Autumn Maintenance

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Tue Oct 16 2012, 08:28am
Member No: #21
Hi all, just an update - on the life of the old big Blue

Decided it needs a little going over, get the car all sorted for winter. Arrival of new c4 little cousin reminds me its no longer new!

To do. Driver's side ball - change out to a new SKF unit complete with grease nipple DONE. This time I've used Millers ACEA C2 Longlife which is full synthetic base (Previously I've used Total ACEA C2).While there, good look at rubber bushes on lower wishbone, all seem good. Front ride height sensors look very rusted up on their ball joints. Gave these a good dollup of grease to keep corrosion at bay and ensure they work nice and smoothly. Had a good look atb the coolant pipe that runs from the heater. Repair done back in 2010 still looks good.

Front Disks and PADS - ordered in the summer. Pads are down to about 5mm lining so good time to change as ball joint much easier job to do with disk removed. Disk on drivers side came off without any struggle. It seems that a thin squirt of Ferrosol prevents the disk welding itself via corrosion to the hub! Since I had false warnings last winter from the front pad wear sensors, the idea this time around is to use the Pagid brake grease which has no metallic particles.

While changing the front disks/pads, the other associated task is to replace the brake fluid. Will use Pagid Dot 4 this time around. Couldnt quite bring myself to spend the money on the ATE Blue (dye aids identification that all the old fluid has been flushed out). The brake was last changed in summer 2010 so definitely time for this chore.

Last task at the front end of the car is to replace the engine oil and filter. DONE. Never fails to remind me how filthy the oil gets even though it is only 6 months since the last change. Filter was replaced with an UFI unit, previously it was a MANN filter. On thing I changed from the last time this was done was to insert the filter cartridge into the engine, then screw the plastic housing down on top of the cartridge (rather than inserting the cartridge into the plastic housing and then screwing both into the engine). The little plastic protrusion complete with O ring then slots into a hole deep at the bottom of the oil filter housing. Final part of changing the oil was to replace the undertray. The quick release fasteners have a nasty habit of corroding and seizing in place so these were dunked in some oil and reinserted. I also noticed a little rusty scab on the bottom rear of the sump tray. This has been smeared with oil to prevent further corrosion. Next summer at next service it can get a proper paint repair.

Rear of car still needs a little attention.
On the to do list is sort out the intermittent ABS/Handbrake warning lights (apparently there is a faulty rear right ABS sensor or connector). This means tank out and exhaust to be removed - what a pain. The LDS connections in the middle of the car also need a little corrosion proofing - I'll probably squeeze in some Denso tape around these very exposed parts.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 16 2012, 09:11am

Member No: #1
Quite a comprehensive list there G

I put the 'winter grille screen' on the other day and am looking to get the tyres swapped for the winter set.

As the car is still under warranty it will go for a 3 year service in November and have a brake fluid change along with it's 1st MOT.
Website
gmerry   
Tue Oct 16 2012, 01:45pm
Hi Dave, yes there's more I could add. Winter wheels will be refitted complete with pressure sensors. I'm now an old hand at getting this system working. There was a thread saying the suspension setup can be selected to optimise around the 225/55R17s winters

Regards
G
gmerry   
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:00pm
Hi, not sure whether to post this here under autumn maintenance or under one of the posts on spheres.

I just meant to apply some Denso tape around the rear hydraulic connections, keep the evil effects of the salted Scottish roads at bay. I removed the plastic wind deflector that fits around the rear centre spheres, this is what I found. Decided I should really replace these corroded spheres, lucky had two sitting in the garage.

Sphere removal tool really earned its keep, these spheres were tight.

Anyway, all buttoned up, air bled out of the circuit and everything given a coating of grease to keep the corrosion at bay (this will be the car's 4th Scottish winter)

By the way, 90% certain these centre spheres were shot. Ride is now VERY smooth.

Regards
G

e3steve   
Sun Feb 14 2016, 10:28am
Member No: #1163
Quality work there, Gordon!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club