C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

V6 engine rumours....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 05:59pm
Member No: #954
Mye local dealer informed me today that the manufacturer of the diesel V6 engines was on its way out of business, so some strategical service parts should be bought while thay are available. Is this true or almost true or totally wrong ?
C6Dave   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 06:12pm

Member No: #1
They have to provide spares for 10 years so don't rush in and buy parts you may never need.
Website
smihaialex   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 11:42pm
Member No: #1031
But what parts are we talking about here? What needs (might need) replacing in a V6 engine?

Thank you,
Sam
drummond   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 07:50am
Member No: #238
Don't worry, JLR (aka Tata) will buy them!
smihaialex   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 08:44am

Still, which parts of the engine would one consider replacing?!? The turbos?!? Injectors?!? Or what?!?

Thank you,
Sam
pclark   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 09:17am
Member No: #3
I thought the manufacturer was Ford at their engine plant at Dagenham which supplies most of the engines for European Ford (and some USA) vehicles so I don't think that's going out of business! Also the new Range Rover has just been launched with the 3.0 V6 engine.
gmerry   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 09:30am
Member No: #21
Hi all, while it is true that the 2.7 V6 engine is no longer fitted to any Ford, Jaguar, Landrover or PSA models, the supply of engines will continue as a spares.

I previously posted on an exclusive deal that had been signed between JLR and a UK based engine remanufacturer (look in the Lounge).

Many of the short block components are common with the LR fitments: LR owners expect to keep the vehicles in service for 20+ years so there should be pretty good market support via that route.

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:40am
I am not very worried. The 3,0 Hdi engine is a success in Rover and Jaguar, strange if it is going out of production. The dealer (in Bergen) told me that engine-related spares are not supplied directly from Citroen, so they depend on engine manufacturer for parts supply. He adviced me to buy cam belt/belt set and some oil filters. (Also brake pads and discs, but that is another supply chain). If these parts are only for the C6 3,0 Hdi I can understand the advice.
smihaialex   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 11:47am
Ahhh... My car is in shop today getting new cam belt kit, accessories (alternator) belt kit, new fuel filter (even though the old one was just a couple of months old), and new fluid for the 6-speed auto gearbox, so I don't need to worry about any of these for the next 5-10 years or so

As for the break pads, break discs and other more common parts, the official suppliers are ATE and TRW, which supply for lots and lots of car manufacturers, thus, there's no real danger of us running out of spare parts on this front

My only concern is regarding turbos or other more expensive and more exotic parts

Cheerios,
Sam
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 01:18pm

Member No: #1
Turbos are from Garrett, so doubt there going out of business soon......
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Feb 22 2013, 01:57pm
I have searched around a little- The "Lion" diesel engine series from Ford Dagenham (incl the PSA 2,7 and 3,0) seem to be well and in in continous production. BUT, Citroen may break the link due to top level shuffle of alliances.

From Autoline Daily we can read the following (no 863 april 2012)

FORD & PSA’S DIESEL DIVORCE

Ford and Peugeot-Citroen are ending their partnership for building larger diesel engines. The two have collaborated on diesels for the past 12 years, but now say they will independently develop and build diesel engines larger than 2.0-liters. The decision will not have an impact on current production.

According to Bloomberg, Peugeot says the move is NOT related to its new partnership with General Motors.

Yeah, like we believe that!

So, my local dealer have a point and it may be true that the V6 engine alternatives are out of the Citroen price lists (C5) and that this speeded up the death of the C6.

But it makes the C6 Exclusive even more exclusive ! (and most parts will probably still be around, with some nervousness around the PSA specific parts like enginge computer etc)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club