ESP ASR Fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
GreenBean   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 08:21pm
Member No: #434
Hi All,

I have a problem, the front wheels are making a very load creaking noise when reversing at full lock, and then the ESP ASR warnings is coming on intermittently. Steering also seems a bit odd. When the car at speed and lifts after a bump the steering seems to turn more.

Sounds expensive.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers Green Bean
ciao_chao   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 10:00pm
Member No: #518
Sounds like ball joints...

ESP/ASR/ABS fault is a common intermittent issue. Could be as simple as a dodgy connection to a speed sensor for one of the rear wheels, or could be a switch underneath the brake pedal.

Keep the car on the sat nav screen, when you switch it on, leave the car with just the electrics on for a couple of minutes and watch your sat nav. If your arrow or map spins wildly that will point to speed sensor issue.
cruiserphil   
Sun Feb 10 2013, 02:22pm

Member No: #38
GB,

Could it be a also be CV joint creaking? Do you get it at full lock moving away in forward?

Regards,

Phil C.
GreenBean   
Sun Feb 10 2013, 07:41pm
Yes I do get it pulling away, and occasionally on the move. Any ideas how much this might cost to fix?

Also the steering wheel has to be turned slightly to the left for Straight driving.
cruiserphil   
Mon Feb 11 2013, 08:52am

Member No: #38
GB,

Not for repair in UK I'm afraid. You'll need to get it checked first as it could also be wishbone bushes or....?

Regards,

Phil C.
GreenBean   
Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:57am
The plot thickens, it is all very strange.

Earlier this week had a bit of snow and since I turned the steering on the low friction snow, all has been well.

No noises at all and the steering straighter. This was not enough to satisfy me that all is well, so I took it to the local garage who got it on a ramp and they can see noting wrong, no give at all.

Dont get it.....
ChrisHunter   
Fri Feb 15 2013, 08:36pm
Member No: #188
very occasionally, we've had ours seem to pull to the left, while inching forward, waiting to turn right, at traffic lights ... otherwise, has always been fine ...
michaelb   
Sat Feb 16 2013, 06:18pm
Member No: #14
ChrisHunter wrote ...

very occasionally, we've had ours seem to pull to the left, while inching forward, waiting to turn right, at traffic lights ... otherwise, has always been fine ...

Mine always did this. I had Slough look at it in detail. They told me all geometry was within parameters. I insisted and I even took the chief technician for a ride, took my hands off the wheel and told him to watch it. He had to admit it was indeed pulling to the left - even on a completely level tarmac. I left it in with them again and two day's later they rang me and told me it was within parameters - nothing they could do.

It did it on winter tyres, summer tyres, new tyres, old tyres, wheels swapped around, wheels borrowed off another C6, everything.

Funnily enough your post reminds me that it did it mostly "inching forward" as you say. Very annoying.

I wonder has the current owner sorted it out because Slough never could.
ChrisHunter   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 12:25am
only occasionally in our case - could be because we only occasionally find ourselves inching-forward at a particular junction with its own particular mix of camber angles ...

the CX was particularly unaffected by camber variations - when we took one out for a test drive, years ago, there was a particular road somewhere in the Lake District that was straight but all over the place in terms of camber & twist, and driving at speed hands-off was perfectly possible - 'though, eventually, of course, gravity does win-out !

not sure how the steering & suspension geometries compare, between CX & C6 ...
Tjensen   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 05:40pm
Member No: #954
CX had real DIRAVI with no feedbeack between wheels and steering wheel under normal circumstances. And then added some artificial feeling of resistance. Worked extremely well. Same on SM (never tried) and XM V6 (less direct). C6 have only ordinary good power speed-sensitive steering. OK, but not CX class.
ChrisHunter   
Tue Feb 19 2013, 11:55am
interesting article here :

- Click Here -

wonder how the basic geometry varies - centre point steering on C6, or ...

and suspension ... the CX used to heave rather than pitch under power, and hunk-down ...

??

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club