C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery Life and Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Fri Apr 20 2012, 04:28pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, Orga number suggests car was built mid 2007 (but registered new late 2008) which makes the battery approaching 5 years old.

Should I just replace?

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Fri Apr 20 2012, 05:17pm

Member No: #1
Mine was built 06 and registered Sept 07 and the battery seems fine G (watch it fail tomorrow)

There isn't any time it should last and there are lots of factors which affect it.
Website
michaelb   
Sat Apr 21 2012, 09:14am
Member No: #14
With the massive demands modern cars put on batteries I think three years is an effective life for one, anything beyond that is a bonus.

Having said that my Ducati made ten years on its original battery with frequent flattenings through disuse over winters. I finally got around to replacing it and giving the replacement the benefit of a conditioner. Whenever the bike is in my garage it's plugged into the wall.
Ped   
Sat Apr 21 2012, 10:19am
Member No: #82
I'm right in thinking there are two in the C6, right?
C6Dave   
Sat Apr 21 2012, 10:47am

Ped wrote ...

I'm right in thinking there are two in the C6, right?

No, just the one in the boot, left hand side behind the cover.
Website
mark28   
Sat Apr 21 2012, 08:47pm
Member No: #102
The new Bentley has 3 1 main one and 2 back up to run all the gizmos when the car is parked. Owners are also reminded that after 2 weeks of non use the battery in likely to have died !!

gmerry   
Thu Apr 26 2012, 08:36am
Hi all, new battery ordered from Performance Batteries - Click Here -.

Their designation is Varta E11, same as OEM supplier, but improved cold cranking output now up to 680Amps. 4 years warranty. IMHO good value at £71 including VAT and delivery. By comparison dealer was quoting £200 plus fitting. I'll post on any quirks that arise in the fitting.

Regards
G
dsharples   
Thu Apr 26 2012, 10:39pm
Member No: #119
I don't want to concern anyone, but the PSA Orginal Battery in my 2.7HDI claims to be a 95Ah. This is larger than most of the "battery websites" seem to recommend... It is made by VB Europe.?
ChrisHunter   
Thu Apr 26 2012, 11:27pm
Member No: #188
batteries in our Citroëns have always lasted well ...

GS 1220 Estate - 94,000 miles / ten years, before died
GS 1220 Estate - 67,000 miles & still fine when car written-off
CX Athena - around 110,000 miles / five years & still fine
CX GTi Turbo II - poor starter, so replaced what it came-with with a Bosch 90Ah, which was still fine when we passed it on at something like 164,000 miles / fifteen years later
C5 - Y-reg, still fine when passed it on in 2008
C6 - 45,000 miles / five years & still fine ...
michaelb   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 07:29am
Member No: #14
dsharples wrote ...

I don't want to concern anyone, but the PSA Orginal Battery in my 2.7HDI claims to be a 95Ah. This is larger than most of the "battery websites" seem to recommend... It is made by VB Europe.?

I had the same issue when I needed to renew the battery in my Alfa 166. It was rated as something similar and several online providers and motor parts shops tried to tell me their charts recommended a 78Ah replacement. I eventually opted to pay more and order the right rating through an Alfa Indie - I feel it is worth having a decent battery in modern cars given all the demands on them.
gmerry   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 09:09am
Dave, official Varta Manufacturer's site (not battery sellers) shows the E12 battery, 680 Amps Cold Cranking and 72 amp hour as the rated battery for the 2.7 Diesel. Personally I take some comfort that Varta is the name on the original battery so they should know what the C6 requires.

Personally I'm not sure that the amp hour rating is the critical thing for a starting battery as the depth of discharge should in theory never be more than about 10% and the "economy mode" ensures that with engine off, electrical consumption is limited and well controlled.

In any case, the battery dimensions are fixed. I'm not aware that any reputable battery manufactuer is offering a starting type battery with amp hour capacity >90 within the fixed dimensions (exotic battery chemistries aside)
gmerry   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 06:42pm
Well, Battery arrived and DSharples appears to be correct.

Old battery dimensions are 353L x 190H x 175W. B13 type hold down, Type 1 terminals. Pole position 1. Any battery ordered to these physical /dimensional specifications will fit.
The actual original battery is a VARTA with a massive 950A. No Amphour capacity stated on the labels.

I've checked the various battery websites including Bosch and they all recommend much smaller batteries. Must be a systematic mistake.

The new battery is much smaller and only 680A CCA so will be a bit marginal.

Looking at the Varta battery search website, the largest capacity battery that will fit is designated H3 and is 100AHour and 830CCA. So this would possible be the best available replacement.

So hopefully my mistake will help point someone else in the right direction

Regards
G

Battery Search

Search for vehicles and technical data by VARTA short code
Looking for technical information about a battery? Please enter the VARTA short code (without spaces)- eg C22.

You can also enter just a part of the code (at least one character) plus an asterisk, e.g. C*.
Country

Article Number

600 402 083 3162
Product Line

SILVER dynamic
Voltage [V]12
Battery Capacity [Ah]100
Cold-test Current, EN [A]830
Length [mm]353
Width [mm]175
Height [mm]190
Hold-down Type B13
Pole Positions 0
Terminal Type 1
Short Code H3
Uk Nr.019

OE References: BMW, Daimler, GM-Group, Fiat Group, Ford Group, Opel, PSA, VW Group, ...

BENEFITS OF SILVER dynamic:

For vehicles with extremely high performance demands

Ideal for vehicles with a large number of electrical devices

High-end product

Perfect for use with diesel engines

PowerFrame® technology for a longer service life

- Click Here -

- Click Here -
C6Dave   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 07:04pm

Given the systems on board a C6 G, I personally would want the biggest capacity battery that will fit in the car so 100 AH sounds like a good idea.
Website
gmerry   
Wed May 02 2012, 09:07pm
Here's a photo side by side of new versus original battery.

I don't care if it doesn't meet the "spec" but I do know it fits and is the biggest Varta I could buy. H3 is the reference.

In terms of fitting, the boot base, rear trim and side trim have to be removed. A 10mm socket on a short extension is needed for the + termional. The negative terminal is a lever clamp. The battery clamp bar is a massive pressed piece of steel with two screws again 10mm hex.

Unusually there is a vent tube that needs to be plugged into one side of the battery.

While I was there I greased up 4 earth connectors and 4 off mega fuses and their connectors (they sit on top of the + terminal). There was some slight corrosion already present.

photos

Regards
G
pclark   
Thu May 03 2012, 08:09am
Member No: #3
A vent tube is necessary if, as on the C6 the battery is in the passenger compartment rather than under the bonnet. I remember my Xsara Picasso had a vent tube as the battery is under the passenger seat (right hand drive car).
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club