C6 Alternator belt squeak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 09:16pm
Member No: #82
Hi guys

My engine makes a really quiet barely noticeable rhythmic squeak at idle sometimes. When I took it for it's service they found a power steering pump leak and the squeaking seemed to stop but now I garage my car in the evening I can just about hear it in there. The garage noted on my advisory form last time that they would like to change the alternator belt to 'see if that sorts it'. Though I will likely go for a second opinion I wondered if its anything anyone here has any experience with.

It's not a big deal but I would like to have it looked at all the same; I need new rear disks anyway so might as well have both sorted simultaneously.

Cheers
P.s I still have 6 months warranty remaining but presumably the belt wouldn't be covered (isn't that always the case!) and my car has done 60K now,
datmbn   
Thu Mar 10 2011, 05:49am
Member No: #193
The crankshaft pulley are made of to parts put together to prevent vibrations and they are known to break sooner or later.

The first symptom is an barely hearable (canarie bird sound) next step is the pulley flexing causing the belt sometimes coming of on the inside of the pulley and push in under the cambelt and thats an scenario you don't want to have.

regards Mats
C6Dave   
Thu Mar 10 2011, 08:18am

Member No: #1
How many miles has the car covered now Ped?

I'm not sure if the alternator belts are made of the same material as the C4, but at 70K mine had started to get surface cracking so I changed it.
Website
Trainman   
Thu Mar 10 2011, 11:03am

Member No: #86
Ped wrote ...
my car has done 60K now,

Ped   
Wed Mar 16 2011, 05:05pm
OK She's booked in for Weds next week. I'm borrowing a DS3 in the mean time, which is now subject to a £12 a day charge. Used to be free...

I'll let you know what they say. Personally I think the power steering is part of the problem, so they will check that out too.

Cheers
ped
Cactus   
Tue Mar 22 2011, 04:45am
Member No: #373
I have the same problem like yours Ped with my C6 today. I'l ask the dealer mechanic to check it out when I had my timing belt change for next week plus some brake error message. Pls let us know what happen with yours after your service. Thanks
Ped   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 07:54pm
Hi

Well the car went in and they said the alternator belt was indeed in need of replacement, but also the alternator itself was making a whirring noise and was in need of swapping out.

Luckily my warranty will cover the work (they are trying to get the belt replaced under warranty too, arguing that the alternator may have caused its demise rather than my mileage)

They have ordered the parts and I'll be taking the car back to be sorted in a few days.

Very happy with Citroen Slough again, trouble free and great updates from the servicing department. They also wash my car every time I go which is a nice touch.

I'll update you all again when I have the job done.

ped
Ped   
Mon Apr 04 2011, 09:40pm
Car went in this evening for the work to be done tomorrow. Been given a C4 Picasso in the meantime... It's like driving a starship!

Cheers
ped
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 05 2011, 06:41am

Member No: #1
Are they going to change the water pump whilst it's apart?

Even if you have to pay for the part it would be a wise precaution.

A C4 member has just had one seize with consequential timing belt breakage and unknown internal engine damage
Website
C6Nikos   
Thu May 12 2011, 07:32pm
Member No: #132
Mine's got the same problem. I've put it into Chevronics in Hitchin and they've diagnosed a faulty alternator clutch. Apparently, it has a sort of free-wheel clutch which allows the rotor to continue spinning for a bit after the engine has stopped, thus reducing wear on the belt. This appears to be partially seized.

Apparently, Citroen want £400 for a replacement alternator ! Looks like I'll be going for an OEM part instead, at roughly half the price.
Ped   
Thu May 12 2011, 10:06pm
Hi guys

I don't think they did, no. All running fine so hopefully all is well. Let us know what happens with yours Nikos

ped
C6Nikos   
Sat May 14 2011, 09:51am
Member No: #132
They managed to unstick the clutch but the rear bearing was shot anyway so a new alternator required: £252.56 for an exchange unit.
bdeithrick   
Thu Jul 14 2011, 04:55pm
Member No: #70
mines gone too, crunching noise now, and hard grinding, now when looking at it it chewing itself to pieces, bits of metal fling from it, im on here looking for the pulley part number to order one ??? any one know ???, then i ship it to my alternator bosch man, to repair it brushes and bearings
cruiserphil   
Mon Jun 11 2012, 08:02pm

Member No: #38
Lads,

Just an update on alternator issues.

About 10 days ago herself had just set off for work and phoned me to report a battery charge fault on the display on the 07 car. So I told her to return home straight away. She was only 5 minutes from the house. Anyway, checked battery voltage with engine running and it was about 11V so no charging. I tracked down a replacement alternator which took about 5 days to arrive. Replaced it at the weekend and found that the clutch had failed on the alternator with a brown dust spread across the front of it. No noises or any giveaway signs beforehand.

One thing to watch is that if this warning comes up, because of the savage load on the battery, the available running time, if the alternator is not charging, is short - possibly 20 - 30 minutes in daylight. At the house, after sitting for a week, I had difficulty keeping the engine running even after charging the battery for 90 minutes to move it into the garage. To keep it running to raise the suspension, I had to connect a separate battery. So, if you're a distance from home, best thing is to find a good refuge and send up the flares.

The other point is that the car has 100,000kms on it now so is this a life issue for the clutch on the alternator? I am going to get the removed alternator serviced by my local auto electrical man and then fit a new clutch. I then intend to fit it to the 06 car as a preventative measure. With the uncertainty on battery life if you lose the alternator, I'm not keen on getting caught out. Needless to say, I'm not concerned about the alternator - just the clutch.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 07:11pm
Member No: #21
Phil, you probably have this sussed by now but here are some part numbers
Citroen 5705CJ/5705EJ is a 180 amp Bosch Alternator 0121715001

Univeral Rotating Electrics ltd in Basildon (tel 01268662210) lists this Alternator as UNA2303 and will do exchange or new outright and sell the pulley/clutch as a separate spare.ie thay have in stock

Reading their technical bulletins it appears failure of the clutch/pulley might indicate problems with the tensioner

Regards
G

PS, it appears to be a simple old skool alternator, internally regulated with NO canbus connection/control
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club