C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

When pulling away...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
James   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 01:31pm
Member No: #817
The accelerator handbrake combination works on my 2.2 (2008 build, 2010 registered) (tried it overnight) but I need to work on the technique as it's not smooth. I'm doing "push uncertainly, lift switch" which may be the problem
Gobxoy   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 05:32pm
Member No: #786
Read the hand book, ands says to release the parking brake...........

simultaneous operation of EPB and pressing accelerator

or
by pressing the foot brake. got that to work?????
C6Dave   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 06:51pm

Member No: #1
What by pressing the foot brake?

Yes that always works, press the foot brake and lift up the handbrake lever at the same time to release the parking brake
Website
James   
Fri Jul 13 2012, 12:01pm
Member No: #817
Gobxoy wrote ...

Read the hand book, ands says to release the parking brake...........

simultaneous operation of EPB and pressing accelerator

or
by pressing the foot brake. got that to work?????

To move off
With the engine running, release the electric parking brake, by pressing the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal and pulling then releasing the control

I think you might have a problem with and /or precedence

(pressing the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal) and pulling then releasing the control
not
pressing the brake pedal or (the accelerator pedal and pulling then releasing the control)

It also says
The gear lever can only be disengaged from position P if you are pressing the brake pedal.

Until this came up I always assumed it was foot brake only to release the hand brake.

I had a minor bump in C6 #1 because waiting on a hill I had my foot on the brake, and pulled the EPB a second time, then took my foot off the brake with the handbrake now dissengaged.

I still like the handbrake arrangement the XM had, even though you needed the footwork of Fred Astaire to do a hill start with a manual box

And I think I'm still going to use neutral at the lights even if is technically "wrong".
Gobxoy   
Fri Jul 13 2012, 09:54pm
Sorry guys, went and re-read the hand book, missed the last bit "and relase lever A"

C6Dave   
Sat Jul 14 2012, 12:53pm

Leo wrote ...

I read something similar about the auto box selecting neutral and it certainly feels as if there is no engine pull when stationary with the footbrake on - very different in my Merc 300GD Auto - when I select neutral in that at a set of traffic lights the engine revs. rise as the strain of pulling is released.

If the auto box selects 'neutral' then why does the dashboard indicator stay in drive?

When stopped on a hill in drive, foot brake on. Taking your foot off the brake should mean that the car rolls back, but it doesn't, it holds on the hill....

There is no engine note change, no car movement whilst it goes back into drive if it had decided by itself to go into neutral. That all means it's still in drive as far as far as I'm concerned.
Website
verycleverman   
Sat Jul 14 2012, 03:57pm
Member No: #65
C6Dave wrote ...

If the auto box selects 'neutral' then why does the dashboard indicator stay in drive?

The dashboard indicator will show the position of the gear selector, not the gearbox condition.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Sat Jul 14 2012, 05:07pm

It shows 'D' for drive so is still in drive mode.
Website
travlician   
Sun Jul 15 2012, 02:34am
Member No: #350
Tested today and can confirm that for a november 2006 (model 2007) C6 the parking brake will release with accelerator and parking brake control activation. Actually pretty good... Didn't know that.

About the Neutral / Drive discussion, in Drive mode (lever in D) and foot brake on for over 20 seconds at 0 speed causes the gearbox to no longer put torque on the wheels, it actually takes an annoying fraction of a second to get torque back on it (on slight hill: slight reverse and then creep forward after brake release).

At least that's my experience...
C6Dave   
Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:25am

Hmm, over 20 seconds, I'll try that out on mine to confirm

It would help explain some peoples comments about slow pick up when pulling out at junctions when they have been waiting for a gap in traffic.
Website
Gobxoy   
Sun Jul 15 2012, 09:18am
travlician

About the Neutral / Drive discussion, in Drive mode (lever in D) and foot brake on for over 20 seconds at 0 speed causes the gearbox to no longer put torque on the wheels,
brilliant explanation.

it actually takes an annoying fraction of a second to get torque back on it (on slight hill: slight reverse and then creep forward after brake release).
not noticed a delay? or perhaps not stationary for more that 20 secs in "D" foot on brake?

C6Dave I'll check this out.
Ped   
Sun Jul 15 2012, 02:12pm
Member No: #82
The handbrake technique also works in my '06. I'll practice using it.
Gobxoy   
Sun Jul 15 2012, 04:23pm
Hi

I checked mine out on a slight incline in "D" right foot on brake, released brake no throttle and no roll back. Just stayed put!

I don't think the tick over moved from the 650/700rpm, but will check next time I'm strating on an incline. (Essex) so not very often.

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club