted to carry a 'spare' when abroad then that's not a bad option..

You will know though when one is failing as it will tend to go 'yellow' first.

However as foxmc said, they have a long life expectancy and it is rare to have one fail.

Citroen have been using them since the C5 (old style) was launched and my dealer contact confirms he has only ever had to supply a couple and none for a C4 or C6
Website
michaelb   
Fri Dec 11 2009, 01:07pm
Dave - that's reassuring, thanks.

It sounds like I only need them for showing to the Gendarmes, therefore my old spare H4s will do just fine
Foxmc   
Fri Dec 11 2009, 02:55pm
Member No: #2
Oh and just in case you ever go searching for xenon lamps, they are 4200k!
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 14 2009, 05:10pm

OK now got another source for the D2S in OEM Spec from Osram or Citroen

£42.50 each from xenonmaster
Website
tonyrome   
Wed Jan 06 2010, 11:38am
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
OK now got another source for the D2S in OEM Spec from Osram or Citroen. £42.50 each from xenonmaster

That's a very good price! I've read they can last up to 20,000 hrs which would mean over 10 years, even if used 5 hours a day every day of the year! So, unless you're unlucky, you shouldn't need to replace them for the life of the car.
michaelb   
Wed Jan 06 2010, 01:42pm
C6Dave wrote ...

OK now got another source for the D2S in OEM Spec from Osram or Citroen

£42.50 each from xenonmaster

Very useful information - thanks
michaelb   
Wed Jan 06 2010, 01:49pm
An English friend of mine, who lives in France, asked me once why one sees more cars driving around with blown bulbs in France than in any other country.

After ruminating on it for a few minutes we concluded it is actually because not having a spare bulb is an offence. Drivers are not afraid to be stopped for having a blown bulb because they can point to their bulb kit with smug pride but they are terrified of using their spare bulbs in case they are pulled in a random stop. The law of unintended consequences

There is also the added factor that Gendarmes probably never stop a car with blown bulbs because the obvious reply from the owner would be something like: "Oh, thanks for telling me. Luckily I have a complete spare bulb kit. Knowing nothing about cars I don't know where to start, would you do it for me please?"
blackhatphil   
Mon Sep 17 2012, 09:40pm
Member No: #882
C6Dave wrote ...

The Xenon bulbs in the C6 are D2S

However as foxmc said, they have a long life expectancy and it is rare to have one fail.

Citroen have been using them since the C5 (old style) was launched and my dealer contact confirms he has only ever had to supply a couple and none for a C4 or C6

Hi Dave. The nearside Xenon packed up on me today, and I have been trawling through the site looking for instructions on how to fit, as I too found them for sale at £42.50. But now you have made me wonder - if it is THAT rare for then to go, do I need to get it back into the dealer to determine cause?
I can say for certainty that in the last two weeks the headlamps have appeared to "flashing" as if one of them was cutting out for a second...

I have just last week paid the dealer well over a £100 to fit and supply a fuel filter to cure a "Depollution System Faulty" message and I am so very reluctant to give them any more money....

Cheers!

Phil
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 18 2012, 06:10am

No need to go to the dealer for investigation. Bulbs do fail I'm afraid.

You can change a Xenon one yourself, you just need to be careful. Someone did post a 'how to' but not sure if it was here or at C4owners though.......
Website
blackhatphil   
Tue Sep 18 2012, 08:29am
Member No: #882
C6Dave wrote ...

You can change a Xenon one yourself, you just need to be careful. Someone did post a 'how to' but not sure if it was here or at C4owners though.......

I finf this hard to believe but ..... I ordered two new bulbs last night (heeding the advice to change both together) and this morning my "failed" bulb was working. What on earth...?

I also looked under the bonnet to see how easy it might be to replace a bulb - I wouldn't know where to start! Does the whole unit need to come out? Has anyone on the forum had to replace one..?

I'd be grateful for any advice, hints and tips...
Trainman   
Tue Sep 18 2012, 10:30am

Member No: #86
If memory serves me right, the bulb has to be discharged before it's replaced, as it can give you one hell of a shock. I can't remeber the voltage/ampage but I recall it being alot

I'm not sure whether or not they can be discharged using a lexia, but I suspect they can (I've never needed to look).

Gobxoy   
Tue Sep 18 2012, 01:48pm
Member No: #786
blackhatphil wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

I finf this hard to believe but ..... I ordered two new bulbs last night (heeding the advice to change both together) and this morning my "failed" bulb was working. What on earth...?

I also looked under the bonnet to see how easy it might be to replace a bulb - I wouldn't know where to start! Does the whole unit need to come out? Has anyone on the forum had to replace one..?

I'd be grateful for any advice, hints and tips...

I think it may just be possible I have a damaged headlamp, and can take some pics it's quite involved so may take a day or two.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club