Audio socket on Navidrive Exclusive RT4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
wiltscub   
Thu May 24 2012, 10:14pm
Member No: #886
Hi All,

I'm collecting my C6 tomorrow and have been reading the manual for the Navidrive. I'm confused about whether I can use the 3.5mm headphone cable I already have to connect my iPhone and/or Droid via the sockets in the glove box and listen to music. I know I won't have control, but at least I'll have easy access to all my music in one go without having to faff about with CDs, MP3s and USB sticks...
smorphet   
Thu May 24 2012, 11:13pm
Member No: #88
Yes, if your cable is 3.5mm to a pair of phono plugs, you can connect these to the red and white sockets in the glove box. (The yellow socket is for composite video).

Then, you need to select the 'aux' input on the Navidrive. This may, or may not, appear in the rotation when you press the 'SRC' selection button. CD, radio, jukebox, aux, etc. If it doesn't appear at first, press 'MENU' and there's an option to enable it in there somewhere.

If you're using the headphone output then you have two volume controls; one on the phone and one in the car. You'll have to find a setting on the phone that gives a useful range of control from the car.

Tomorrow morning? I bet you're excited! Please say hello to the folks at Sportif for me.

Steve.

wiltscub   
Fri May 25 2012, 06:51am
Thanks smorphet - unfortunately my cable is a 3.5 to 3.5 so won't work and I can't find my blank CDs - think they got dumped in my move last year as I hadn't used any for about 2 years!
It'll give me somewhere to drive the car to!
Picking it up this afternoon - no doubt the morning will drag interminably! Thankfully the weather promises to be superb for a last blast in the convertible.
Dapprman   
Fri May 25 2012, 08:48am
Member No: #710
wiltscub wrote ...

Thanks smorphet - unfortunately my cable is a 3.5 to 3.5 so won't work and I can't find my blank CDs - think they got dumped in my move last year as I hadn't used any for about 2 years!
It'll give me somewhere to drive the car to!
Picking it up this afternoon - no doubt the morning will drag interminably! Thankfully the weather promises to be superb for a last blast in the convertible.

Smile sweetly at Sportif - they might be able to get you a cable as an extra
wiltscub   
Fri May 25 2012, 08:55pm
I picked one up for £5 in ASDA - white and it slips out the glovebox and is perfect!
nevefresca   
Sat Jun 09 2012, 06:59am
Member No: #895
Hi all,

From a soon to be C6 owner:

I have now found out that my new C6 (to be delivered on 29th June) has been fitted with the RT4 Navidrive (without USB) and according to the brochure and as the C6 is a 2012 build, it should be the RT5 (with USB). I have gone back (via the agent) to Citroen UK and have asked them to fit a USB Box, in the glovebox, for free. I've yet to know their decision.

I have quoted the C6 Owners Club and everyones advice. What I would like to know, is, would it be better to have a USB Box fitted (hopefully free) rather than a USB socket fitted (hopefully free) below the armrest? Will this USB socket supply power to the iPod (as the USB Box does) and will I be able to control it through the steering wheel and radio controls, as normal? Or, is having the USB Box fitted, really unnecessary and would the USB socket on it's own, be adequate?

I am still not too clear, on the true functionality, that the two different devices have to offer. I hope you can help.

Also, I do have a USB Box fitted in the glovebox of my current C5. How difficult would it be, to remove this and fit it in the glovebox of the C6 (assuming Citroen will not fit one free in the C6)? Do you think I should remove it from the C5 anyway, as I have paid for it and are they interchangeable?

Many thanks and I hope someone might be able to help.
C6Dave   
Sat Jun 09 2012, 10:19am

Member No: #1
Yes remove it, it just plugs in to the back of the Head Unit and it will save the ost of another or you could sell it separately.

USB Box will power and charge an iPod but I don't know about the USB socket

Neither give great control over the device as for safety, you can't use the actual device controls once connected, you have to use the car ones.

The display is no where near as good as an MP3 Cd as you don't get scrolling track info, only short 8 digit descriptions (if I remember correctly)

Personally, I would push for RT5 to be retro fitted if that is what they have advertised the car to have installed.

Website
James   
Sun Jun 10 2012, 03:14pm
Member No: #817
nevefresca wrote ...

Hi all,

From a soon to be C6 owner:

I have now found out that my new C6 (to be delivered on 29th June) has been fitted with the RT4 Navidrive (without USB) and according to the brochure and as the C6 is a 2012 build, it should be the RT5 (with USB).

It's very unlikely that the car has an RT4 No-one has ever seen an C6 with an RT5 with a USB factory fitted. My RT4 has a USB connection (not from the factory).

nevefresca wrote ...

I have gone back (via the agent) to Citroen UK and have asked them to fit a USB Box, in the glovebox, for free. I've yet to know their decision.

You do not want a USB box with a Navdrive. You want them to fit the USB cable part number 6574 JH (and possibly replace the cigar lighter with another 6574 series item which brings the cable out neat, or run the cable to the glove box).

nevefresca wrote ...

I have quoted the C6 Owners Club and everyones advice. What I would like to know, is, would it be better to have a USB Box fitted (hopefully free) rather than a USB socket fitted (hopefully free) below the armrest?

No it isn't. The user interface on the USB box is dreadful. The USB Socket is a joy to use by comparison and you can upload music from a USB key to the jukebox (Hard disk inside the RT4/5) The USB box is an MP3/WMA/OGG player which pretends to one disk in CD autochanger.

nevefresca wrote ...

Will this USB socket supply power to the iPod (as the USB Box does)

All USB hosts can supply 5V @ 0.5A - some can do more. It depends how much current the device plugged in needs; most will shut down rather if the device tries to draw too much current but I haven't plugged my phone into the RT4.

nevefresca wrote ...

and will I be able to control it through the steering wheel and radio controls, as normal? Or, is having the USB Box fitted, really unnecessary and would the USB socket on it's own, be adequate?

Only an iPod docking station can control one and get music back. A plain USB connection doesn't make the car a docking station. You get full control of playback of music files read from USB memory, because the RT4/5 is playing them.

nevefresca wrote ...

I am still not too clear, on the true functionality, that the two different devices have to offer. I hope you can help.

I'm going to post a commplete guide to my experience getting the RT4 USB'd up - give me 24 - 48 hours.

nevefresca wrote ...

Also, I do have a USB Box fitted in the glovebox of my current C5. How difficult would it be, to remove this and fit it in the glovebox of the C6 (assuming Citroen will not fit one free in the C6)? Do you think I should remove it from the C5 anyway, as I have paid for it and are they interchangeable?

Should be easy to remove and it's applicable to many Peugeot / Citroen models so you should be able to resell it if you have no use for it.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club