C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Dashboard vinyl restore

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
darrell   
Wed Aug 21 2013, 11:46pm
Member No: #699
There was a splodge of glue on the vinyl part of my dashboard, next to the instrument panel - eventually I managed to remove it, without damaging the vinyl, with Loctite superglue remover - after trying it in an invisible area on the door trim, I was pleasantly surprised that it had no effect on the vinyl at all, and after applying to the glue patch and leaving overnight, the glue just wiped away

However, where the glue used to be, the finish is slightly dull and faded (but the correct texture is still there so it wasn't melted away by the glue) and there are also scratch marks where someone in the past has tried to scrape the glue away. So, any ideas for something to buff up the vinyl finish (my dash is black) and hopefully fill in the scratches? I've seen a couple of things in Halfords - would you classify the dash finish as gloss or matt?

Thanks,
Darrell.
e3steve   
Thu Aug 22 2013, 07:13am
Member No: #1163
I'd say that the finish is neither gloss nor matt, Darrell. More likely it falls in the "satin" category, sometimes called an "eggshell" finish.

Try rubbing a water-based satin black paint (or emulsion) across the scratches and around the dulled area, using a microfibre cloth (or your fingers). Let it dry then dry buff the area with the cloth. If it doesn't look good then just use the cloth, after wringing out in very hot water, and rub along the scratches.

Nothing to lose, as water-based paint will break down and remove easily.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club