C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

HAND BRAKE FAULT

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
nb   
Tue Apr 16 2013, 09:29pm
Member No: #1149
Within a month of owning my C6 it developed a 'hand brake fault' according to the dash and prompting various brake warnings etc.
The brake half engages then automaticlly relaeases again and is now unusable.
It is electronic after all.
Its under warranty so may have it looked at but suspect this will be classified as wear and tear and land me with a large bill!
Already !!

Could it be that something needs lubricating or there is a simpler solution. Pad replacement, I dont know.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
travlician   
Wed Apr 17 2013, 02:59am
Member No: #350
First see if there are also ESP and ABS messages. The C6 is known to give these errors if something is wrong with an ABS sensor or the brake switch. The handbrake is then inoperable because there is either no way to safely disengage (brake switch, the same that controls the red brake lights at the rear) or the electronic brake can not get proper information about vehicle movement (ABS sensors).
C6Dave   
Wed Apr 17 2013, 06:15am

Member No: #1
I would look at the Brake Pedal Switch which on UK cars is in the passenger footwell.

I had the same issue on the lignage and changing the switch cured mine and it costs circa £30 for a replacement from Citroen.
Website
nb   
Wed Apr 17 2013, 08:32am
Member No: #1149
Thank you x2 -and yes, there are ABS and ESP errors.
Will try the brake switch option first - nb
gmerry   
Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:12am
Member No: #21
Hi, to replace the rear ABS cables, the rear exhaust and fuel tank has to be removed, so not an insignificiant job.

Don't let them fob you off with a wear and tear excuse.

Regards
G
magicands   
Wed May 01 2013, 05:21pm
Member No: #1021
gmerry wrote ...

Hi, to replace the rear ABS cables, the rear exhaust and fuel tank has to be removed, so not an insignificiant job.

Don't let them fob you off with a wear and tear excuse.

Regards
G

This was the problem I had back in September last year, mega expensive repair due to labour charges!!!

Website
travlician   
Thu May 02 2013, 12:45am
Member No: #350
I've had the ABS and ESP messages and got error messages from the rear ABS sensors about 3 times now. Every time I could solve the problem by cleaning the ABS sensors. Last time was due to grease leaking from the wheel bearing that might picked up a lot of dirt. So maybe cleaning them (I do this because parts take 3-4 weeks to arrive here) is good first try if it's not covered by guarantee.

However I must admit that getting the sensors out without damaging them is a tedious job.

As mentioned before, ABS and ESP warnings can also be caused by a faulty (usually intermittent) brake switch, Lexia will give a conclusive answer on that. Another indication is the cruise control, which will not work if there is a problem with the brake switch but does usually function if only a single ABS sensor is not functioning.
C6Pilot   
Mon May 06 2013, 08:21pm
Member No: #1068
Since I got it back end of last year my 2007 2.7 Lineage has displayed the same symptoms, a succession of warnings relating to ABS, handbrake and I forget the other one, after engine start. I figured this could wait until the service interval as everything worked fine. Last week however the warnings became more urgent including a large red STOP message. The power steering wouldn't work on the way to the dealership and at the dealership the handbrake would not engage.

Citroen sorted it all out under warranty with no drama. I am still thrilled to be driving this car. I enjoy any excuse to go somewhere. Since I got mine six months ago I have seen two other examples. I like that too.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club