C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Hollande vs. Sarko = DS5 vs. C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Bishop   
Wed May 16 2012, 12:10pm
Member No: #868
Just as a matter of amusement, or even bemusement, I have enjoyed the splurge of media interest regarding the new French President's choice of the DS5 as a "normal car for a normal President" to convey him throughout his inauguration yesterday. I bet Citröen are delighted with that positioning - millions of euros of marketing spend over a few years now in establishing the new DS line as something special, premium and desirable, blown in an instant.

Even more amusant was the fact that it was reported that Sarkozy left the Élysée Palace for the last time in a "luxurious" .... C6! To be noted as well is the reported cost of said C6 which was "at least €57,450". Which model would that be then? It sounds way more pricey than the Exclusive.

Don't get me wrong, I like the DS5's style, and wish in particular that some of the effort made with its interior had been lavished on the C6 (art deco door bins and TGV rear seat aside, it does not match the avantgarde exterior), but it came across to me as one in the eye for Citroen's marketing led attempt to try to replace the C6 with the DS5 as top of the range flagship (in the UK at least).
C6Dave   
Wed May 16 2012, 12:16pm

Member No: #1
Wonder why the didn't use the DS9/Metropolis?

Maybe as it's aimed at China and not Europe...........
Website
GTS   
Wed May 16 2012, 12:27pm
Member No: #242
I think actually it is probably more that he wanted something open top, and a DS5 with full length sunroof was the closest he could get...could have gone for a Peugeot 308CC or Renault Megane though...
gmerry   
Wed May 16 2012, 02:15pm
Member No: #21
I think Citroen were very pleased that the new president was seen in a model of the now and future (DS5) rather than of the past (C6 introduced in 2005). Just think of the huge boost to sales that will result.

In fact I suspect that Citroen were consulted and THEY suggested the DS5.

On a rather different note, do you think ex President S knew he was sitting on 7 spheres and new President H is aware he is sitting on none.

How do these models compare for bomb protection - no visible armour around the windows.
drummond   
Wed May 16 2012, 02:15pm
Member No: #238
I would have thought that he'd have gone for a fifth hand 2cv: at least the roof folds back...

58000 euros is right- about £45000. Britain might be the cheapest place to buy a car, now. And one does not get a discount. Secondhand, a C6 is approximately twice the UK price, in France, anyway.
pclark   
Wed May 16 2012, 02:23pm
Member No: #3
the DS9 or as it was called simply the '9' is a concept car only at this stage. Concept cars do have engines normally but will only drive at low speed for short distances to get them on and off show stands etc.and don't usually have functioning air con or dash instruments and are not road legal and as GTS said he needed something with an open top.

The price quoted by the French media is probably correct for a C6 exclusive in France (it was a lot more expensive than in the UK as I remember from looking on the Citroen France website a while ago.The presidential C6 would I assume be armour plated with bullet proof glass so would have cost the French tax payer over 100,000 Euro at least.
BruceB   
Wed May 16 2012, 03:47pm
Member No: #234
This is all rather missing the point. Since Hollande has used the DS5 as a sign of his intent to impose austerity from the top down, there could shortly be a glut (well, for low values of the word 'glut') of ministerial C6s hitting the second-hand market. If you don't mind driving a left-hooker, form an orderly queue.
James   
Wed May 16 2012, 03:59pm
Member No: #817
gmerry wrote ...

How do these models compare for bomb protection - no visible armour around the windows.

I did notice that Sarkozy's C6 didn't have the normal windows and they looked like bullet proof glass.

Didn't Chirac go to be sworn in in a vintage SM ?
What Hollande gets driven round in day to day will not be something he could choose the day after the election. It would need to be built in advance with the secure comms, protection etc a head of state needs.
Gobxoy   
Wed May 16 2012, 04:00pm
Member No: #786
any bright spark going to phone the english embassy to help them out.......... buy offering to purchase "FRA 1" sans the plate.
ciao_chao   
Wed May 16 2012, 09:40pm
Member No: #518
Actually you should all remember that for the same journey, Sarko travelled in a specially made 607 Landaulet.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club