C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

When pulling away...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 04:02pm
Member No: #82
I've noticed that when I'm at the lights, in neutral, when I put it into gear I tend to put my foot on the brake. What do you do? Just flip it into gear and give it some juice? I'm sure using the brake has no effect as by the time the car starts to creep my foot has left the brake anyway. It's just force of habit I think.

ped

P.s talking about an auto box
Chevrons   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 04:50pm
Member No: #85
Ped,

Why put it in neutral at the lights?

It's an automatic gearbox.
Ped   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 05:15pm
If I'm there for a while I tend to put it in neutral.

The question also applies for pulling away from neutral regardless of location.
C6Dave   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 06:34pm

Member No: #1
Chevrons wrote ...

Ped,

Why put it in neutral at the lights?

It's an automatic gearbox.

It may be but sitting at the lights for a long time means that the valves are by passing so heating up the fluid

Ideally it should be in neutral with the handbrake applied, not in drive with your foot on the brake.
Website
Ped   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 11:27pm
So what do you both do?
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 07:24am

Member No: #1
Both

Depends on how long the lights are going to be against me. 3-4 way temporary lights are the worst if you hit them as they just turn red, then it's out of drive and handbrake on for me

Ordinary traffic lights need a judgement call based on knowledge of the area and the usual length of time your sitting at red.
Website
drummond   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 10:22am
Member No: #238
I haven't used the handbrake since I was last on the ferry to France with it- about February?
Chevrons   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 10:29am
Member No: #85
Ped wrote ...

So what do you both do?

I put it 'Drive' and drive it; Never use neutral.
michaelb   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 11:17am
Member No: #14
I put my Alfa 166 into neutral because there was an unpleasant 'thrum' resonance when it was 'straining at the lease'.

I never put the C6 in neutral because there was little engine creep to fight, no noise and leaving it in Drive puts less wear on the gearbox. It probably burns a slight bit more diesel because you are counter-acting engine creep but that is a lot cheaper than rebuilding the gear selectors.

I always put my Quattroporte in neutral, even before I roll to a stop, because it reduces clutch wear. It being a robotised traditional clutch and gearbox.
cruiserphil   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 02:17pm

Member No: #38
Lads,

Re. Michael B.'s comment. I had an automatic XM diesel and I preferred to stand in neutral due to the resonance. The XM would strain at the lease (as Michael says) against the brake in drive and when you released the brake the car would immediately move forward. In the C6, I notice that if you release the footbrake immediately in drive, from a stand, there is a time lag before the car moves - like as if the converter is filling. When reading up on Aisin Warner transmissions, I remember seeing a reference to the box selecting neutral at a standstill with a brake input. Could it be that the converter drains in this situation. To me it certainly feels like the car is not trying to push against the brake and why I'm comfortable to leave it in drive when standing at traffic lights; something I felt was punishing the XM.

Regards,

Phil C.
Ped   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 07:53pm
Sorry guys not wondering weather you engage neutral or not but your pulling away procedure from neutral.
cruiserphil   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 08:27pm

Member No: #38
Sorry Ped,

If I do have car in neutral, when I engage drive I hold on footbrake and then release footbrake to control start from standstill.

Regards,

Phil C.
Ped   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 09:00pm
Thanks Phil. Me too!
ciao_chao   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 10:39pm
Member No: #518
Where predictable, I'll slot it into neutral and pre-emptively engage D/1 when I know they're about to change and ease off the brake, this allows the converter to fill and I'm ready to go when it's green. For example at controlled roundabouts, I'm watching the light reflected off the shade for the other direction rather than my own light.

Additionally, I try not to stop at lights at all, I hate all the faff of it, so if it's just turned red a long way away, I'm off the gas immediately. Usually that gives ample time for the lights to go green again. If it's still red, I'm naughty and tend to be creeping the car forward, so often I'll pull up a few feet behind the line and I'll be a few feet the other side of the line by the time it's green.
Leo   
Tue Jul 10 2012, 08:31am
Member No: #94
I agree with Phil C.

I read something similar about the auto box selecting neutral and it certainly feels as if there is no engine pull when stationary with the footbrake on - very different in my Merc 300GD Auto - when I select neutral in that at a set of traffic lights the engine revs. rise as the strain of pulling is released.

Leo
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club