Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Does your car change the way you feel ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
James   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 11:08am
Member No: #817
I've been away for 3 weeks. I've done a lot of travelling for work over the years, much of it long haul, and the 35 hour journey home over Friday and Saturday was the worst travelling experience of my life. I was ill on Sunday (possibly as a result). I'm still recoving from Jet-lag. So a Monday morning commute to the office to run through a long list of client issues should provoke a fit of the screaming hab-dabs ... and yet ... and yet wafting along for 60 miles cossetted in the comfort of the C6 delivered me calm and serene.

There's enough power under your right toe to make you drive like a maniac, but it seems to me the 6 is a calming car. Or is that just me ?
mark28   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 11:47am
Member No: #102
Mine makes me feeling the following depending on how it is running.

Nervous
Angry
Happy

theguardian   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 12:52pm
Member No: #645
i second that
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 01:36pm

Member No: #1
Yes it relaxes me as well. I don't get uptight about what the other idiots out there are doing on the roads around me.

Just sit back and relax...........
Website
Dapprman   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 02:36pm
Member No: #710
I also feel like I could care less about the outside world and that I will arrive when I arrive and when I do it will be in a nonchalant manner.

The week before I got mine I started a new job that allowed my to drive to/from work. Part of it os a 50 mph stretch from Harefield to Ickenham/Uxbridge. Many cars just do 40 along it and there's no straight long enough to allow over-taking in anything slower than my modified RX7.

During my first week I was Mr. Angry with other drivers, after all the speed limit is clerly displayed and it's a driving test failure to go too slow (my home town one of the test routes purposely took you from a 30 to a 40 zone, if you did not speed up that was it ...)

The next week I was in the C6 and found myself in the same situation, but this time I realised I cared little at what speed the other cars were driven.
Extant   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 05:04pm
Member No: #317
C6Dave wrote ...

Yes it relaxes me as well. I don't get uptight about what the other idiots out there are doing on the roads around me.

Just sit back and relax...........

michaelb   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:54pm
Member No: #14
I've always said autoboxes should come with a 50% insurance discount. I discovered this relax-and-not-react-to-other-road-users phenomenon when I bought my first auto over fifteen years ago.

I know I'm a different driver behind the relaxing wheel of a C6 than I am driving a "stick shift", I just wish my insurance premium acknowledged that.
ciao_chao   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:31pm
Member No: #518
You should see the way Andrew drives!
Gobxoy   
Tue Apr 17 2012, 07:57am
Member No: #786
Hi

Mostly calming, but sure does go when you stick your toe down.

I still just can't seem to let (mostly Audis-Bmws-Mercs)ram their way in when filtering in? You know the one I now tend to stay in the "main" lane rather than the feed in lane, and a lot of the afore mentioned cars opt for the shorter feed in lane and gain a few cars lengths.

I work on the principle "that if I'm in front of you before the roundabout, then I stay in front through the filtering process".

Amazingly they give in and then you get a nice little wave from them followed by a now i'm overtaking manouver from them at the first oprortunity.

Still apart from that calming-relaxing-ina wafty kinda way.

Regards Clive ....(gobxoy)
Trainman   
Tue Apr 17 2012, 09:47am

Member No: #86
I've said it before, Driving a C6 is like sitting in an old comfy armchair, it may not look right, it may have a few scrapes and gouges, but you know what? I DON'T CARE, because I'm comfy.......

The other thing is the smile factor, that the point's where you catch yourself smiling at some other numpty pushing into a queue of traffic, or racing along suddenly to find that their lane is blocked.......

tonyrome   
Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:56am
Member No: #15
Dapprman wrote ...
During my first week I was Mr. Angry with other drivers, after all the speed limit is clerly displayed and it's a driving test failure to go too slow

The speed displayed is the maximum speed, in ideal conditions; there's no requirement to drive at this exact speed. If someone wants to drive at 40mph instead of 50mph, that's still correct. The only time you have to drive at a minimum speed is when there's a blue minimum speed sign and you'll normally only find those on the motorway.
Extant   
Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:01am
Member No: #317
Gobxoy wrote ...

Hi

Mostly calming, but sure does go when you stick your toe down.

I still just can't seem to let (mostly Audis-Bmws-Mercs)ram their way in when filtering in? You know the one I now tend to stay in the "main" lane rather than the feed in lane, and a lot of the afore mentioned cars opt for the shorter feed in lane and gain a few cars lengths.

I work on the principle "that if I'm in front of you before the roundabout, then I stay in front through the filtering process".

Amazingly they give in and then you get a nice little wave from them followed by a now i'm overtaking manouver from them at the first oprortunity.

Still apart from that calming-relaxing-ina wafty kinda way.

Regards Clive ....(gobxoy)

The best car I ever had for dealing with that sort of behaviour was my Maserati Ghibli. A totally unassuming car to look at but with a 2.8, bi-turbo V6 with a phenomoinal kick-down that went like shoight of a shovel. For a long time, there were road works and contraflow on the dual carrigeway to and from work. I would regularly get some git trying to drive up my exhaust as I was pottering along at 50 not wanting any more points. Getting towards the end of the roadworks I could see then edging out getting ready to overtake. Foot to the floor, they would rapidly become a dot in my rear view mirror. Getting to 70 I would hold steady and then wait for a while for them to catch up with, invariably, a WTF is that look. I used to really enjoy that.
James   
Tue Apr 17 2012, 09:34pm
tonyrome wrote ...

Dapprman wrote ...
During my first week I was Mr. Angry with other drivers, after all the speed limit is clerly displayed and it's a driving test failure to go too slow

The speed displayed is the maximum speed, in ideal conditions; there's no requirement to drive at this exact speed. If someone wants to drive at 40mph instead of 50mph, that's still correct. The only time you have to drive at a minimum speed is when there's a blue minimum speed sign and you'll normally only find those on the motorway.

Both points are true. It is a driving test failure to drive excessively slowly. Driving at 15 in a 30 will get you failed. Not reviewing your speed when the limit changes upwards will likely produce the same result. But there's no compulsion to drive at or close to the limit.
Dave Mc   
Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:16am
Member No: #64
I not only feel calm and relaxed while driving my '6' but every time I go to get in it makes me smile. I have a 'That's mine' moment

I can also agree with Richards comments although I didn't have a Maserati Ghibli I did have a Xantia V6 and the only clue as to what was under the bonnet was a very small V6 badge on the boot. When you kicked the auto it was amazing, especially to the person who was tail gating!!
James   
Wed Apr 18 2012, 01:02pm
I am warming to the auto box. Maybe I shouldn't take pleasure in letting someone pass me to rush stop at a light I can see is red and then pushing the sport mode gear button, rolling up gently with a clear lane ahead and then jumping on full power as the lights change.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club