Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Nov 25 2013, 07:08pm

Member No: #1
smihaialex wrote ...

Awesome! I almost wanna do mine too now

Only problem is I can't find any stock of those particular bulbs and the UK supplier does not respond to e mails or eBay messages and his online 'shop' is empty.......
Website
smihaialex   
Mon Nov 25 2013, 09:15pm
Member No: #1031
Is there a particular standard that these bulbs adhere to or are they totally proprietary?!?

Thank you,
Sam
magicands   
Tue Nov 26 2013, 01:25pm
Member No: #1021
For information only, here are the lamp specs that myself and SPEEDFIX used:

Website
smihaialex   
Thu Nov 28 2013, 07:30pm
Are they the same as the blinkers (the sockets I mean, the base of the bulb)?!? If yes, I found tons on Amazon and Alibaba, including some with amber light for the front signal lights retailing for as low as 24$ a pair

Cheers,
Sam
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 29 2013, 08:04am

Yes, the bulb bases are the same Sam. Only downside to the 'Alibaba' ones is that they are invariably from Hong Kong or China and take circa 2 weeks to arrive and the 'quality' can be variable.
Website
magicands   
Fri Nov 29 2013, 11:29am
Not sure what happened to the eBay chap I purchased from Dave, he seems to have stopped trading, for the time being at least.
I have contacted a friend who works at Gaydon Landrover/Jaguar and asked for his help sourcing these lamps as he works on this department and the Range Rover lamps are the one's I have in my C6.
Website
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 29 2013, 01:00pm

magicands wrote ...

Not sure what happened to the eBay chap I purchased from Dave, he seems to have stopped trading, for the time being at least.

eBay have 'culled' quite a few business accounts for various reasons according to the e mail updates I get.

Forgot to say that a lot of the 'Alibaba' ones are not marked as 'Can Bus' friendly so anyone looking at the LED indicator lamps needs to be careful, plus I wouldn't know if the actual flasher unit will work with LED bulbs.

I know on older cars that you need to use a specific 'LED' type flasher unit if you switch the bulbs over as the standard ones don't work (I found out when I had the Morris Minor)
Website
smihaialex   
Fri Nov 29 2013, 07:10pm
Thanks for all of the above Dave! Much appreciated.

For the time being, I plan on keeping my Six as OEM a possible so I'm not feeling this switch to LED DRLs right now.

But if I do decide to play around a lil' bit, I will be sure to follow your advice when ordering the sets of bright white as well as amber CAN BUS friendly LED lamps, and post the result here.

What I did find out so far was that there seems to be a way of taking the bulb out of its base and then breaking or cutting off the 2 small clips that hold the bulb and the base together and inserting and glueing a LED capsule in the base instead of the regular bulb, as they both seem to use a G4 type of connection (some fellows did that for the Citroen C5 DRLs which share a similarly designed bulb - ours are HP15W and the C5's are HP24W, the only difference AFAIK being the wattage - 15W vs 24W).

Sam out.
Norman   
Thu Mar 26 2015, 08:23am
Member No: #364
Changed mine last night to leds next job is the side lights to change to leds is that easy or is it headlight + bumper off job also looking to Change the indicator bulbs to leds but I noticed that the hole the bulb goes in is smaller than drl hole so might be a problem.

Norman
Trainman   
Thu Apr 02 2015, 08:18am

Member No: #86
It's one of my jobs to do, Norman, I want to change the sidelight bulbs too for LED's but haven't looked properly yet, I wouldn't mind an old knack..... er......... broken headlight to play around with and find the correct bulb...
Norman   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 11:13am
Now changed the Indicator lamps for leds the bulb hole was too small as reported earlier so with a sharp knife i enlarged the hole very carefully until they fitted tightly.
i Also changer the rear position lamps for leds which went easily enough but when i tried to do the fronts on removing the bulbs i found they are orange coloured as against the rears which are white and also because they are white there is fitted a orange coloured piece of plastic which made the fitting of the white led impossible as there isn't enough depth so iv ordered some slightly shorter leds in orange and i will let you know what happens when they arrive,
now off to Spain for a weeks holiday. (also now i have a lexia setup for the C6, Trainman it was as you suspected the interface cable was U/s a replacment cured it)
magicands   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 05:34pm
Norman wrote ...

Now changed the Indicator lamps for leds the bulb hole was too small as reported earlier so with a sharp knife i enlarged the hole very carefully until they fitted tightly.
i Also changer the rear position lamps for leds which went easily enough but when i tried to do the fronts on removing the bulbs i found they are orange coloured as against the rears which are white and also because they are white there is fitted a orange coloured piece of plastic which made the fitting of the white led impossible as there isn't enough depth so iv ordered some slightly shorter leds in orange and i will let you know what happens when they arrive,
now off to Spain for a weeks holiday. (also now i have a lexia setup for the C6, Trainman it was as you suspected the interface cable was U/s a replacment cured it)

Did you take any photos of the process?
Website
Trainman   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 08:28am

Member No: #86
Norman wrote ...
(also now i have a lexia setup for the C6, Trainman it was as you suspected the interface cable was U/s a replacment cured it)

Thanks Norman good to know you're sorted now, enjoy the holiday and see you at the Northern next month. Oh and by the way, thanks for the updated lexia disc......

I replaced the 'marker' lights sometime ago with LED's but it was ages ago and I didn't like the look of them, I might try again as technology has moved on somewhat, I want to replace the ones above the headlight, but suspect I'm going to have t remove the bumper to do it

I'm off next week, so subject to the weather it's a job for then, when I do, I'll make sure I take plenty of picture and do a write up.
Norman   
Sat Apr 18 2015, 11:00am
No I didn't as it has been covered before so I printed out the thread, the trimmed out the indicator hole popped in the bulbs then refitted them.
The front position bulb replacments I'm informed by e-bay will be delivered next week so when I get back I'll see if they fit.
I tried to change the side lights to come on with the Dlr's but couldn't find in the menu where to change them so I printed out the complete menu options then came away on Holiday so will have a look when I get back.

Norman
Norman   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 11:40pm
Received the new Amber sidelight LEDs and changed them all except for the drivers side which I could not access it looks like I will have to move the lds tank somewhat to gain access.

Norman
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club